| || |
Take Route 2 to get there by car. Mayaguez also has a local airport - which has daily flights to and from San Juan operated by
American Eagle / American Airlines. |+|
Take Route 2 to get there by car. Mayaguez also has a local airport - which has daily flights to and from San Juan operated by .
| || |
Revision as of 17:08, 13 July 2010
Mayaguez is one of the largest cities on the West side of the island of Puerto Rico. From there you can travel by ferry to the Dominican Republic.
Take Route #2 to get there by car. Mayaguez also has a local airport - which has daily flights to and from San Juan operated by Cape Air.
- Mayaguez Zoo, (Take Route 108 past the University, then turn right at the sign for the zoo.). We-Su 8:30AM-4PM. The zoo contains a nice selection of animals which are divided into two groups, the African Forest and the African Savannah. The zoo was recently renovated and it is well kept. A favorite feature of the zoo is the bird sanctuary where you go into a open outside room with a netting ceiling where colorful tropical birds and parrots are free to fly and hang out with you. (Note this closes before the zoo itself.) You may see friendly iguanas walking by seeking a cool shaded spot.
- University of Puerto Rico - The Mayaguez Campus is the college of Arts and Sciences. It has a renowned engineering school with companies recruiting graduates from the mainland United States.
- Visit the colonial style city Hall and Cathedral.
- Visit the local parks: Parque de los proceres, Parque del tercer milenio.
- Visit the museums: MuSA in the University of Puerto Rico and the Eugenio Maria de Hostos Museum in Rio Cañas area of the city.
- Mayaguez is similar to most U.S. cities in that you will find stores such as Sears, Wal-Mart, and KMart.
- For a mix of Italian and local cuisine try to go to Sancho Panza Restaurant on the Mendez Vigo Rd.
- Local food can also be found on Siglo XX Restaurant on the José De Diego Street.
- United States Chain restaurants like Burger King, Taco Bell, Applebees, etc. can also be found here.
- Pizza Circo found in Mayagüez Mall, turn left at Wal-Mart.
- Mia Bistro, Calle Del Rio Norte #13 (In Downtown Mayaguez, facing the Catholic Chruch, (in front of Plaza Colon) two blocks to your left.), ☎ (787) 831-6100, . 11-6. Lunch is a fusion of Puerto Rican/European cuisine, but dinner leans more toward Italian. Dinner Thursday-Saturday 6pm-10pm $8-$20.