To Sighetu Marmatiei there are two direct trains from Cluj, one from Bucharest and one from Timisoara. Check timetables on infofer.ro.
Maramures is one the best kept Europe's secrets, the place where the time hasn't moved for decades, a place where the traditions, the wooden art and the human kindness are well preserved. Close to the Ukrainian border, Maramures covers 3381 sq km of valleys, beautiful villages, hills and mountains (up to 2303 m high). On this small surface are preserved over 100 wooden churches (8 of them listed on UNESCO list), a natural reserve also protected by UNESCO, about 60 villages and small towns, the only narrow gauge industrial steam train still in use in Europe, and many other attractions.
1. Sighetu Marmaţiei town with its museums and churches.
3. The wooden churches (protected by UNESCO) in Bârsana, Budeşti, Deseşti, Ieud, Plopiş/Siseşti Commune, Poienile Izei, Rogoz/Târgu Lăpuş and Şurdeşti/Siseşti Commune, erected between XVI-XVIII centuries, in "Maramures gothic style" and painted hundreds of years ago.
4. The Merry Cemetery in Sapanta, unique in the world, famous for its colourful tombstones with native paintings describing, in an original and poetic manner, the persons that are buried there as well as scenes from their lives, today an worldwide known tourist attraction.
5. The tallest wooden church in the world (78 m high, erected at Sapanta, between 1995-2003).
6. Pietrosu Rodnei Natural Reserve, UNESCO listed since 1979, established in 1932, part of the "Rodna Mountains National Park", protecting edelweiss, gentians, marmots, chamois, etc.
7. Maramures Mountains Natural Park, the largest and wildest in Romania, covering 1480 sq km, protecting 1260 plant species, bears, wolves, lynxes, etc.
8. Breb, village adopted by the HMS Prince of Wales (he bought there three old wooden houses).
9. Sarbi Village, group of water powered machines (fuiling and watermills, thresher, alcohol distilleries, whirlpools).
10. Budesti Village, the best preserved traditional Maramures settlement.
11. Horses Waterfall (Cascada Cailor), located at Baie Borsa. You can go up by the ski lifts (operating in the summer as well), and visit it with a short walk (approx 15-20 min).
Horinca - strong (>50% alcohol) double distilled fruit brandy.