| || |
; Light switch. : Light switch. (''Light Switch'')
; Light switch. : Light switch. (''LightSwitch'')
| || |
. : Pallil. ('' '') |+|
; Church : .
| || |
Temple:''' Ambalam |+|
| || |
Revision as of 05:37, 18 April 2013
Malayalam belongs to the Dravidian language family, and is mostly spoken in Southern India in the states of Kerala and Lakshadweep. Around 36 million people uses this language, which is one of the 22 official languages of India.
I have received
The basic difference in structure of sentences is that in English the pattern is Subject-Verb-Object, but it, in Malayalam, is Subject-Object-Verb
- (നമസ്കാരം) namaskaram. (very formal, so the below informal form is common)
- Hello. (informal)
- Aay or "a'ye", You can use English "Hello" or "Hi".
- How are you?
- (സുഖമാണോ?) sukhamaano? (Literal meaning: Are you fine/comfortable?)
or, Enthokkeyundu / Enth okke undu? (Literaly, What all are there?)
- I am not fine
- Enikku sukham illa
- Yes, thank you.
- (ശരി / അതെ, നന്ദി) Ssherri/Athe, Nanni.
- I am fine.
- (എനിക്ക് സുഖമാണ് )Enikku sukhamaanu.
- What is your name?
- (നിങ്ങളുടെ പേരെന്താണ്?) Ningalude peru enthaanu? / Peru entha? / Pay-ray-ntha? / Thangalude peru enthaanu? (with respect)
- My name is ______ .
- Ente peru ______ .
- Nice to meet you.
- Kandathil santhosham.
Parichayappettathil valare santhosham. (Literal meaning: Extremely delighted for you acquaintance)
- Dayavu cheythu / Dayavayi, or use English word "Please"
- Thank you.
- Nanni (pronounced: nan-ní), or use English word "Thank you" or "Thanks"
- Thank you very much
- orupadu nanni or Valare upakaram, or you can say in English, or repeat "Thank you" two times.
- You're welcome(greeting).
- (formal) Swaagatham; (informal) varu varu / varanam varanam.
- Athey/ Ssherri (Literal Meaning: Correct)
- Excuse me. (getting attention)
- sradhikyu / kshamikkanam onningottu nokkoo / or in English "Excuse me".
- Excuse me. (begging pardon)
- Kshamikkoo or in English "Sorry" / "I am sorry".
- I'm sorry.
- Ennodu Kshamichaalum. (say this if it was your fault)
- I'm sorry.
- Kashttamayi Pooyi / Kashttamundu (when you listen to bad news)
- Don't mind
- Saaramilla, (say this if you are comforting sombody)
- Pinneedu kaananam (Vida) / Pinne kaanam / Veendum kaanaam (Literal meaning: I will see you again later),
or say in English "Goodbye" / "Bye" / "Bye Bye"/ "Tata" / "Tata Bye Bye".
- Goodbye (informal)
- see above."
- I can't speak Malayalam.
- Enikku 'Malayalam' samsaarikkan ariyilla / Malayalam ariyilla.
- Do you speak English?
- Ningal English Samsaarikkumo ? / English ariyumo?
- Is there someone here who speaks English?
- Ivide English samsaarikkan ariyunnavar aarenkilum undo ? / English ariyunnavar aarenkilum undo?
- Help (Save)
- Look out!
- Nokkoo! / Sradhikku !
- Good morning.
- Suprabhaatham (way formal), say in English "Good morning".
- Good evening.
- Shubha Saayaahnam (not used), say in English "Good evening".
- Good night (to sleep)
- Subha Raathiri (not used), say in English "Good night" / "Good night, sweet dreams".
- I did not understand.
- Kshamikkanam Enikku manassilaayilla / manassilaayilla
- I like sweets
- Eniku mittaay ishtamaanu
(I like sweet stuff) Eniku madhuram ishtamaanu
- Poocha(POO in poor)
- Spicy (hot)
- Erivu('E' is pronounced as the first English alphabet'A')
- Spicy food
- Erivulla bhakshanam
- Where are you going?
- Ningal evideya pokunnathu?
- Where is the toilet?
- Kakkoos Evideyaanu? (Kakkoos means toilet)
- Where is the Bathroom?
