Revision as of 00:25, 8 September 2010
Marausa  is in Trapani Province, Sicily.
Local Trains run between Trapani and Marsala during the day. The local station is called Locogrande and is just outside of Marausa, near the cantina.
AST public bus services run services to Trapani (city) from both the seaside Lido and the small town via Paceco and Nubia (30 minute journey).
The Marsala spur of the A29 Autostrada ends 1km south of Marausa. Marausa has its own junction with this motorway onto the (Strada Provinciale) SP21 which runs between Trapani and Marsala. Local roads are signposted and directions to the coastal Lido di Marausa resort are marked.
Ryanair services from accross Europe serve 'Vincenzo-Florio' Trapani Airport (also signposted as 'Birgi Airport') - just 4km from Marausa town on the SP21 road. Alternatively, Palermo 'Falcone-Borsellino' airport is 80km away on the A29 motorway.
Marausa is a good base to explore western Sicily from. It is well positioned for its own local beaches, and has excellent motorway and strategic road links to the whole of the west.
- Salt Museum, Via Chiusa Nubia - 91027, . Everything on the history of salt production in the area and trapani's important position in the ancient 'Salt Road' and trading routes to the orient. A small restaurant is also attached.
- Old fishing harbour and Torre Di Mezzo lighthouse.
- Nubia and the Salt Pan museum.
- Erice Mountain (30 minutes by car and cable car)
- Trapani City (cathederal, old quarter and markets)
- Egadi Islands (beaches and diving to die for)
- San Vito and Zingaro Nature Reserve (beaches you have only dreamed of)
- Marsala (world famous desert wines and museums)
- Mozia (Pheonecian Island, Mosaics etc)
Beaches! Between May and October the beaches and waters of Marausa warm up and positively scorch in July and August. In summer months there are outdoor basketball championships in the local square, together with beach-volley tournaments in Lido di Marausa. Local performers sometimes stage outdoor plays in the square in Marausa, or the seasonal stage by the Torre di Mezzo lighthouse by the coast in the Lido. Speedboats can be hired from the seafront marina and the local Residents assiciation often organise events for the family on the local beaches in summer.
Further afield, open-air concerts are held in Paceco and up on the top of Mount Erice in the medieval square in summer months. Every Easter Trapani hosts 'I Misteri' a world famous procession of carved wooden statues depicting Christ and other religious figures in a 3-day festival.
- Club Nautico Marausa - Marina (Boat Mooring, Hire and Servicing), Next to the bar on Marausa Lido seafront, . The place to hire small boats from, or moor your own while you stay. Friendly owners.
- ASD Volaturi Vela Club (Wind Surfing School), C/da San Teodoro, Marsala, ☎ +393385049616, . A friendly locally run windsurfing school where you can take one or many lessons. Operates south of Marausa, towards the Airport and Mozia - collection by minibus by arrangement.
- Nonsolo Cicli (Tutto per Auto - Moto - Bici), Via E.Rinaldi, 33 - Marausa 91020 (TP), ☎ +390923841239, . A friendly bicycle hire shop.
- Guardia Medica / First Aid Point (Guardia Medica Marausa), Piazza Municipio, Marausa (TP), ☎ +390923842515, . First Aid point for tourists and small accidents. For more serious incidents call 112 and ask for an Ambulanza. Or head to A&E/Casualty at the main hospital in Trapani
In the town of Marausa, the local shops comprise: bakery, supermarkets, electrical, hardware, post office, internet cafe, toyshops, gardenware, books and gifts, groceries, off licence, cycle hire shop, bank and 2 ATMs, and a pharmacy. There are three Petrol Stations (Esso, IP and API). A church, public square, public telephones and several bars.
In summer months, local businesses serve the houses in the Seaside resort with mobile shops in vans selling fish, vegetables, meat and other groceries. On the other side of the bridge over the motorway, you'll find a couple who farm a large piece of land and sell their delicious produce by the side of the road for a fraction of the supermarket prices.
