Malabar is a region in Kerala in India.
- Banasura Dam- Largest earth dam in India, situated 15 km north-west of Kalpetta. Closest big towns is Vythiri.
- Chembra Peak - It is the highest peak in Wayanad and is 2100 m peak above sea level. It is 14 Km west of Kalpetta.
At 2100 meters, the spectacular Chembra peak located towards the southern part of Wayanad is the tallest summit in the region. Climbing this peak is a tiring, but not too difficult, 4 km walk. But it is totally worth it; the view at the top is mind-blowing, and you get to see a heart-shaped lake on the way! Camping on the peak is an unforgettable experience.
It takes about 5-6 hours to go up and down. The entry costs Rs. 500 for a group of upto 10 people, and you get an excellent guide to accompany you to the top and back.
- Chain Tree - Chain tree has a mysterious story behind it. The road up was built by a foreign Engineer, but the route was given to him by a Local Tribal youth and he was shot to death by the engineer. After the Road was built many accidents happend in the hair pin curve. Later the reason behind the accidents were discovered due to the spirit of the tribal youth. Its believed that his spirit is being chained to the Chain tree. Most of the driver pray and do offerings as they passby the tree to make their trip accident free.
Another story goes like this, that when the British first came to Wayanad the locals helped them and it was the Adivasi Mahouts who took them to the top the mountains. As the Portuguese were close behind them, they did not want the Mahouts to go back and get the Portuguese. Hence they killed the mahout and soon after that, there were many accident in the area and the mahouts spirit was believe to be the reason. A local priest contained the spirit to a tree and hung a chain over it so that the spirit wouldn't escape. Hence the name Chain Tree.aor.
- Edakkal Caves - This location of breathtaking beauty is 25 kilometres from Kalpetta. The Edakkal cave in the Ambukuthy mountain, is not a cave in the real sense. As stated in the India Antiquary, it is only 'a cleft about 96 ft long and 22 ft wide in the rock'. It is a fissure made by a corner of rock splitting off from the main Entrance to Edkal Cavesbody due to some natural causes. The depth of both the cleft and the fissure is 30 ft. What makes it a cave to the ordinary observer is the fact that in the other portion of the large cleft, an enormous rock, weighing several tonnes, has fallen forming a roof over a large part of it. The rock wall contains some interesting carvings, which represent human and animal figures and objects of human use and symbols. These carvings speak of a highly civilized people of pre-historic age and inspires the archaeologists and historians to rewrite the history of Wayanad and Kerala as a whole. The caves accessible only by a 1 Km trekking trail from Edakkal. Closest big town is Ambalavayal.
- Jain Temple at Panamaram - It is 5 km north-east of Panamaram.
- Karapuzha Dam Located at a distance of 16 km from Kalpetta, this is a relatively small dam, but located at a very scenic site. Mostly unknown, and thus unspoilt by a horde of tourists, it is a perfect way to spend a quiet evening during sunset time.
- Kuruva Dweep - The Kuruva island, 950 acres of ever green forest on the tributaries of east flowing river Kabini, is an ideal picnic spot, far away from the disturbances of city life. The island is uninhabited. Rare species of birds, orchids and herbs are the sovereigns of this supernal kingdom. It is 17 km east of Mananthavady and 40 km north west of Sultan Bathery. As a precaution don't stay on this island after dusk.
- Kanthapara Waterfalls- A 30m high water-fall situated 12 km south-east of Kalpetta.
- Lakkidi - hill station situated 700 m above sea level, at Thamarasseri Ghat pass. It is on the border of Wayanad district, and the view of the valley is superb. It can get a bit busy (and littered!) during peak season, though. Telephones Microwave station, Hotel Management College and couple of resorts are situate here.
- Meenmurthy waterfalls- It is 12 km from Meppadi. It involves a good trek through some difficult terrain, but the end result is breath-taking. Not only is the view of the waterfall amazing, you can get and get wet too. One has to trek inside the jungle for approx 1.5 km to get a view of waterfalls. It passes through coffee and tea plantation.
It has an entry fee of Rs. 300 for a group of upto 10 people, and you get a very skilled guide to help you to hike to the waterfalls and back up.
- Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary - Spread over a vast area, Muthanga is a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere region. It is a rain forest reserve connected to two major sanctuaries - Bandipur National Park in Karnataka and Mudumalai Sanctuary in Tamilnadu. Muthanga has a large population of pachyderms, and has been declared a Project Elephant Site. The reserve is also home to a small population of tigers. In addition there is also a profusion of birds, butterflies and insects.
- Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuaries - This sanctuary extends to Karnataka State.
- Padinjarathara - Famous for Bansura mini hydro project with the largest earth dam in India, and with a sanctuary and park with ever flowering trees.
- Pakshipathalam - It is a bird sanctuary accessible only be trekking. It is 7 km north-east of Thirunelly temple. To visit this place, special permission needs to be obtained from the forest department.
- Papanasini - See Thirunelly Temple in the list below
- Pazhassi Raja Tomb - Memorial of the Lion of Kerala Veera Pazhassi Raja, who organized a guerrilla warfare against the British East India Company.