- Kulimuri Evideyaanu? (Kuli = bath, muri = room)
- Get lost
- Dayavu cheythu Maari Pooku (polite / as a request), Maari Pooku (less polite / an an order), Podaa (very impolite)
- Wake up
- Eneekku (slang)(the first 'e' pronounced as 'A' in English) / Ezhunelku (informal)/ Dayavu cheythu Ezhunelku (as a request)
- Do you like me?
- Enne ishtamaano?
- I love you
- enniku ninne ishtam annu / enniku ninne ishtamaayi (I like you); I love you (as a lover): Njan ninne premikkunnu ( Njan means 'I'); I hate you : Enikku ninne ishtam alla. OR Njan ninne verukkunnu. OR enniku ninne verripu annu
- Can you show me the way?
- Enikku vazhi kaanichu tharaamo? ( vazhi means 'way')
- How old are you?
- Ningalkethra vayassayi?
- I am hungry
- Enikku vishakunnu
- Where can I get some water?
- Enikku alpam vellam evide kittum? (alpam corresponds to some, little etc) OR kurachu vellam tharumo? (literal: Can you give me a little water?)
- Can we go for a movie?
- Namukku oru cinemekku pokaamo?
- Girl is looking good
- Penkutty Kaanaan Kollaam / Pennu Adi poli (informal)
- What is the matter?
- Entha karyam?
- I forgot
- Njan Marannu
- I don't know
- Enikku ariyilla (r as in Rough)
- Mumbu /Munpu
- Please Wait
- Onnu Nilku
- One question
- Oru chodhyam
Monday: Thingal-aazhcha (can be pronounced as Thingle Aazhcha)
Thursday: Vyaazha-aazhcha / alternate spelling Vyaara-azhcha (r as in rha)
letters "zh" sounds like "r" in "purse", or like a mixture of "r", "ya", "la"
- Leave me alone.
- Enne veruthe vidoo.
- Don't touch me!
- Enne thodaruthu.
- I'll call the police.
- Njaan policine vilikkum.
- Police! (Police)
- Stop! Thief!
- Nilku! Kallan!
- I need your help.
- Enikku ningalude sahaayam venam.
- It's an emergency.
- Ithu athhyaavashyamaanu
- I'm lost.
- Enikku vazhithetti.
- I lost my bag.
- Ente sanchi nashtappettu.
- I lost my wallet.
- Ente purse nashtappettu.
- I'm sick.
- Enikku sukhamilla.
- I've been injured.
- Enikku murivu patti.
- I need a doctor.
- Enikku doctorude sahaayam venam.
- Can I use your phone?
- Njaan ningalude phone upayogichotte.
- Can you give me your phone number?
- Enikku ningalude phone number tharamo?
- I'll kill you
- Njan ninne kollum
- Why are you fighting with me?
- Ningal enthina ennodu vazhakkidunnathu?
- Don't you understand what I am saying?
- Ningalkku njan paranjathu manasilakunnille?
- Tie him up
- Avane kettiyidu. (Avane means 'Him')
- one (onnu)
- two (randu)
- three (moonnu MOO in moon)
- four (naalu)
- five (anchu)
- six (aaru)
- seven (eezhu)
- eight (ettu E of eight)
- nine (onpathu)
- ten (pathu)
- eleven (pathinonnuh' )
- twelve (panthranduh')
- thirteen (pathimoonnuh)
- fourteen (pathinaaluh)
- fifteen (pathinanchuh)
- sixteen (pathinaaruh)
- seventeen (pathinezhuh)
- eighteen (pathinettuh)
- nineteen (pathombathuh)
- twenty (irupathuh)
- twenty one (irupathonnuh)
- twenty two (irupathiranduh)
- twenty three (irupathimoonuh)
- thirty (muppathuh)
- forty (nalpathuh)
- : fifty (anpathuh)
- sixty (arupathuh)
- seventy (ezhupathuh)
- eighty (enpathuh)
- ninety (thonnooru)
- one hundred (nooru)
- two hundred (Irunnooru)
- three hundred (Munnooru)
- one thousand (aayiram)
- two thousand (randayiram)
- one million (pathu-laksham)
- one thousand million in UK, one billion in USA (nooru kodi)
- one trillion in USA, formerly one billion in UK (laksham kodi)
- number _____ (train, bus, etc.)
- number _____ (...am Number)eg:-#10 ( Pathh-am Number)
- half (arai or paadhi or pakuthi)
- less (kurachu or kuranja)
- more (kooduthal or koodiya)
- ഇപ്പോള് Ippol
- പിന്നെ Pinne
- മു൯പെ Munpey.
