Westwood is part of the Westside of Los Angeles, sometimes known as being part of West Los Angeles. Westwood is an area somewhere in between a neighborhood and a city that surrounds the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Most of the area's highlights cater to the college atmosphere. While the main village of Westwood had its heyday from the 60s throughout most of the 80s, it is currently picking up in popularity again as a trendy hangout for local teens and students of UCLA, which is on the far side of the area. Despite an increasing number of homeless people, Westwood is still known as one of, if not the safest neighborhood in the city, albeit with some of the worst traffic. Expect to spend for ever or pay a high price finding a parking space, but once you park the village is easy to walk around.
- BBB#1: goes from UCLA Transit Center to Venice Beach on Santa Monica Blvd.
- BBB#2: goes from UCLA Transit Center to Venice Beach on Wilshire Blvd.
- BBB#3: Travels from UCLA to LAX via Lincoln.
- BBB#4: Westside Pavilion to Downtown Santa Monica
- BBB#5: Pico/Rimpau to Downtown Santa Monica via Olympic
- BBB#7: Pico/Rimpau to Santa Monica Place
- BBB#8: UCLA to Downtown Santa Monica (goes to Westside Pavilion)
- BBB#9: Santa Monica Place to Pacific Pallisades
- BBB#10: Freeway Express (Santa Monica Pier to Union Station)
Check out the Big Blue Bus for more information
Many large premieres are held at either the Fox (the theater with the tall spire) or the Bruin (across the street). Sometimes they are held at the National, but not often. Either way, it's never hard to find a movie playing in the village.
If it's not an apartment party or a movie premiere, most students go out for a drink either on the Sunset Strip (Saddle Ranch, Miyagi's) or in WeHo (West Hollywood).
- Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash, 1045 Westwood Blvd., ☎ (310) 824-1373, . Su 11AM-5PM, M-Tu: 11AM-6PM, W-Sa: 11AM-8PM. Mediocre selection of comic books, but unparalleled collection of Kevin Smith memorabilia and lotsa other collectibles.
- Urban Outfitters - A store devoted to clothing catering to the "indie" scene that has become incredibly popular among young people in the city. There is also an Urban Outfitters in Sherman Oaks and Santa Monica.
- American Apparel - Another store that caters to the indie crowd, featuring incredibly tight and plain clothing in a myriad of colors handmade in sweatshop-free environments right in downtown L.A. Many American Apparels have opened up all over the world since.
- Buffalo Exchange - A thrift store with another location in Sherman Oaks. Also popular with the indie crowd. Stop by if you have some clothes to get rid of, or if you're looking for some cheap new threads.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| Under $10
|| $10 - $20
|| Over $20
- Buck Fifty's - Drunk and looking for a cheap bite to eat? Buck-Fifty's is the late-night food shack on Gayley (Fraternity row). It may look unsanitary but the Chili Cheese Fries are to die for. Everything used to be under a dollar-fifty, but you still won't spend over $3.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, 1077 Broxton Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90024, ☎ 310-824-4180. 11am-10pm Sun-Wed, 11am-11pm Thurs, Fri, Sat.
- Diddy Rease - Legendary among denizens of Los Angeles as one of, if not the best deserts you will find anywhere. Just $0.30 per cookie, or $1.50 for an ice cream sandwich. Expect to wait in long lines during peak hours, but their cookies are not to be missed. Be warned that you should eat quickly, as the cookies will not taste as good overnight, or even a few hours after purchase.
- In 'n Out - California's signature burger chain, with burgers cooked up fresh to order and fries that can't be beat by any of the more well-known joints. If eating in, expect minor delays during peak hours because the staff tends to favor the drive-through.
- Rose Ice Cream, 1397 Westwood Blvd.. 11:00am-9:00pm. Persian-style ice cream (similar in consistency and flavour to Italian gelato) in unusual flavours, such as date, rosewater, redcurrant, pistachio and cucumber(!!). They have half-pints, pints and quarts to take home, but ask the owner for help because the labels are in Farsi only. $.
- BJ's - Popular among college students for their massive selection of beers, great food, and the Piezooki--a massive chocolate chip cookie. Warning! Don't try to eat one all yourself!
- Bombay Bite . Open daily 11:30AM - 2:30PM for lunch and 5:00PM - 10:00PM for dinner.
- California Pizza Kitchen - Despite the name, this pizza chain can be found all over the country. Known for their signature sweet crust, CPK is a great casual sit-down meal for any length of time.
- Native Foods, 1110 Gayley Ave. (Westwood), . Innvoative variety of vegan foods, featuring salads, veggie burgers, rice and noodle bowls, pizzas, and desserts. Uses an original recipes for tempeh and seitan. Indoor & outdoor seating. Accept credit cards. Open daily.
- Red Mango - Among the first Red Mango stores to open up in the United States, this formerly Korean-only chain has been churning out exclusively plain and green tea-flavored yogurt in Korea since 2002, three years before the first Pinkberry opened up--at a lower cost and calorie count. The first American stores opened up in July of 2007.
- Sunnin, Westwood Blvd. just north of Santa Monica Blvd., next to Sherwin Williams Paints. 11:00am-9:00pm. Sunnin recently moved into a much bigger facility across the street from its previous location and prices increased as well as the floor space. It's not the dirt cheap bargain it once was, but the food is still moderately priced and excellent. Try the Kefta Kebab wrap and the Kebbeh Bil Saynieh. Sit at the counter and watch Toni, the owner, run her kitchen like a drill sergeant!
- Shamshiri, 1720 Westwood Blvd. (across from Ross Dress For Less). 11:00am-10:00pm. Westwood Blvd. between Wilshire and Pico is the heart and soul of L.A.'s 250,000 strong Iranian community; it's home to several Persian restaurants but Shamshiri is unquestionably the best. Excellent food at giant portions - you'll be buying dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. Try the Tachin (chicken, basmati rice and redcurrant casserole), Bademjan (lamb shank and aubergine (eggplant) stew) or Shirin Polo (roast chicken on top of rice pilaf with almonds and orange zest).
- Westwood Brewing Company - A homey sort of restaurant with lots of area spirit.
- Westwood Brewing Company - There's a drink special every night of the week.
- The Glendon Bar & Kitchen
- Acapulco's - Margarita Monday's is always a popular event.
- The Westwood on Wilshire, 10740 Wilshire Blvd, ☎ +1 310 475-8711, . Located in West LA, convenient to Culver City, Brentwood, Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and walking distance to Westwood Village and UCLA.