Lubumbashi is the second largest city in the Democratic Republic of the Congo with a population of 1,374,000 and the principal city of the Katanga region.
Creole Swahili is the principal language of the Copperbelt mining cities and is somewhat more different from classical East African Swahili than that spoken elsewhere along the eastern edge of Congo. Most people can communicate in French, and many of the elite are more at ease in French than Swahili. English is widely spoken in businesses.
Lubumbashi is served internationally by South African Airways, Kenya Airways, Ethiopian Airlines and Zambian Airways. Flights within Congo D. R. are offered by Hewa Bora Airways  and by CAA .
Connections via Zambia to Dar es Salaam and to South Africa.
Freight trains connect to Zambia, Dilolo to the west on the Angolan border in Katanga province, Ilebo to the far northwest in Kasai Province with river transport on to Kinshasa, and via Kamina to Kindu and Kalemie (Lake Tanganyika border with Tanzania) to the north. Passenger service is infrequent and slow without international connections. Angola is completing rebuilding of the link from Dilolo to the ocean at Lobito after decades of war, and a direct rail link to Kinshasa, connecting on to the Atlantic coast, is again being planned.
Zoo de Lubumbashi, on Route Kipushi, as well as several predators like lion and tiger, zoo has a large snake collection.
Watch one of TP Mazembe's games (football team), as they are the football team in Africa.
Cercle Wallon (Belgium club): Eat, bar, tennis (incl. lessons), 10 pin bowling. 2 Avenue De la Revolution
Plage Tshombe: several restaurants and bars, situated on Route du Golf at Lake Tshombe.
- Bougian Villa Guest House, Av Lukonzolwa 58/59 (Golf Area), ☎ +243811743182, . checkin: noon; checkout: 10:30AM. Bougian Villa is a South African-owned Guest House claiming to offer the best accommodation in Lubumbashi. In-house restaurant (which offers good value home-style meals for breakfast, lunch, and supper), also a full bar, wifi internet, dstv, etc. 145$-185$.
- AMS Guest House, 7409, Avenue de la Revolution, ☎ +243995465769. checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. 18 rooms with air-con, DSTV, wi-fi and en-suite bathrooms, kitchenettes. Hotel also has a restaurant and bar. US$ 130 bed and breakfast, US$ 145 half board, US$ 165 full board.
- Hotel Karavia, down town on route du golf, it is in between the golf course at the left( west) side and lake karavia ( Tshombe ), . Formerly the old Sheraton Hotel that was abandoned for 10 Years, Fully Renovated in 2010
- Park Hotel (Hotel Leopold II), 50, Avenue Munongo (between main post office and train station). Built in 1929, this art deco gem is Lubumbashi's classic hotel. The inner courtyard has an excellent restaurant, with delightful live jazz most evenings. $100.
- Hotel Belle-Vue, Av. Kasai (one block from train station). One of the most beautiful buildings in Lubumbashi. The rooms are simple and inexpensive. The balcony overlooking the busy street is charming. $50.