Memmingen is a city of about 41,000 people in the German federal state of Bavaria. The numerous courtyards, patricians' houses and fortification in its old town are well worth seeing. Due to its proximity to the Allgäu region it is also a popular base for tourists who are planning to visit the Bavarian Alps or Lake Constance.
The so called "Wine Market"
Memmingen is a small town with central functions in a rural area of Bavaria. Tourism was once limited to guests from places close by. With the opening of the Allgäu Airport increasingly more international guests discover the charm of the town which is conveniently located for trips to nearby tourist regions and the popular destinations Ulm, Augsburg and Munich.
Memmingen can be easily reached via car, train and plane.
Memmingen Airport (IATA: FMM) (until 2008 Allgäu-Airport/Memmingen)  is located about 2.5 km from the city centre of Memmingen. Ryanair serves the airport (named Airport Munich-West) and offers flights from Alghero, Alicante, Dublin, Edinburgh, Faro, Girona, London-Stansted, Malaga,Oslo (Moss-Rygge), Palma, Porto , Reus, Rome, Shannon, Stockholm-Skavsta, Trapani and Valencia. Wizzair connects Memmingen with Sibiu, Kiev, Belgrade, Skopje, Targu Mures, Cluj-Napoca and Bucharest. A bus service in front of the terminal connects the airport with the train station in the centre of town. The bus ride with the bus lines 810/811 or 2 costs €2.50 and takes about 10 min. A taxi from the airport to the town will cost between €10 and €15.
The railway station is about 5 min walk away from the town centre. Remember there are special train tickets for Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. With these ticket up to five people can use all regional trains for a whole day for about 38 Euro (all together, for single: 22 €). Both the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket and the Bayern-Ticket are valid for travelling to Memmingen. The Bayern-Ticket also covers the costs für the local public bus transport. More information about these tickets can be obtained from the Deutsche Bahn . There are luggage lockers next to the building. If all lockers are occupied it is suggested to ask at the DB booking office for alternatives.
Memmingen is right at the intersection of the A 7 (Danish border - Hamburg - Hanover - Ulm - Memmingen - Füssen - Austrian border) and A 96 (Austrian border - Memmingen - Munich) autobahns.
The town center is small enough to walk to all places of interest in the city. You can get a free map at the tourist office ("Stadtinformation") at the market square.
Going by bike is a fast way to get around in Memmingen. This way you get around independently from the rather poor public transportation and moreover this way you might even visit some attractions in and around Memmingen which are not easy to reach by foot. Special signs for cyclists point the direction to regional bicycle routes. The Iller-Radweg is a long-distance route leading to Ulm in the north and Oberstdorf in the south. The Kneipp-Radweg leads to the spas Bad Grönenbach and Bad Wörishofen. Bicycles can be hired at:
- Rad- und Rollercenter Heiss, Wernher-von-Braun-Str. 18, phone +49-(0)8331-925500-0.
- Memmingen Airport, phone +49-(0)8331-984200-0.
- Radl-Stadl, Unterdorfstr. 29 - 33, phone +49-(0)8331-82537.
However, if you you plan to visit nearby attractions out of town taking a bus might be the right choice. The bus station is next to the train station. Tickets can be bought when entering the bus. Please check the return times in advance. After 7 p.m. there is no regular bus service but a so called "Anrufsammeltaxi" (hailed shared taxi), where a telephone notification in advance is necessary. Connections for public transport (within Bavaria) can be looked up at www.bayern-fahrplan.de. For prices see this link.
If you choose to discover the countryside around Memmingen, smaller villages in the Allgäu region or if you want to follow the touristic route "Oberschwäbische Barockstraße" you may decide to hire a car. At the airport you will find the car hire agencies Sixt, Hertz and Europcar. Another car hire service by Europcar is near the train station. A local car hire service called "Auto Greif" is located at Colmarerstr. 34.
Medieval old town
The medieval old town center consists of several attractions:
- The Marktplatz (market place) is one of the most picturesque sites in the town. It is surrounded by the town hall, the Großzunft(Guildhouse) and the Steuerhaus (tax house). On Tuesday and Saturday mornings there is a farmers market, where fresh vegetables and fruits are sold.
- The Medieval city gates and towers form a part of the old towns fortification: About 2 kilometers of the town wall, including five towers and five gates, have been preserved.
- The St. Martin's church is one of the oldest churches in Upper Swabia and the towns landmark. The building with a height of about 65 metres is still today the town's highest building. Seasonally from May to October the tower of the church can be visited in the course of a guided tour . Tours in English may be available, if you ask in advance (phone: +49-8331-856920).