- Pookote Lake - It is a natural fresh water lake, brimmed with ever green mountains. The weather here is salacious; the scenic beauty, hypnotising and the nature, unspoiled. Pookode lake tourist resort in Vythiri is the most sought after tourist spot of Wayanad. There is an aquarium and a green house here. Boating facilities also are available. Spices and handicraft items are also arranged for sale at Pookode. The lake has an area of 8.5 ha and the maximum water depth is 6.5 m. This lake is three km south of Vythiri
- Soochipara Waterfalls - It is famous waterfalls in Wayanad district. One can go on and take bath under the falls. This seems bit crowdy. The force of water is quite good. Closest big town in Meppadi
- Sultan Bathery Jain Temple - Also known as Tippu's Fort.
- Thirunelly Temple - Thirunelly is situated 29 km north east of Mananthavady under the Brahmarigi hills in the reserve forests. The temple at Thirunelly is often called 'Thekkan Kasi' It is believed that a bath in the holy water of 'Papanasini' will wipe off all the sins. Apart from the temple, Thirunelly is a place of scenic beauty. Its Famous for its architecture, the shrine is shielded with 30 granite on the bank of Papanasini river. Pakshipathalam, an interesting trekking centre, is 7 km away from the temple.
- Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctury - Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary (20 km east of Mananthavady): This sanctuary has a wide variety of animals. Visiting time: 0600 - 0800 hrs and 1500 -1730 hrs. Permitting authority Asst. Wildlife Warden, Tholpetty Tel: 04935-250853
- Sun Rise Valley - As the name suggests, Sunrise Valley is a great place to watch the rising and setting sun amidst dramatic mountain scenery. The place also offers a panoramic view of the valley beneath with the river Chaliyar meandering gracefully. this place is near to vaduvanchal.
The best tree top houses of Southern India are nestled in Wayanad. There is a variety of resorts offering different experiences during your stay. There are also a few hotels and guest houses in Sulthan Bathery and Kalpetta. Advance booking recommended for weekends or public holidays.
- Annapara Home Stay, Vythiri, ☎ +91 94430 23320, . INR4500 Per double bedroom and INR1200 extra for addl bed. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- GreenLeaves Habitat, GreenLeaves Habitat , Opp st Marys College Sulthanbathery Wayanad, ☎ 0944647635, . A lovely homestay with all felicities and committed to the principles of responsible tourism INR 2500.
- Tropical ForRest Homestays, Opp Oriental School of Management, ☎ 989450 23380, . checkin: 12 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Welcome to Tropical ForRest Homestays Wayanad’s finest Home stay at the heart of Lakkidi.Situated at 2700 ft above sea level and spread across 22 acres, Tropical ForRest is a haven for nature lovers. The calm and peaceful surroundings provide the perfect ambience to unwind.The lush greens, the silent valley, the song birds-Tropical ForRest is a place where time stands still.Nestled in tranquility with a magnificent view of the valley, the resort is a picture from a fairy tale. Leave the rest of the world behind and lose yourself in the bounty of nature. At tropical ForRest, you are a step closer to Nirvana. 1500. (11.5138 ° N,76.0202 ° E)
Homestays from Mahindra Homestays:
- Mountain Dew Homestay, . Stay in a secluded Wayanad house among 35 acres of rubber, pepper and coffee plantations. Delightfully eclectic, cosy home with spiral staircase and swing bed
- Hillview Homestay, . Hillview has views of the Western Ghats, plantations of pepper, vanilla, coffee and fruits, plus exotic local curries served on banana leaf
- Glenora Homestay, . Stay in a new, luxury Wayanad “cottage” built on platforms high above the ground. 20 types of fruit tree, many bird species, waterfall treks and Sunrise Valley
- Vismiagiri, . Stay in a plantation home in the gorgeous valley of Korome, Wayanad. Serene, with an earthy feel. Lounge on veranda with a coffee made from homegrown beans
- Coffee Vista, . Stay in a plantation bungalow in a beautiful part of Wayanad, amid 140 acres of coffee bush. Fully furnished rooms with attached modern baths. Homemade cookies.
- Green Gates Hotel (luxury 3 star hotel), T. B. Road, Kalpettea (280 kms. from Bangalore; 140 kms. from Mysore & 72 kms. from Calicut), ☎ +914936202001/2/3/4, . checkin: 1.00 p. m.; checkout: 11.00 a. m.. Wayanad is a hill station in North Kerala, a jewel in God’s own country – Kerala. Nature reigns here & is at its best. Wayanad literally means “the land of paddy fields”. This land is rich in natural wonders, history & tradition. Its vast expanse of greenery, spice scented breeze, mist capped hills, salubrious climate & the hypnotizing beauty dazzle all visitors. Wayanad is a perfect weekend getaway that you will all cherish it forever. Green Gates Hotel is ideally located on a hillock in Kalpetta, the district headquarters of Wayanad. An exquisite 3 star hotel with all the comforts befitting a luxury hotel. All cottages & rooms here are elegantly appointed that leave no room for disappointment. The in-house facilities include among many other things, a games parlor with pool table, table-tennis, carrom, chess, darts.. etc., a state of the art fitness center, an ayurvedic spa, children’s play area, a meticulously maintained garden & a swimming pool. The service at the hotel is exceptional and unobtrusive. 280 kms. from Bangalore. Rs.2,750/-.
