Revision as of 07:27, 26 September 2012
Minchinhampton is in the Cotswolds, England, on a hill about 5 miles south east of Stroud. The market town dates back to the 14th century as do many of the buildings, such as the Market House.
There is one bus an hour (ish) from Stroud.
Alternatively you can drive in. From Cirencester follow the main road, the A419 towards Stroud, once past a cross roads and through some trees, you should come to the airfield, on your left. Turn left just after the airfield (opposite a parking area with a cafe). Following this road will get you into Minchinhampton. You'll be crossing a cattle grid when you enter Minchinhampton. Warning Mind the cows! They are likely to be on the road.
The village is quite small, and the centre is compact. It's easy to see the whole village on foot.
- The main high street in Minchinhampton has a few small, family run shops and cafes.
- The parish church is open during the day time.
- The market house.
(not really that interesting, honest).
- Sometimes there is a small market, under the market house.
- Walk, play ultimate frisbee against the local teams, the biggest being the 'Greebs' and 'Jocks". Usually spinning a disc on the nearby common, or power kite there as well (just to the West of the village).
- Some shops sell local produce. Most of the shops are pretty utilitarian (two Butchers, a chemist, a green grocer). There's one or two antique shops on the main road too
Le Midi, 20 High Street. 01453 889910 Open Tues-Sat 9AM-3PM French Shop situated at the back of Sophie's Restaurant.
its nice and cosy and a great day out!
- Crown Inn, High Street (opposite the market house), 01453 882357, Serves meals all day. Local pub. Meals quite expensive and a bit "manky".
- Ragged Cot, Cirencester Road (actually in Hyde, not Minchinhampton, just to the East of Minchinhampton, along main road, over the cattle grid, at the cross roads, 15 minute walk from top of Butt Street: Some of road's not nice to walk along: Advise driving), 01453 884643, Much nicer food than Crown Inn, but less 'local' atmosphere. Very good restaurant, but pricey. Apparently haunted. Is a pub, restaurant and hotel.
- Sophie's Restaurant, 20 High Street. 01453 885188  Tuesday -Friday 9AM-2PM Coffee and Lunch , Saturday 9.30AM -12.30 Coffee and Patisserie. Selected Saturday Evenings, Restaurant in the centre of town,Winner of Cotswold Life Restaurant of The Year 2005,As recommended within the Good Food Guide 2006.
- The Kitchen 7 High Street (40 yards down hill from the Crown Inn, town centre), 01453 882655, Taste of the West Gold Award winning Cafe, Best cafe and tea room in Gloucestershire 2008 & 2009.
- The Old Lodge, Minchinhampton (West of Minchinhampton, middle of the common), 01453 832047, pub with good beer, reports suggest good food need reviews.
"The Black Horse", Littleworth, Amberly, located just on the edge of the common. Very Popular pub with fantastic panoramic views over the Nailsworth Valley. Excellent Range of Beers and Ciders, with a great menu and good service. 01453 872556.
- See the pubs above
- The Halfway House Box, Box Village Minchinhampton, ☎ 01453 832631, . 11am to 11pm. Sunday Roast Carved at your table , Great Bar Food, A La Carte Menu, 10 minute walk to Minchinhampton, Great Views of the Common. Dog and Children friendly.
- Hunters Lodge, 31 Dr Browns Road Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire (From minchinhampton, drive West, across common. First left (Dr Browns Road) at a cross roads. It will be on your right as you drive towards village. (01453 883588) . double is £50! One report that it was very good.
- No cheap accommodation. Maybe could get away with camping on common, if you're sneaky. (Watch out for cows and horses on common if you do).