Matmata is a village in the south of Tunisia, famous for its troglodyte (cave) dwellings. Scenes from a number of Star Wars movies were filmed here.
The Hotel Sidi Driss
, home to Luke Skywalker
- There are regular daytime services by louage (shared taxi) or bus (8 daily) from Gabes (40 km north-east).
- A daily bus service runs to Tunis (450 km) via Sfax and Sousse.
- By car - Matmata lies about 45min inland (south-west) from Gabes on a sealed road. Douz lies about 1hr 30min to the west.
- The Hotel Sidi Driss, where scenes from the Lars homestead in Star Wars were filmed. Accommodation is simple (the bedrooms are formed from individual caves hollowed out from the rock, with shared bathroom facilities), but unique; visit for a day trip or spend the night (see below).
- Ask your hotel if they can arrange a tour of a traditional troglodyte (cave) dwelling; many such properties are located around the village and are today still inhabited by local families.
- There is a small museum behind the Hotel Sidi Driss, displaying local history.
- The stone village of Tamezret, 10km west of town on the Douz road makes an interesting side trip.
- The Hotel Sidi Driss (6070 Matmata Ancienne, +216 (0)75 240 005) is the must-stay location in Matmata for any Star Wars fanatics. The hotel has about 20 rooms / caves, shared bathroom facilities and a restaurant and small bar. From US$10/night per person including breakfast.