Middle Bass Island is part of the Lake Erie Islands system. It is located in the center of Lake Erie, a couple of miles north of South Bass Island.
Ferries from the mainland originate from Catawba Island. Ferries run several times/day during the prime tourist season, scheduled sailings during spring/fall as weather allows. There is a small airport on the island (2085 x 67 ft.), as well. Middle Bass can be reached by pleasure boats, but lacks the fine natural harbor found at South Bass. A new 300+ slip marina is planned to open soon, and 50 slips are available at the State Park.
A small ferry, the Sonny S, takes passengers to/from nearby Put-in-Bay, which has a grocery and other services.
Given the small size of the island, Golf carts are popular as transportation. Cars are permitted on island roads, though speed limits are low. Bikes are a common means of transportation and the island can easily be walked as well.
- the former Lonz Winery is a castle-like structure which is now part of the State Park.
You can shop at Aunt Erma's for clothes toys for the young, and accesories.
- J.F. Walleyes, near the ferry dock.
Middle Bass Island is much less "touristy" than South Bass/Put-in-Bay, and has far fewer drinking establishments.
- St. Hazard's Resort has a well-stocked bar & microbrewery.
- St. Hazard's Resort, on the east side of the island has condo-type accommodations and camping.
- Middle Bass Island State Park has 21 non-electric campsites. The newest State Park in Ohio is spartan in other respects, with a vault toilet.
- Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel, 439 Lorain Ave, ☎ 1-888-742-7829, . checkin: 3:00; checkout: 11:00. Put-in-Bay's newest full service resort with large heated pool and swim up bar, worlds largest Jacuzzi and the islands only full service conference center with all rooms and facilities located on site. This Resort is serviced by the Sonny S Ferry and is the closest hotel to Middle Bass Island
A small ferry (Sonny S ) travels to [Put-in-Bay]]/South Bass Island. This ferry only runs until 7PM on weekdays and Midnight on weekends.