- Antonierkloster: The well preserved former Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony monastery has been built in the 15th century. Today the building is used as local library, museum and event house for lectures, Kabarett or art exhibitions.
- Kreuzherrenloster: Former monastery
Around the old town walls, where the moats used to be in the Middle Ages, public park areas have been created. The moats have been filled up with exception of the "Hohe Wacht" in the south of the old town and a part of the "Königsgraben" south of the "Westertorplatz". One of the parks is the Zollergarten a short walk north of the market place.
In the north outside the old town there is a wider-ranging park named "Neue Welt". Although it is a 10 minute walk away from the center it is a popular place for relaxation. A beer garden, Kneipp facility, volleyball field, streetball court and a skate park are a part of it.
Municipal park "New World"
- Walk along the touristic routes Roter Weg (red route) and Grüner Weg (green route). These will lead you to most of the sights in town.
- Fischertag (Fisherman's day) in July
- Wallenstein Festival at several places in the historic town . With about 4,500 participants one of the biggest historical reenactments in Europe. It takes place every four years. (next time in July 2012) and commemorates the invasion by Wallenstein in 1630.
- Annual fair Memminger Jahrmarkt in October which is special because of its location. Public streets and places right in the town centre are closed to traffic to make room for the fair.
- Eissporthalle, Hühnerbergstraße 19, ☎ +49-8331-62430, . Visit the ice rink Eissporthalle Memmingen and do some ice-skating or Eisstockschießen (Bavarian Curling). Usually opened from September until March. 4,00€. edit
- Bowling: There are bowling alleys for ten-pin bowling and for nine pin bowling. Ten-pin bowling is popular among people of all ages. There is only one bowling center close to the city:
- Barneys Bowling, Haußmannstraße 2a, . Bowling Center with six lanes and a restaurant in the southern part of the town. edit
- Nine pin bowling or Kegeln, as the Germans call it, is the traditional bowling game in Germany as in other European countries. Alleys for nine-pin bowling can be found in traditional pubs or restaurants. Usually you will do a reservation for the bowling alley in advance and go there with several people so that you cab build a team:
- Sportgaststätte des TV-Memmingen, Bodenseestr. 49, ☎ +49-8331-71488, . edit
- Bierkeller, Braunstr. 2, ☎ +49-8331-9854677. edit
- Gasthaus Rößle, An der Hofet 8, ☎ +49-8331-86467, . edit
- Maximilian-Kolbe-Haus, Donaustraße 1, ☎ +49-8331-85540. edit
The major shopping street starts at the marketplace and leads directly to the Schrannenplatz.
- Zur blauen Traube, Kramerstraße 8, ☎ +49-8331-3326. edit
- Weinstube Weber am Bach, Untere Bachgasse 2, . 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., daily. New italian restaurant in a refurbished traditional building. edit
- Tanivera, Hallhof 9, ☎ +49-8331-9272778, . New italian restaurant in a historical building. edit
- Moritz, Weinmarkt 6-8, ☎ +49-8331-9299224, . edit
- Las Carretas, Schrannengasse 5 (on the 1st floor of a building right at the Schrannenplatz), ☎ +49-8331-496676. Mexican food and cocktail bar. Happy hour from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. edit
- Klösterle, Im Klösterle 1, ☎ +49-8331-497600, . Tue-Sat 5:30 p.m. - open end & Sat 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.. Recommendable regional meals. edit
- Ristorante Palazzo, Goldhoferstraße 7, ☎ +49-8331-4906855. Situated on a business park outside the inner city; it's one of the best Italian restaurants in the region. edit
- Taj Mahal, Lindauer Straße 1, ☎ +49 (0)8331 86981. Indian food. edit
- Café Hamptons, Marktplatz 16 (right at the market square), . Modern mediterranean café. edit
- Coffee Fellows, Am Theaterplatz, . A coffeehouse chain which is popular in southern Germany. Free WiFi. edit
- Enjoy, Schrannenplatz 6, ☎ +49(0)8331/9913535, . Modern café in the fourth floor on the roofs of the Schrannenplatz square. Also offers an outdoor area and a panoramic view over the square an the "Fraunkirche" church. edit
For a pub crawl start your way at Lindentorstraße near the train station, head to the Schrannenplatz suare and then continue along the street Baumstraße. On your way you will find an nice number of pubs and bars. While on weekends all pubs are open, many of them are closed on weekdays. Some of them might be open at the early evening, but close down for the rest of the day if there are no guests. Especially on Sunday and Monday night the pubs are empty if not closed and you might prefer to go to a nice café earlier that evening instead.
