Long Beach  is a city in Nassau County on Long Island, New York.
Long Beach is the perfect place to get away, especially when you want a relaxed, beach-bum lifestyle for a few days. This gorgeous stretch of clean sand and clear water is a short train ride from New York City. If you find your city life is too face paced a well, city-ish Long Beach is the place for you. This small city was founded in the 1880's and started out as a vacationing community where visitors crowded for some sea and surf. This gem of a community is located on the South Shore of Long Island, New York. Since it is a beach community, the temperature is +/- ten degrees in the winter/summer months. It is the perfect place to visit year round with loads of great restaurants and bars, but best utilized during the summer months when one can take advantage of the beaches.
- Long Island Rail Road station- located at W. Park Ave. and Park Pl. 1 Park Ave, Long Beach NY 11561. The Beach is a short walk from the station.
- Take the Long Island Expressway from the Meadowbrook Parkway South to Exit M-10 (Lido-Long Beach Loop Parkway), OR take the Belt Parkway East to Nassau Expressway towards Long Beach.
- There is a local bus service and a county MSBA line (Schedules )
Long Beach is a great walking town; there are tons of restaurants and shops within walking distance of the beach and boardwalk.
You can drive through Long Beach and there are various parking lots and parking meters located throughout town. Note: parking tends to be packed during the weekends and especially during the summertime so go early for a prime spot.
A great way to get around town. There are tons of Bike shops where you can rent bikes hourly or for the day. One option includes: Buddy's Bikes Etc. Located at 907 W Beech S, (516) 431-0804, call or visit for rates. OR Long Beach Bicycle Located at 755 East Park Ave. (516)432-9632.
- Long Beach Historical & Preservation Society Museum, 226 West Penn Street (between Laurelton and Magnolia Blvds.), . This museum was founded in 1980 to "educate the public about Long Beach and to preserve and enhance the city's architectural and historical heritage." The museum has thousands of pictures, documents, and memorabilia which can be viewed by the public.
- Holocaust Memorial at Kennedy Plaza, . Financed and designed by Holocaust survivor Dr. Stanley R. Robbin, M.D. in April of 1982, this giant granite memorial was erected in honor of those lost during the Holocaust. This impressive granite structure is something to see.
- 9/11 Memorial, 1300 Lido Blvd (Town Park Point Lookout). To remember 9/11, a major day in our nation's history, a monument has been erected in Lido Beach.
Long Beach has so many great attractions and fun things to do. No matter if you are looking for family fun or a solo weekend away there are plenty of options!
- Park Street. walk down the main street of Long Beach and see tons of trendy shops and boutiques as well as awesome restaurants.
- The Beach. 3.5 miles of soft sand, this beach plays host to sunbathers, boogie-boarders, surfers, boaters, and swimmers.
- The Boardwalk. this boardwalk stretches over 2 miles long and is the perfect place to ride your bike, roller-skate, run or walk and take in the breathtaking views of 3.5 miles of beautiful silky sand.
- Long Beach Cinema 4, 179 E. Park Ave., ☎ (516) 431-2400. if you get bored of the beach or need an activity for a rainy day, why not take in a movie at the theater? There is a Starbucks Coffee near if you're craving a coffee or a Baskin-Robbins if you want a quick ice cream cone. The convenience stand inside the theater is always fully stocked with sweet treats. The air-conditioned environment is comfortable and the seats are so comfortable you’ll feel as if you are lounging in your living room.
- Arts & Crafts Fair. Sat and Sun Jul 17th & 18th, Sat and Sun Aug 21st and 22nd. every summer there is an annual arts and crafts fair on the boardwalk and over 200 vendors participate and sell everything from food to hand-made jewelry.
- Restaurant Week, . Oct 8th-24th. This is definitely something you should check out if you are ever in Long Beach during October 8th-24th. There are fixed price menus of $19.99 or below offered at a at a ton of great and exclusive restaurants in the city. Definitely check this out if you are in the area during October because some of these restaurants have a long waiting list! $19.99 or below.
- Long Beach Surf, 70 W Park Ave, ☎ (516)431-5431, . This store carries a ton of surf gear and equipment. They also have a sale rack that they constantly add to so be on the lookout for some great deals.
- Unsound Pro, 359 E. Park Ave., ☎ (516) 889-1112. A surf/snow shop that prides itself on selling top name surfboards and wetsuits as well as snowboards and hot/cold climate clothes and accessories. Whether you are looking for a new snowboard or new surfboard, check out Unsound Pro.
