Lobster boat Hattie Rose
from Long Island, Maine (picture at dock in Portland, Maine)
Long Island is a island in Maine and is also The Town of Long Island. It has a population of around 200 people. Seasonal residents causes the population to increase to over 700 during the summer. It seceded from the City of Portland in 1993 and that is when the island became a town. The island became a popular tourist spot after World War II.
- Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal: 56 Commercial Street, Portland, ME +1 (207) 774-7871, Fax: +1 (207) 774-7875, Email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org  Ferry to all the major islands.
The best way to get around is to walk or use a bicycle. You can transport your car to the island via the Casco Bay Lines, but it would be best to park at the ferry parking lot.
Long Island is a popular summer destination and is a 35 minute ferry ride from Portland.
- Long Island Community Library  - Volunteer run, open year round with Internet access and a wireless access point.
- The Dodwell Gallery - Is named in honor of James and Shirley Dodwell. Jim was known for his island watercolors.
- Sandy Beach also called South Beach The island is known for its sandy beaches. Note that there is a state owned beach, and there is a privately owned beach. Please respect the rules on the private beach.
- Town of Long Island Conservation Area
- Casco Bay Cruise - take the ferry for an island cruise on Casco Bay. You can take a daytime, sunset or moonlight cruise. If you are going in the evening, be sure to take a coat or jacket as it will get quite cool on the bay during the evening and night.
- Long Island General Store - sandwiches, pizza and snacks are available.
There are currently no restaurants in operation on Long Island.
The Famed Spar Restaurant ceased operations in 2006. In its place the owner built a 5-unit Condominium complex. However, across the street on the corner of Garfield and Island Avenues a local businessman with generational ties to the island built, opened and is operating the Capt. Perry's Cafe. Open year round, Capt. Perry's offer breakfast and lunch, with dinners during the summer on Thursday and Saturday evenings. Off-season the Cafe is open from Friday 11:00 through Sunday 4:00. Capt. Perry's serves beer and wine and does it's best to sell locally produces products and fresh seafood acquired from local fisherman.
- Vacation rentals are available on the Island.
- Chestnut Hill Inn Bed and Breakfast, Beach Ave. +1 207 766-5272.  email: mailto:CHSTNTINN@aol.com Open year round. For guests' convenience beach wagons, bicycles and sand chairs are available on a first come, first-served basis. $100-$155 per night.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!