Los Altos is in Santa Clara County, in the South Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area in California.
If driving on El Camino Real, drive South on San Antonio Road, South on Los Altos Avenue, or South on Grant Road. If taking public transportation, VTA bus lines 40 and 52 go near downtown Los Altos.
Mostly residential, with three shopping areas and many parks.
Bicycling is popular, especially on the NE/SW route of Foothill Expressway. Peet's Coffee on State Street is a popular stop for bicyclists. A bicycle route from Los Altos Avenue to Arastradero road is a popular route to Stanford University that avoids much automobile traffic.
During Summer nights, Los Altos downtown (triangle) shows one movie per week, outside, free
Los Altos has four main shopping areas, listed in order of size:
- the south side of El Camino Real
- the Downtown Triangle  bordered on the Southwest by Foothill Expressway, on the North by Edith Drive, and on the East by San Antonio Road near its Southern terminus. This area is very suitable for walking and is much more peaceful and than similar downtowns in nearby Palo Alto and Mountain View, but still has plenty of foot traffic.
- Rancho Shopping Center at the intersection of Springer Road and Foothill, primarily Andronico's grocery store
- Loyola Corners at the Southern end of Miramonte Road has a variety of shops including a very popular high-end bicycle shop.
In the El Camino Corridor:
- Hunan Homes, . 1. (Chinese)
- Boardwalk, . (American: pizza, burgers, sandwiches)
- Whole Foods Market. has some indoor seating
In the Downtown Triangle:
- Los Altos Grill, . (American; formerly Bandera's)</eat>
- Sumo Sushi, 355 State Street, ☎ (650) 941-9898, . Japanese
- Los Altos Village Pantry.
In the Rancho Shopping Center:
- Andronico's Market. has limited seating
In Loyola Corners:
- Tom's Depot. for breakfast and lunch
- Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos, 4320 El Camino Real, ☎ +1 650 941-9900 (toll free: +1 800 321-2211, fax: +1 650 941-2866), .
- Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos, 4460 El Camino Real, ☎ +1 650 559-7890 (fax: +1 650 559-7891), .
Be careful to check for ticks  after hiking in fields in the bay area. There is a high rate of lyme disease transmission in the Bay Area. If a bulls' eye rash develops at the tick bite site, immediately seek medical help and treatment with antibiotics.
WikiPedia:Los Altos, California