- Ohh La La, 167 E Park Ave # A, ☎ (516)431-4070, . a fun and girly clothing boutique that describes it's clientele as "vintage and modern, casual and dressy, sexy and feminine, edgy and classic." With tons of designer and brand names and an enthusiastic staff, this store is worth checking out.
- Rose & Eye, 893 W Beech St # A, ☎ (516)897-7900. The woman's clothing boutique located in the West End has tons of dresses, shoes, and accessories. If you think ahead and join the mailing list, you can get 20% off your purchase.
There are so many great restaurants in Long Beach! Since it is a laid back beach community there are ton of bars and grilles that offer everything from delicious home-caught seafood to typical American cuisine like burgers and steaks. What ever you crave, a restaurant in LB will play into your taste buds.
- Sutton Place, 124 W. Park Ave, ☎ 516-431-3133, . This restaurant is known as the "great American bar and grille." The food is awesome, there are plenty of burgers and salads, foods to appease any appetite. It is also a very casual and relaxed environment, there are tables located inside as well as outdoors so diners can pick what kind of eating atmosphere they desire.
- Grill Fire, 40 East Park Avenue, ☎ 516-432-2690, . "an upscale seafood grill by the beach," this restaurant lives up to it's claim. The food is fresh, the service is friendly and the ambiance is relaxing. If you are looking for a luxurious night out in Long Beach, throw on some classy duds and go to Grill Fire.
- Long Beach Inn, 943 West Beech St., ☎ 516-432-9220 ext 10, . One of the best restaurants in Long Beach. Set up as a bar/grille type establishment, it is also Long Island's premier live music venue. Eat, drink and take in a set or two.
- Carnival Ice Cream Parlor. open seasonally and located on the boardwalk, Carnival has the best flavors of ice cream that are a delicious treat after hot hours spent on the beach. They have tons of original flavors and fair prices.
- Gino's Restaurant & Pizzeria, 16 W Park Ave, ☎ (516) 432-8193. If you are looking for great Italian food at a place that has been around forever Gino's is the place for you. Note: for every entree ordered you get complimentary salad and pasta, so bring your appetite.
- The Beach House, - If you are looking for a casual bar for a laid back night, definitely stop by this bar. The bar is fully stocked, food is served, and there is indoor and outside seating. Located at: 906 West Beech St (516) 208-8733.
- Tiki Bar- Filled with music, laughter and great drink specials, Tiki Bar is a great place to unwind any night, especially Thursdays when musicians are invited to jam from 9:00pm to 3:00am. Located at: 832 W Beech St (516) 608-0018.
- Speak Easy- Do yo want to visit a small spot on the West End? A great local spot, with great food, especially on Monday Night: Fried Chicken Night. This bar has a great assortment of beers from all around the world! Located at: 1032 W Beech St (516) 889-3279.
- Whales Tale, - With a nautical atmosphere and loaded jukebox you will be in for a great time here. It is a great place to drink beer, eat seafood and gamble. Located at: 916 W Beech Street (516) 432-9587.
- Shines- With dark mood lighting and tons of locals, Shines is a fun place to come if you want to meet some neighborhood "characters." Fun fact about Shines- free drinks on your birthday! Located at: 55 California Street (516)432-9248.
- The Allegria Hotel, : Known as "Oceanfront luxury in Manhattan's Backyard." This is a beach front hotel property that exudes elegance, class, and sophistication. There is a gourmet restaurant headed by chef Todd Jacobs that has been reviewed by the top food critics in New York. Located at: 80 West Broadway (516) 889-1300. For more information:
- Jackson Hotel, : Located one block away from the beach, and from the LIRR train station, this hotel is near the heart of Long Beach. While there is no restaurant accommodations, there is a continental breakfast every morning. There are airport and city transportation available as well. Located at: 401-405 East Broadway, (516)431-3700.
- The Long Beach Chamber of Commerce: For more information on local events, directions to venues, city data, transportation schedules, photo galleries. Located at 350 National Blvd. Long Beach, NY 11561.
- The City of Long Beach official website: for information on upcoming events and city ceremonies as well as accommodations. Located at: City Hall- 1 West Chester Street. Long Beach, NY 11561 (516) 431-1000. Website-
- Long Island Rail Road station- located at W. Park Ave. and Park Pl. 1 Park Ave, Long Beach NY 11561
- Car- Via Long Island Expressway.
- Bus- There is a local bus service and a county MSBA line (Schedules )
- Plane- Twenty minutes from John F. Kennedy International Airport, JFK Access Road New York, NY 10010-3672, (718) 244-4444
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!