Downtown Miami is a district in Miami, steel-and-glass buildings have sprung up around downtown, the heart of the city. By day there's plenty of activity downtown, as suited lawyers and bankers share the sidewalks with Latino merchants wearing open-neck, intricately embroidered shirts called guayaberas. But it's still pretty quiet when all the merchants close up Miami shops for the night. Downtown Miami is divided into four distinct areas, Uptown, Park West, the Central Business District and Brickell, and then themselves into many subdistricts. The northernmost area is Uptown, which is divided into the subdistricts of the Omni, Wynwood/Edgewater, and Midtown. To the south of Uptown is Park West, the Central Business District and south of the Miami River, Brickell, divided into Upper Brickell and Lower Brickell. The CBD is separated from Brickell by the Miami River, NW 7th St marks the line between Park West and the CBD, the Dolphin Expressway separates Park West and Uptown, and Broadway splits Upper and Lower Brickell apart.
The Metrorail has stops throughout Miami as well as Miami-Dade County with connections to Tri-Rail to Miami International Airport, all Miami-Dade County bus lines, Tri-Rail and Amtrak. The main bus station in downtown is located in Uptown, in the Omni.
Public Transportation in the downtown area is used more than in any other part of Miami and is a vital part of downtown life. The Metromover free of charge train system runs 3 lines through downtown (the downtown loop, the Omni loop, and the Brickell loop), and the Metrorail, Miami-Dade County's heavy rail system, makes 3 stops in the downtown area at the Historic Overtown/Lyric Theatre Station, Government Center Station, and the Brickell Station.
- Bayfront Park, 301 Biscayne Blvd. This park has two amphitheaters (one large and a one smaller) and hosts live performances. This park also has memorials for the astronauts who perished in the Challenger spaceship accident, former president John F. Kennedy (the JFK Torch of Friendship), and a fountain dedicated to Claude Pepper, a distinguished US congressman.
Bayside Marketplace is reachable by the MetroMover to College-Bayside station. There is shopping, dining, and special boat tours of surrounding islands, including the island where celebrities live.
- Daysail and Sunset Sailing Trips, 555 NE 15th st #200, ☎ 561-281-2689, . Take a day or evening sailing trip around Downtown Miami, Miami Beach and Biscayne Bay.
- Miami Boat Rentals and Yacht Charters, 10800 Collins Avenue (Collins at Haulover Beach Marina), ☎ 305-490-0049, . Fun and affordable Miami boat rentals and yacht charters. Enjoy Miami from the water - charter a yacht today! Visit website for online specials including a free jet ski or free hour on select vessels. Half day and full day yacht charters available.
- Buchwald Jewelers, 36 N.E. 1st street, suite 123, ☎ 305-373-love, . 10-5. The third largest jewelry building in th U.S. over 100 jewelry stores under one roof.
- Acero316, Inc, 36 NE 1st Street #622 (Sixth Floor) (Seybold Building), ☎ 786-494-0096, . 9-5. A jeweler known for their wholesale prices.
- Sabor a Peru, 2923 Biscayne Blvd, ☎ (305) 573-9637, . This place may appear to be a small hole in the wall restaurant but it is extremely well maintained and upkept and usually has a short wait for a table. They also offer take out and delivery. This venue is very popular. If you haven't tried Peruvian food before you must order the Ceviche (Fish/Seafood) and the Lomo Saltado (Beef).
- InterContinental Miami, 100 Chopin Plaza. (http://www.icmiamihotel.com) 5 Star hotel. A Modern downtown hotel overlooking Biscayne Bay, adjacent to Bayside Marketplace, in the heart of Miami Florida. 641 newly redecorated rooms and 34 suites, offering views of the skyline and Biscayne Bay. 66,000 square feet of meeting space, including 30 meeting and conference rooms.
- Hotel Urbano, 2500 Brickell Ave, . 3 Star boutique style hotel near South Beach.
- Marriott Biscayne Bay, 1633 North Bayshore Drive, ☎ 305-374-3900, . This hotel sits on Biscayne Bay and is centrally located in relationship to South Beach, American Airlines Arena, Bicentennial Park, Midtown, and the Design District. All of the rooms offer some sort of view of the bay with a balcony. This hotel sits East of Biscayne Blvd which is very important since the area west of Biscayne Blvd is a little sketchy. It is under $10 to take a cab to South Beach as well as Port of Miami and the other venues listed above. The hotel is also close to many restaurants that are walking distance or provide delivery.
- Trump National Doral Miami, 4400 NW 87th Avenue, ☎ (305) 592-2000, . A resort offering hotel guestrooms and suites, championship golf, spa services, dining establishments and event facilities.