- Münchner Kindl, Lindentorstraße 5, ☎ +49-8331-9748899. open daily. edit
- Green Tree, Baumstraße 3. Irish pub. edit
- Barfüßer, Schweizerberg 17, ☎ +49-8331-9278103, . daily from 11 p.m. until midnight, on weekends until 1 a.m.. Microbrewery and beer garden. Bavarian cuisine. edit
- Barium (Rohrbecks), Bahnhofstraße 1, ☎ +49-8331-12276, . edit
- Weinstube zum Goldenen Löwen, Schrannenplatz 2, ☎ +49-8331-5290. 18:00-00:00, closed on Sundays. The oldest wine tavern in Memmingen in a historical building from the 16th century. edit
- Chaplins Club, Weberstraße, ☎ +49-176-79622768. Tue - Sat from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m., Sun from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.. edit
Clubs and discos
- M1 (Club, Eventhouse), Bahnhofstraße 16 (Starting at the train/bus station just cross the street.), ☎ +49 (0)176 84119391, . Fridays, Saturdays, the days before a holiday. A club right in the city center. 6€, before 11pm and after 3am 3€. edit
- Kaminwerk (Kulturzentrum Memmingen), Anschützstraße 1, ☎ +49 (0) 8331.991199, . irregularly. Acutally this is not really a club, but a recommendable event location. There are parties, concerts, movies, readings and more. So you have to check the website to see when there is which kind of event. edit
- Five Club, Allgäuer Straße 12, ☎ +49 (0)8331 9846990, . edit
- Gasthof Lindenbad, Lindenbadstraße 18 (550 m to the station), ☎ +49-8331-3278, . Supposedly the lowest price for a stay in Memmingen. Less than a 10 minutes walk to the town center. SGL 25/30€; DBL 50/60€; BKF 5€; garage 5€. (47.989392,10.188648) edit
- Pension Erb, Zollergraben 5 (centrally located; only 3 minutes walking distance from the market square; 600m to the station), ☎ +49-8331-84868, . Very central and yet quiet and reasonably priced. Breakfast included. SGL 41€; DBL 71€. edit
- Gasthof Schwabenhof, Illerstraße 42 (1.4 km to the station), ☎ +49-8331-62872, . Located outside the city center. Might be a choice for low-budget tourists. SGL 39€; DBL 68€. edit
- Hotel Weisses Ross, Salzstraße 12 (400 m to the station. Very central.), ☎ +49-8331-9360, . Ideally located, good reputation. SGL 79€; DBL 115€; TPL 135€. edit
- Hotel Falken, Roßmarkt 3 - 5 (500 m to the station), ☎ +49-8331-94510, . SGL 75/78 €; 100/120,00€; TPL 138€; EB 19€; dog 8,50€. edit
- Hotel Engelkeller, Königsgraben 9 (850m to the station), ☎ +49-8331-9844490, . SGL 82€; DBL 118€; EB 25€; baby cot 18€; dog 8€, free parking. (47.985732,10.176322) edit
- Drexel's Parkhotel, Ulmer Str. 7 (next to the city hall; 700m to the station), ☎ +49 (0)8331 9320, . SGL 63-89€; DBL 84-117€. edit
A post office in the inner city of Memmingen can be found at Lindentorstraße 22.
Other post offices:
- Machnigstraße 4
- Augsburger Straße 90
- Wernher-von-Braun-Straße 21
- Dr.-Karl-Lenz-Straße 4
- Oberer Kirchweg 1
There is an internet cafe "Internet Café Unlimited" at Kalchstraße 35.
At some cafes such as Coffee Fellows and Cafe Rau you can get free access using Wifi. At the train station there is a Wifi hotspot with 30 minutes free access. Another hotspot with 30 minutes of free internet is around Marktplatz, Maxmilianstraße, Schrannenplatz and Frauenkirchplatz.
- Buxheim Charterhouse
- Schwäbisches Bauernhofmuseum in Illerbeuren: Swabian Open-Air Museum with historic farmhouses. Weekdays it can be reached by bus.
- Benedictine abbey church in the village of Ottobeuren. The abbey can be reached by regional bus from the central bus station (next to the the train station) in Memmingen.
Citys of touristic interest around Memmingen can be reached easily by train or by car:
- Legoland Deutschland near Günzburg 
- Skyline Park near Bad Wörishofen