| || |
|−|Take Route #2 to get there by car. Mayaguez also has a local airport - which has daily flights to and from San Juan operated by Cape Air. |+|
Mayaguez also has a local airportwhich has daily flights to and from San Juan operated by Cape Air.
| || |
Revision as of 19:04, 6 July 2011
Mayaguez is one of the largest cities on the West side of the island of Puerto Rico. From there you can travel by ferry to the Dominican Republic.
Mayagüez is served by PR-2, a primary four-lane road that links San Juan and Ponce and passes through most towns in the northern, western, and southwestern coasts of Puerto Rico. Should you drive it from the north, you'll enter the municipality through the bridge over the Río Grande de Añasco; from the south, you will enter town by driving past the Mayagüez Mall, right after the overpass that serves as the terminus to road PR-100, which leads to the resort town of Cabo Rojo.
Mayaguez also has a local airport, which has daily flights to and from San Juan operated by Cape Air.
- Mayaguez Zoo, (Take Route 108 past the University, then turn right at the sign for the zoo.). We-Su 8:30AM-4PM. The zoo contains a nice selection of animals which are divided into two groups, the African Forest and the African Savannah. The zoo was recently renovated and it is well kept. A favorite feature of the zoo is the bird sanctuary where you go into a open outside room with a netting ceiling where colorful tropical birds and parrots are free to fly and hang out with you. (Note this closes before the zoo itself.) You may see friendly iguanas walking by seeking a cool shaded spot.
- University of Puerto Rico - The Mayaguez Campus is the college of Arts and Sciences. It has a renowned engineering school with companies recruiting graduates from the mainland United States.
- Visit the colonial style city Hall and Cathedral.
- Visit the local parks: Parque de los proceres, Parque del tercer milenio.
- Visit the museums: MuSA in the University of Puerto Rico and the Eugenio Maria de Hostos Museum in Rio Cañas area of the city.
- Mayaguez is similar to most U.S. cities in that you will find stores such as Sears, Wal-Mart, and KMart.
In addition United States Chain restaurants like Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell, Sizzler, Applebees, etc. can also be found here.
- Gonzalez Sea Food, Carr 102, Km 6.6, Guanajibo, ☎ 787-265-7497.
- Mia Bistro, Calle Del Rio Norte #13 (In Downtown Mayaguez, facing the Catholic Chruch, (in front of Plaza Colon) two blocks to your left.), ☎ (787) 831-6100, . 11-6. Lunch is a fusion of Puerto Rican/European cuisine, but dinner leans more toward Italian. Dinner Thursday-Saturday 6pm-10pm $8-$20.
- Pizza Circo (El Circo), found in the Mayagüez Mall, ☎ 787.832.3556. Great pizza for a good price with fantastic service. There is also a good selection of sandwiches and italian food. Must try the home made Gelato as well - it's a treat.
- Sancho Panza Restaurant, on the Mendez Vigo Rd. For a mix of Italian and local cuisine
- Siglo XX Restaurant, on José De Diego Street. Local Puerto Rican Food
The nearby towns of Rincon, Aguada & Isabela offer beautiful beaches, surfing and accommodations. Head South to the bioluminescent by at La Parguera.