Tree Top Houses and Varietal stay resorts
- Pepper Green Resorts (Wayanad Resort), Near Kuruva Island, Palvelicham, Kartikulam Mananthavady, Wayanad, Kerala, ☎ +91 4935 251 110, . 8 eco friendly cottages built in bamboo. An undisturbed hamlet in the lap of nature where the only sounds you hear are the rustling of the leaves in the wind, chirping of the birds, the music of a river in flow, and sometimes, the rhythm of the drums from the tribal villages in the distance.Fringed on either sides by paddy fields and thick forests, Pepper Green Village stretches onto the banks of the Kabini River. Tariff ranges from Rs 3000 to Rs 5000. This resort is featured in Tripadvisor http://www.peppergreenresorts.com.
- == '''Planet green Plantation Resorts''' == (Kalpetta), Manjilam Kolli Road, Chuzhali, Via KSRTC bus Depot, Kalpetta town (3 Kms from Kalpetta bus stand), ☎ 9746728260, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 11.00 check out. Planet Green Plantation Resorts can confidently claim to be located in the most beautiful location in Wayanad. Located inside a coffee plantation, surrounded by acres of tea estates, the resort provides you unmatched luxury in most pristine surroundings. All the rooms face the majestic Chembra Peak towering 2100 meters above MSL. Emerald hills surround this picturesque resort on all sides. Nestled in a valley of coffee, tea and pepper plantations and a gorgeous mountain stream snaking its serpentine course through the resort property, planet green will provide you an out of the world experience. The resort is built in estate house style on pillars in a sloping hill. There are two blocks consisting of 5 rooms each with separate entry to each room to ensure complete privacy. Two rooms at the top floors of each block are premium rooms and three rooms of each block in the bottom floor are deluxe rooms. Total rooms- 10 Nos Premium Suites – 4 nos Area of 625 sq ft each, Kitchenette, Two balconies, drawing room, bedroom with attached bathrooms, Master bed of 7ft x 7 ft size, children beds 2 nos of 6 ft x 2.5 ft size, picture windows, Clear view of Mount Chembra. Click to get view Deluxe rooms – 6 nos Area of 300 sq ft each, balcony, master bed of 7 ft X 7 Ft in three rooms and 7 ft X 3.5 ft x 2 nos (separate beds) in three rooms, picture windows, Clear view of Mount Chembra, attached bathrooms. Other facilities 1.Doctor on call 2.Tie up with Ayurvedic hospital for providing ayurvedic treatment 3.Hot water 4.Laundry 5.Guided tours 6.Taxi service 7.Plantation visits 8.Arrangements to visit other attractions of Wayanad Activities How to enjoy the stay in the resort Take a River walk- our guide will take you for a one km walk through the mountain stream (except during monsoon months) Take a bath in the stream Coffee plantation morning walks Tea plantation walks Bird watch Star watch Cycling Trekking Dinner/lunch under coffee trees Indoor games like caroms, chess, cards etc
- Eddakal Hermitage, Near eddakal caves (can be reached on the way to eddakal caves), ☎ 4936 221860 & 91 4936 260123 (email@example.com), . 3500 to 4000rs.
- Green Magic Nature Resort 2, Meppadi.
- Vythiri nature resort, Lakkidi P.O, Wayanad, ☎ 4936 255366/ 255367/ 255661/ 255662 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 4500 to 6000 rs.
- PPS Tourist home, Kalpetta, ☎ 91-4936-203732. From Rs 250.
- Haritagiri Ecotel, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-203145 - 48, .
- The Woodlands, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-202547, .
- Chandragiri Inn, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-203049, .
- Raincountry Resorts, Lakkidi, ☎ 9447004369 / 9447245288 / 09287576617.
- Affas Tourist home, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-205185.
- The Resort, Sulthan Bathery, ☎ +91-4936-220512.
- Dwaraka Tourist Home, Sulthan Bathery, ☎ +91-4936-220358.
- M.G.T International, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-202705.
- Hiliya Resort, Kenichira, ☎ +914936211575, .
- Orchard Holiday Resort, Lakkidi, Vythiri, Wayanad (60 Kms East Of Calicut), ☎ +91 97464 58955, . checkin: 12 Noon; checkout: 11 AM. Orchard Holiday Resort at Lakkidi,Wayanad, atop the Western Ghats in God's Own Country, nestled in a misty green valley between three hills sorrounded by virgin forest & where the legendary Kabani orginates as rivulet and streams its way through, beckons you to a mesmerising holiday in a farm resort. Rs.3000/ +. (11.3N,76.01E)
- kochuparambil homestay, .
- Wyndale Holidays, Chundale (a short drive from NH212), . If you are visiting as a group of 4 to 10 people, Wyndale is an excellent place to stay which is surrounded by coffee plantation and you get a full house(ancient Kerala style rennovated) with three bedrooms. Will work out cheaper also for a group.