Trapani, Marsala and Paceco have many more shops than Marausa, as well as street markets, fish markets, diving shops, clothing etc - so head there for greater shopping options.
- Roadside Grocers, nr Marausa Railway Stn, Strada Provinciale, Locogrande (Over the motorway flyover on SP21, before the Cantina and on the right-hand side). Delicious vegetables, fruit, herbs and other natural groceries grown in the fields alongside the road and sold direct to you by the farmer and his family for less than the supermarket price. Shop Local!
- Babilla Store, Via E.Rinaldo (Between the Post Office and Pizza Chef), ☎ +390923843064. Cards, gifts and novelties for the home
- Supermercato ISSIMO, Via E.Rinaldo 23a (Near the IP petrol station), ☎ +390923842549. Moderate sized Supermarket run by three friendly sisters
- Supermercato Morello, Via E.Rinaldo 111 (Near the church and Bank), ☎ +390923841006. Small sized Supermarket with friendly staff
- Vin D'Honneur, Via E.Rinaldo (Next to Pizza Chef and Villa Speranza). Small Bottega selling local food delicacies, wines and gift items. Affliated with the Villa Speranza B&B enterprise next door.
- TotoEdicola Cartolibreria (newsagent), Via E.Rinaldo, 155b (Between the Post Office and Morello supermarket). Offering magazines, newspapers, stationery, dvds, books, toys and gifts. Fax and internet service available
- Panificio D'ANGELO - Forno a Legna (bakery), Via E.Rinaldo (In the middle of the town not far from the Esso Station), ☎ +390923841557. Fresh bread, cakes and snacks baked daily
- Pescheria Bertolino - (Fishmongers), Via E.Rinaldo (In the middle of the town not far from the church), ☎ +393384232652. Fresh fish caught locally... well, in the sea, not the fields!
- Mascelleria da Nicola - (Butchers), Via E.Rinaldo, 123 (In the middle of the town near the fishmongers, opposite the church), ☎ +390923841768. Local pork prepared by a local family. Home delivery service available.
- Carni Locali - di Peppe Alcamo - (Butchers), Via E.Rinaldo, 107 (In the middle of the town near the other butcher and the grocers), ☎ +390923841032. Local livestock prepared by a local family. Home delivery service available.
- OrtoFrutta - Le Delizie - (Grocers), Via E.Rinaldo (In the middle of the town near the Carni Locali Butchers), ☎ +390923841506. Fresh local vegetables and fruit, alongside a basic selection of local products such as wine, oil, cheese and olives. Very friendly staff.
- Farmacia Dr Guiseppe Casuccio - (Pharmacy/Chemists), Via E.Rinaldo, 65 (In the middle of the town on the opposite side from the bank, just down from the Fishmongers), ☎ +390923842641. For all your medical drug needs. Open daily and occasional night time opening on the 24 hour local rota system.
There are several other small shops and services in Marausa such as the DIY Store and Garden Centre opposte the primary school and Esso Station; two Electrical and Domestic outlets, a Tobacconist, Gent's Barber, Doctor's Surgery, Solicitor, Architect & Interior Design Agency, two Motor Mechanics and a Building Merchant's Yard.
The internet cafe and a lamp shop have just closed down to be replaced with new outlets as yet unknown. (update: May 2010)
There are two great Pizza Take-Aways on the main road, along with several bars - the most popular of which is Bar Tiffany - a friendly place on the main road.
- Pizza Chef, Via E.Rinaldi, 187, - Marausa 91020 (TP) (On the main road between the Esso Petrol Station and Bar Tiffany), ☎ +390923842529. Pizza TakeAway & Delivery. Prices from €4 - €20. Open every evening except Mondays
- La Plaza, Via Marausa, 187, - Palma 91020 (TP) (On the other side of the river valley viaduct opposite Palma Square, next to the ERF petrol station), ☎ +390923842851. Pizza & Roast Chicken TakeAway. Prices from €4.50 - €18.50 Open Every evening except Tuesdays.