- പ്രഭാതം, രാവിലെ Prabhatham, Raavile.
- (...) Uchha.
- സന്ധ്യ Vyikunneram.
- രാത്രി, രാവ് Raathri.
- one o'clock
- oru mani
- two o'clock
- randu mani
Use Ravile for AM, Rathri for PM and Ucha for noon
- paathi rathri
- _____ minute(s)
- ______ nimisham
- _____ hour(s)
- _____ mani (manikoor)
- _____ day(s)
- _____ naal, divasam
- _____ week(s)
- _____ vaaram, azhcha
- _____ month(s)
- _____ maasam
- _____ year(s)
- _____ varsham, Kollam
- ഇന്ന് (innu)
- ഇന്നലെ (innale)
- this week
- last week
- next week
- adutha azhcha
- ഞായറാഴ്ച (njhayarazcha)
- തിങ്കളാഴ്ച (thingalazhcha)
- ചൊവ്വാഴ്ച (chovvazhcha)
- ബുധനാഴ്ച (budhanazhcha)
- വ്യാഴാഴ്ച (vyazhazhcha)
- വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച (velliyazhcha)
- ശനിയാഴ്ച (shaniyazhcha)
- chara niram
- kapi poddi niram
Bold text====Bus and train====
- How much is a ticket to Bhopal?
- Ethra rupayanu Bhopal-lekku ulla ticket-inu?
- One ticket to Bhopal, please.
- Bhopal-lekku oru ticket venam/tharu
- Where does this train/bus go?
- Engottanu ee bus/train pokunnathu?
- Where is the train/bus to Kottayam ?
- Evide anne Kottayathekkula bus?
- Does this train/bus stop in Kottayam?
- Ee bus/train kottayathu nirutthumo?
- When does the train/bus for Kottayam leave?
- Eppolaanu Kottayathekkulla ee bus/train povuka?
- When will this train/bus arrive in Kottayam ?
- Eppolaanu ee bus/train Kottayathu etthuka?
which is the train now??
(ethu train anu ippool)
- How do I get to _____ ?
- Engene enikku _________ etham?
- ...the train station?
- Engene enikku rail* way stationanil etham?
- ...the bus station?
- Engene enikku bus-standil ettham?
- ...the airport?
- Engene enikku vimanathaavalathil etham?
- Engene enikku nagarathil ettham?
- ...the youth hostel?
- Engene enikku youth hostelil etham?
- ...the _____ hotel?
- Engene enikku _______ hotelil etham?
- ...the American/Canadian/Australian/British consulate?
- Engene enikku American/Canadian/Australian/British nayathantra karyalathil entham?
- Where are there a lot of...
- Evideyaanu dhaaralam .............
- Evideyaanu dhaaralam hotelukal ullathu?
- Evideyaanu dhaaralam bhakshna-shalakal ullathu?
- Evideyanu dhaaralam BARukal ullathu?
- ...sites to see?
- Evideyaanu dhaaralam sthalangal kaanuvan ullathu?
- Can you show me on the map?
- Enikku map-il onnu kaanichu tharaamo?
- Veedhi, mudukku
- National/State highway
- Deshiya/Samasthana Padha
- Turn left.
- Idatthekku/Idathottu thiriyuka
- Turn right.
- Valatthekku/Valathottu thiriyuka
- straight ahead
- Nere povuka
- towards the bridge
- Palathinu aduthekku
- past the _____
- Aa _____ kazhinhu
- before the _____
- Aa ______ munpu
- Watch for the _____.
- Aa _________ nokkuka / sradhikkanam
- Koodicherunna sthalatham
- Take me to _____, please.
- Enne _____ vare kondu pokoo. / ______ vare pokaam.
- How much does it cost to get to _____?
- _________ vare pokaan ethra roopa(money) aavum ?
- Take me there, please.
- Dayavaayi enne ______ vare kondu pokoo
- Do you have any rooms available?
- Ivide muri ozhivindo?
- How much is a room for one person/two people?
- Onno/rendo perkkulla muri vaadeka ethra aanu?
- Does the room come with...
- Ee muriyil ... kittumo?
- ...a bathroom?
- kuli muri
- ...a telephone?
- ...a TV?
- May I see the room first?
