Mörön is the capital of Hövsgöl, and a usual stopover en route due to it's central location in the province.
- Fly daily from Ulaanbaatar for about $100USD (you can fly on to Khövsgöl Nuur on the same plane if this is your destination)
- Bus, or Micro-bus from Ulaanbaatar (around 2 days) or Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur 'White Lake' (6-8 hours on the rough track via Shine-Ider) or Khövsgöl Nuur (around 3-4 hours on the almost finished but unsealed road)
- Hitchhike or ride a bike, possibly paying a truck driver to take you
- Rent a jeep and driver from eg. Ulaanbaatar.
The town is small enough to walk around.
- Deerstone complex - 17km west of Moron. Deerstones are large 2 - 3m tall stones with deer and other images carved on the surface. From the Bronze age (1500BC).
- Monastery - Danzandarjaa Khiid - on the western edge of town, from 1890, rebuilt in 1990, well worth a 20 minute visit. Arrive in the morning around 10am for morning prayer. A small donation would help renovation work.
- Wrestling stadium - at eastern end of town
- Town Square - with monument to Davaadorj
Enjoy the 3G coverage of Mobicom in the city limits, or visit 50 100 Hotel for WiFi.
- There are a cluster of supermarkets around the 50° 100° Hotel; the largest and the best is directly across the road from the Hotels car park in a newer building. It's worth trying all the supermarkets as some stock things the others haven't.
- 50° 100° Hotel - Popular and until 2400. Some unfortunately tiny but unique (for northern Mongolia) salads. Otherwise a variety of Mongolian (try the honey beef for 6000) and perhaps Western fare such as pizza and lasagne (although apparently empty promises as they're never available). Guests at the hotel do not need a reservation. Free decent WiFi. Unfortunately no Real Coffee for now, just instant coffee mix. Cross your fingers they buy an espresso machine to complete the cosiness. Cinnamon roll: Stock up for those long horse treks north.
- Jargalan Restaurant - further west from the 50° 100° Hotel on the same side of the road is the Jargalan Restaurant (look for the cyrillic sign) which, although looking shabby from the outside, is pristine inside with bilingual menus (Mongolian and English) including pictures. Offering Mongolian fusion cuisine including Kimchi Hurshuur and a variety of soups. Tel: 24409 or 99509707.
- Shalom Burger - apparently no burgers, but definitely sweet snacks. Upstairs over the supermarket on the NE corner of the 50° 100° Hotel intersection.
- If you look carefully in the glass cabinets that masquerade as refrigerators at the supermarkets early enough in the afternoon before the staff have managed to eat them all, there are small pizza-like objects (around 12cm in diameter) in plastic wrapping. Amazingly, they taste like pizza!
Dont forget Wednesdays are alcohol free. So stock up on Tuesday and drink at home.
- Eco Darhad guest house helps you with transportaion,pick up service,translation,horsetrips,guides and informations. The guest house has apartment and Gers in the centre of the Muren city. with price 5-10$ p/p night.They organize all kind of trips in Khovsgol region corresponding to your needs.call to 88826188 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 50° 100° Hotel - reputedly the best hotel in town. Delux double rooms with TV and immaculate bathroom featuring a hot shower for ₮50.000, although possiblity of broken window panes. Situated on the central 'roundabout', N49° E100°. Wifi in the restaurant on 2nd floor, if you're lucky the pizza on the menu will be available. Otherwise the best cinnamon rolls outside of Sweden. Tlf: 99382345 and reserve ahead, it gets booked out in summer.
- Hotel Merci - Hotel, Cafe and Pub and in house Karaoke, what more could you need in Mörön?
See getting in.