- Pizzeria Da Ale, Via Marausa, 125, - Palma 91020 (TP) (On the other side of the river valley viaduct near the shops on the road towards Trapani), ☎ +390923843986. Pizza TakeAway. Prices from €4.50 - €18. Open Every day from 16.30.
In the seaside Lido di Marausa Resort 2km away, you will find two restaurants open all year round (La Perla and Marausa BeachBarRestaurant) with accompanying bars. Two temporary bars set up by the sea in June-September: The Tre Torri Lido Bar with a games salon and occasional discotheque can usually be found amongst the dunes and sands of the beaches in the summer months, while Lido Azzurro sets up near the abandoned Tre Torre Restaurant building near the derelict windmill and bills itself as a calmer idyll.
- Marausa Beach Bar & Restaurant, Via Scilla 2, Marausa Lido 91100 (TP) (Next to the small Marina), ☎ +390923842478, . A funky rennovated beach bar with restaurant that sits out over the Mediterranean Sea alongside the small Marina. The owner Tony is passionate about his food and serves ONLY Fresh seafood all year round. If he can't get it at the markets in Trapani that morning, it won't be on the menu that night! Unlike the other local restaurant he doesn't freeze his food, so you are getting the food as it should taste - delicious! However, he does advocate the use of the freezer for his uniqueice creams made on the premises with real fruit and water. Tasting is believing. Tourist menu available. They speak English, French, German and Spanish. The outfit operates as a bar late at night also.
- Ristorante La Perla, Viale Mothia, 1 - 91020 Lido Marausa (TP) (Right next to the Torre Di Mezzo Lighthouse), ☎ +390923841577, . 250 seater restaurant right on the coast but views are difficl as the restaurant is closed in. However, prices are good and service is fast. Dishes are tasty but not outstanding. Bar alongside. Tourist menu available.
- Trattoria Del Sale, Via Chiusa Nubia - 91027 (Across the valley, through Palma and left at the traffic lights before you go over the little fly-over. First right onto Via Liberta. Followsigns to 'Museo Del Sale'), ☎ +390923867142, . Part of the Local Salt Museum is a small but well catered restaurant serving local produce at affordable prices. Check their site for details.
As above, there are three bars in the seaside Lido and five others along the main road
- Lido Azzurro Marausa, Lungomare, Marausa Lido TP 91020 (By the sea at the end of the tarmac, where the road weaves it's way through the sand dunes), . A small family friendly Lido bar alongside the sea, with a small section of private beach. Turns into a nightclub in the evenings. Dismanted in the winter.
- Bar Tiffany (Bar Tiffany), Via E.Rinaldi, 220, Marausa 91020 TP (Near the southern end of the main road running through Marausa), ☎ +390923841008, . A friendly bar, gelateria and meeting point. Open until late. The staff speak English, French, German, Spanish, Polish and even Italian!
- Bar Miryam (Bar Miryam), Via E.Rinaldi, 170, Marausa - 91020TP, ☎ +390923842911. Another of the 5 bars in Marausa, this one resembles a run down bar in the American Mid West in the forecourt of a petrol station. But the staff are friendly and it's quiet and frequented by the locals
- Bar Sport (Bar Sport), Via E.Rinaldi, Marausa - 91020TP. Another of the 5 bars in Marausa
- Villa Anna (sleeps 2-10 people), Lido di Marausa, Marausa (250m from the Mediterranean Sea), ☎ +447980575998, . The villa is fully furnished and has a private garden. Our website contains a host of information about the villa, the local beaches, activities, culture, history and the geography of the province of Trapani and beyond From €9pppn.
- Villa Maria (sleeps 1-5 people), Lido di Marausa (26m from the Mediterranean Sea), ☎ +447980575998, . The villa is fully furnished and is set on a private road just seconds from the beach and mediterranean sea. Much more information about the villa, the local beaches, activities, culture, history and the geography of the province of Trapani and beyond on our website. From €8pppn.