- Njan aadyam muri kandote?
- Do you have anything quieter?
- Kuruchum koode shanthamaya muri undo?
- vila koranjathu/vila kuranja
- OK, I'll take it.
- Sheri, Njan Edukam
- That's enough.
- Ithu madthi
- I will stay for _____ night(s).
- Njan_____raatri thamassikkam
- Can you suggest another hotel?
- Vere oru hotel parayamo?
- Do you have a safe/almarah?
- Ningalkku safe/alamara undo?
- Is breakfast/supper included?
- Prabhatha bhakshanam(prathal)/rathri bhakshanam(athazham) ulpedumo?
- What time is breakfast/supper?
- Prabhatha bhakshanam(prathal)/rathri bhakshanam(athazham) eppozhanu?
- Please clean my room.
- Ente muri onu vrithiyakkanam
- Can you wake me at _____?
- Enne _______ manikku ezhunnelpikkamo?
- I want to check out.
- Enikku check-out cheyyanam
- Do you accept American/Australian/Canadian dollars?
- Ningal american dollars edukumo?)
- do u accept the British Pound?
- Ningal british pound swekarikumo)
- Do you accept credit cards?
- Credit card swekarikumo)
- Can you change money for me?
- Eniku panam matti tharumo?
- Where can I get money changed?
- Evide ninnu eniku panam matti kittum?
- Can you change a traveler's check for me?
- Enikku oru traveller's check matti tharamo?
- Where can I get a traveler's check changed?
- Evideyanu enikku traveller's check matti kittuka?)
- What is the exchange rate?
- Ennathe vinimaya nerrekku enthannu?
- Where is an automatic teller machine (ATM)?
- ATM evideyanu?
Any money exchange around?
- A table for one person/two people, please.
- Enniku/Njangalkku oru meesha vennam
- Can I look at the menu, please?
- Enikku menu kanamo? / Menu onnu kanikkamo?
- Can I look in the kitchen?
- Enikku adukala kanamo? OR Adukkala Onnu kandotte..?
- Is there a house specialty?
- Innathe special entha?
- Is there a local specialty?
- Nadan Bhakshanam vallathum undo?
- I'm a vegetarian.
- Njan Sasyabhojiyaa/sasyabhukku aanu.
- I don't eat pork.
- Njan panni kazhikilla
- I don't eat beef.
- Njan pothirachi thinnilla/kazhikkilla
- I only eat kosher food.
- Njan juda bhakshanam matramme kazhikkullu
- Can you make it "lite", please? (less oil/butter/lard)
- Enna/Neyyu/Kozhuppu kurachu bhakshanam undakamo/paaka peduthamo?
- fixed-price meal
- Meals/oonu undo?
- à la carte
- Menu undo?
- Prathal / Prabhatha Bhakshanam
- Leghu Bhakshanam or cheru-kadi
- I want a_____.
- Enikk oru......venam
- I want a dish containing _____.
- Enikku____________kondu undakkiya enthengilum mathi
- hot dogs / Eerachi
- Palkkatty / Panneer
- (fresh) vegetables
- (fresh) fruits
- Pazha vargangal/ pazhangal
- roti, appam, bread
- May I have a glass of _____?
- Oru glass ___________ tharamo?
- May I have a cup of _____?
- Oru kappu______________tharamo?
- May I have a bottle of _____?
- Oru kuppi ________ tharamo?
- pazhachar/ juice /neer
- (bubbly) water
- cool drinks
- Sheethala paaneeyam
- red/white wine
- Chuvanna/Velutha Veenjhu
- May I have some _____?
- Kurachu______ tharamo?
- black pepper
- Excuse me, waiter? (getting attention of server)
- Athhe Chaeta (chaetan means brother(elder)..for a female, it is chechi(sister))
- I'm finished.
- Njan Mathiyakkuvaa/enikku mathi
- It was delicious.
- ruchikaram /Gambeeram
- Please clear the plates.
- Paathrangal Edutholoo
- The cheque, please.
- Cheque thannalum
- Do you serve alcohol?
- Ningal madhyam vilambumo?
- Is there table service?
- Table service undo?
- A beer/two beers, please.
- Randu beer tharoo
- A glass of red/white wine, please
- Oru glass chuvanna/Velutha veenjhu tharaamo
- A pint, please.
- Oru paynnt tharamo
- A bottle, please.
