Middleburg is a town in Virginia known as the capital of horse country. This quaint town features historic architecture, tree-lined streets, charming and unique shops, and a variety of dining establishments. Middleburg is also home to The Red Fox Inn, touted as the oldest original inn in the country.
Middleburg is a popular place for celebrities to reside or start a second home. Local celebrity residents include Robert Duvall and Willard Scott. Past residents have included President John F. Kennedy and Jackie Kennedy, Elizabeth Taylor, and Pamela Harriman. Olympic equestrian riders, Fortune 500, and heirs are included in the towns prestigious list of residents.
The Civil War features prominently in the town's history, as troops from both Union and Confederate armies camped and skirmished here on their way to Gettysburg. Confederate Colonel John S. Mosby used Middleburg as a base camp from which to raid nearby Union outposts. Self-guided driving tour brochures, audio tapes, and CDs on the Mosby Heritage Area are available for purchase at the Loudoun County Visitors Center in Leesburg.
Annual Middleburg events include the Hunt County Stable Tour held on Memorial Day weekend when more than a dozen major horse estates and equine facilities open their doors to the public, and the annual Christmas Parade on the first Saturday in December which is led by the hounds of the local hunt followed by riders on horseback in their traditional hunting attire.
Getting to Middleburg requires a car, and it is located right on US-50. Coming from D.C., it is best to pick up US-50 from I-66 W. Once you are here, the village is delightfully walkable.
- The National Sporting Library, 102 The Plains Rd, Tel: 540-687-6542, . A research center that preserves and shares the art, literature, and culture of horse and field sports. Rotating exhibits.
Horse pasture near Middleburg
- Books & Crannies, 19 E Washington St, 540-687-6677,  Books for all ages including bestsellers and regional interest books.
- The Christmas Sleigh, 5 East Washington Street, Tel: 540-687-3665, . Specializes in handmade or handcrafted traditional European wares.
- Crème de la Crème, 23 East Washington Street, Tel: 540-687-4796, . Specializing in artful items from Italy and the South of France.
- The Fun Shop The Hunt Country's premier gift shop/department store for over 50 years! Three buildings and two floors of delightful enchantment to be explored and enjoyed! Everything for you, your children, home, parties, and pets. "If The Fun Shop doesn't have it....you don't need it!" 2117 W Washington St, Tel: 540-687-6590/800-371-9924, firstname.lastname@example.org, .
- Home Farm Store, 1 E Washington St, Tel: 540-687-8882, Info@HomeFarmStore.com, . Gourmet butcher, local and organic groceries, wine, and soda fountain.
- Journeymen Saddlers, 18 South Madison Street, Tel: 540-687-5888. Casual country clothing for men and women. Gifts, accessories and repairs.
- Wylie Wagg, 5-B E. Washington St., Tel: 540-687-8727, . Basics and beyond for cats and dogs.
- The French Hound, 101 S. Madison St., 540-687-3018, . French inspired bistro fare in a relaxed country setting.
- Market Salamander, 200 W. Washington St., Tel: 540-687-8011, . Working chefs market with prepared foods, wine, cheese & other gourmet food products.
- Mello Out, 2 East Federal Street, Tel: 540-687-8635. Serving breakfast and lunch, including all types of coffee and espresso drinks, European hot chocolate, teas, sandwiches, fabulous paninis, bagels, soups, and salads. And for your sweet tooth, we offer Cosmic Cupcakes and handmade marshmellos.
- Red Fox Inn Restaurant, 2 E. Washington St., 800-223-1728, email@example.com, . Hearty lunches, and elegant dinners await you in the Red Fox Inn's seven cozy dining rooms -- six of which have original working stone fireplaces and hand-hewn ceiling beams over thick stone and plaster walls. Using only the finest ingredients, the chef and his staff skillfully blend classic techniques with culinary innovation to prepare exciting menus.
- Goodstone Inn & Estate, 36205 Snake Hill Rd., 877-219-4663, . A luxurious country retreat sitting above Goose Creek in Middleburg. The property features five distinctive dwellings on a 265 acre estate. The Inn recently added Hilltoppers Restaurant to its' extensive list of amenities. Member of Small Luxury of the World.
- Middleburg Country Inn, 209 E. Washington St., Tel: 540-687-6082/800-262-6082, . Located in the heart of Middleburg, this historic inn features eight rooms, each with a king size canopy bed and private bath. To sweeten the your visit, amenities include a rich country-style breakfast cooked to order, complimentary ice-cream, and homemade chocolate chip cookies.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!