Manipur is a state in North-Eastern India.
Requires Inner-line permit
Keibul Lamjao National Park,
Siroy Lily Flowers in Ukhrul.
- loukoipat, bishnupur (moirang).
- Eromba- Vegetables and potatoes boiled with a lot of red chillies or Umorok with ngari(fermented fish), dry fish and mashed together.
- Umorok – literally ‘tree chilli’ u=tree; morok = chilli. It is garnished with maroi( maroi namakpi, maroi nakuppi, awa phadigom, mayang-ton, toning-khok tilhou,coriander leaves and many more).
- Singju is a salad prepared with finely chopped cabbage, onions, lotus stems, tree beans, coriander leaves,sinju pan,ginger,heibi mana and lots of seasonal vegetables mixed with ngari. Boiled kidney beans are optional and the dish is seasoned with red chilli flakes, salted to taste, with red roasted sesame powder and roasted chick peas powder.
- Chamthong or Kangshoi is a stew preparation of any seasonal vegetables with coarsely chopped onions,maroi, ginger and salt, topped with ngari, fried fish pieces (optional)and water. It's soupy in nature and is eaten with rice.
- Morok metpa is a coarse-paste prepared with green or dry red chilies. The chillies should be boiled with ngari in a pan and then it should be mashed with salt; fried fish pieces can also be added to it. chopped onions and coriander leaves should be added to it and mixed. Other dishes are- kang-hou (various vegetables fried dry in oil with traditional spices), paknam (fish cake), nga-thongba (fish curry), ooti, pakora thongba, chagem pomba, keli chana, alu kangmet (boiled potato mashed with fried red chilli and salt and dressed with mustard oil), sana thongba which is prepared with paneer in Manipuri style, a-nganba (steam vegetables, such as pumpkin, sweet pea, carrots, French beans etc.).
Ok thongba: Local pork curry with bamboo shots or mustard leaves with U-morok.
Sekmai Chamelei : Go to sekmai, 20 kms from imphal to enjoy the traditional manipur rice beer and spirits.
Many planes people (the meiteis) resent the Indian government. The hill tribes (nagas, kukis, zomi/chin) resent the indian government, the meiteis and each other. The zomi/chin would like to be united in an independent state with their co-tribespeople in Burma. There are multiple competing tribal militias, who extort money from their countrymen, block roads, and occasionally erupt into warfare/killing.
Imphal is gennerally safe (see the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website), but other areas should only be visited with good local information, and the word 'disturbed' means no-go.