The Mentawai islands are a chain of islands in Indonesia off the western coast of Sumatra, recognized as having some of the most perfect surfing breaks in the world. However, because most waves break over very sharp and shallow coral reefs, only experienced surfers should attempt them.
Mentawai people use Bahasa Indonesia and they also have their own Mentawai language.
Over 30 surf charter yachts are based in Padang harbour, around 100km away from the islands on the Sumatra mainland.
The most comfortable Ferry to Mentawai is Ferry Ambu Ambu (made from Steel). Since September 2009, the Ambu-Ambu Ferry travels overnight from Padang Bungus to Muara Siberut 2. and 3. Thursday nights of each month. From Muara Siberut to Padang Bungus, the ferry travels 2. and 3. Friday nights of each month. The ferry departs from Padang at 9:00 p.m. and arrives at approximately 7:00 a.m. the following morning. The Sumber Rejeki traditional Ferry (made from wood) travels overnight from Padang Bungus to Muara Siberut every Monday evening. From Muara Siberut to Padang, the ferry travels every tuesday nights.
Three ways to travel to the Mentawai Islands.
- Join an organized boat charter.
- Take a ferry (Ambu-Ambu ferry).
- Fly by seaplane.
Traditional Mentawai peoples
- mentawai trekking siberut, padang,indonesia (firstname.lastname@example.org), ☎ +6281374006060, . MENTAWAI ISLAND ”SIBERUT TRIBE” Days 6 Nights ( Depart on Monday, Sumber Rezeky Ferry Padang - Siberut ) DAY 01 : PADANG – MUARA SIBERUT (D) Welcome & Greeting service upon arrival at “BIM” Airport. Transfer to Hotel for rest and waiting for departure time to Muara Siberut in the evening. The boat departure at 18.00. overnight on board. DAY 02 : MUARA SIBERUT – THE NATIVE’S VILLAGE (B,L,D) Early morning arrive in Muara Siberut, after getting permit from the local government, taking motorized canoe to Rorogot or Madobak, it depend on the water in the river, walking to sakaleo or to Bat Nusa about 3,5 hours. Overnight at Bat Nusa or Sakaleo at Native’s House. DAY 03 : EXPLORING THE NATIVE’S ACTIVITIES (B,L,D) After having B’fast exploring the daily activities of Native’s Mentawai Tribe Such as : Hunting, Fishing, Making Sago Powder (Main food of Mentawaian Tribe), when you are lucky, you have chance to see the traditional dances of Mentawai during the ceremonies in the evening. DAY 04 : WALKING TO ANOTHER VILLAGE (B,L,D) In the morning free at own leasure together with the Native’s before leaving to Bat Alemoi by walk about 2,5 hours. Overnight at Native’s House at Bat Elemoi. DAY 05 : BAT ELEMOI – MUARA SIBERUT (B,L,D) Half day exploring the Native’s activities before leaving to Muara Siberut such as : To see how they make Loin Clothes from the Bark of Tree, Making Tatoes, Bow and Poison Arrow, Etc. The Ferry depart to Padang in the Evening. Overnight on board. DAY 06 : ARRIVING IN PADANG (B) Early morning arrive in Padang, transfer to Hotel or Airport for your next destination. Tour END Inclusions * English speaking guide and Local Ranger * Porter 1 rag seg/person in trekking * Permit fee and entrance fee * Accommodation at Native’s House or Simple Bungalow at the beach * Hotel in Padang on the first day (Day Used) * All Transport to complete the journey (Ticket Ferry, Motorized Canoe) * Meals as specified in the Itinerary, All food brought from Padang, along the Journey in the island the food is carried by porters and cooked by Guide and help by his crew. * Private return transfer APT – HOTEL – Harbour Exclusions * Hotel in Padang in the last night * Insurance * Other personal needs * Tips
Surf spots include:
- Beng Beng. A very consistent world class wave, an extremely rippable left. This spot is loads of fun and probably one of the easiest waves to surf in the Mentawai’s. It’s the deepest and safest wave in the area and also pick up a bit more swell than other locales. 5 more breaks in the area, including E-Bay and Pitstops. Nestled inside a small bay with one of the most scenic views imaginable all around you.
- E-Bay. This is a hollow left that barrels off the take-off with a short wall down the line. A great option when a lot of swell is hitting. A hollow, fast, powerful left. A world class wave for experienced surfers. Watch out for the two rocks on the inside. Great barrels, and turns into a surfing paradise at 6 feet offshore. There is a heavy warble that hits as you are taking off. Make the drop and don’t get thrown by that first warble and chances are you’ll get a mean aqua blue barrel. The scenery alone will blow you away. Besides its aesthetic beauty, double overhead E-bay is a beast and forces to be reckon with.
- Nipussi or Pussies. A shorter right that breaks down the point from Bank Vaults. Definitely fun and rippable. Usually has fairly deep water from the takeoff to the inside. Ends in a riptide that sucks all the water back out to sea. A good option when there’s not much swell, and usually the most consistent spot in the area.
- Pitstops. This is the right off the peak at E-Bay. A playful right that can offer some cover-ups off the take-off, but mostly a high performance wave with air sections at the end. Ends in a sandy channel.
The following surf camp provides instruction:
- Surf Camp Siberut, ☎ +6281374006060 (email@example.com), . Max = 6 surfer and min = 3 surfer. Surfer camp has electricity from 6 am until 10 pm, fan, shower, refrigerator. $500/person for 12 days, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, pickup, service/guide, ferry ticket, snacks.