- Oru Kuppy tharamo
- Do you have any bar snacks?
- Thottu-koottan enthengilum undo
- One more, please.
- Onnum koodi please
- Another round, please.
- Orennam koodi
- When is closing time?
- Eppozha adakkunnathu
- Do you have this in my size?
- Do you have this in my size? (ithu ente alavil/pakathil/size-il undo?)
- How much is this?
- How much is this? (ithinu entha vila?)
- That's too expensive.
- That's too expensive. (athu orupadu kooduthalaanu)
- Would you take _____?
- Would you take _____? (ningal edukkumo?)
- expensive (vila kooduthal aanu)
- cheap (vila kuranjathu)
- I can't afford it.
- I can't afford it. (ennikku ithu(read as e-thu) thangilla)
- I don't want it.
- I don't want it. (enikku athu venda)
- You're cheating me.
- You're cheating me. (ningal enne chadikukkayanu)
- I'm not interested.
- I'm not interested. (enikyu thalpariyam illa)
- OK, I'll take it.
- OK, I'll take it. (sari. njan itheduthollam)
- Can I have a bag?
- Can I have a bag? (Oru sanchi/cover kittumo)
- Do you ship (overseas)?
- Do you ship (overseas)? (Ningal videsathekku ayachu tharumo)
- I need...
- I need... (Enikku oru.......venam)
- ...toothpaste. (paste)
- ...a toothbrush.
- ...a toothbrush. (brush)
- ...tampons. (pad/tampon e.g. whisper or stayfree etc)
- ...soap. (soap)
- ...shampoo. (shampoo)
- ...pain reliever. (e.g., aspirin or ibuprofen)
- ...pain reliever. (pain killer,veedana samhari)
- ...cold medicine.
- ...cold medicine. (jala doshathinulla marunnu)
- ...stomach medicine.
- ...stomach medicine. (vayaru veedanakkulla marunnu)
- ...a razor.
- ...a razor. (blade/shaving razor)
- ...an umbrella.
- ...an umbrella. (kuda)
- ...sunblock lotion.
- ...sunblock lotion. (sunscreen lotion)
- ...a postcard.
- ...a postcard. (post card)
- ...postage stamps.
- ...postage stamps. (stamp)
- ...batteries. (battery)
- ...writing paper.
- ...writing paper. (paper/ezhuthanulla kadalasu)
- ...a pen.
- ...a pen. (paena)
- ...English-language books.
- ...English-language books. (english pusthakangal)
- ...English-language magazines.
- ...English-language magazines. (english varikakal/mazikakal)
- ...an English-language newspaper.
- ...an English-language newspaper. (english pathram)
- ...an English-English dictionary.
- ...an English-English dictionary. (english nighandu)
- I want to rent a car.
- I want to rent a car. (Eniku oru CAR vadakakku edukkanam)
- Can I get insurance?
- Can I get insurance? (Enikku oru insurance policy edukkanam)
- stop (on a street sign)
- stop (Nirthoo)
- one way
- one way (...)
- yield (...)
- no parking
- no parking (evide niruthan paadilla)
- speed limit
- speed limit (vega paridhi)
- gas (petrol) station
- gas station (petrol bunk)
- petrol (petrol)
- diesel (diesel)
- I haven't done anything wrong.
- I haven't done anything wrong. (Njan thettonnum cheythittilla)
- It was a misunderstanding.
- It was a misunderstanding. (Athoru thetti-dharana ayirunnu)
- Where are you taking me?
- Where are you taking me? (Ningal enne engottanu kondu-pokunnathu)
- Am I under arrest?
- Am I under arrest? (Njan arrestil ano)
- I am an American/Australian/British/Canadian citizen.
- I am an American/Australian/British/Canadian citizen. (Njan oru.....Powran aanu)
- I want to talk to the American/Australian/British/Canadian embassy/consulate.
- I need to talk to the American/Australian/British/Canadian embassy/consulate. (Enikku .....Embassyyil bandhappedanam)
- I want to talk to a lawyer.
- I want to talk to a lawyer. (Enikku Oru vakkeeline kananam)
- Can I just pay a fine now?
- Can I just pay a fine now? (Oru pizha/Fine adachal mathiyo ?)
- Light switch.
- Light switch. (Light-inte Switch)
(e.g. I'm going to church for attending the holy mass---('njan kurbana kudan pallil pokunnu') )
- palli/ muslim palli