Lone Pine  is in the Eastern Sierra region of California's Sierra Nevada mountains.
Lone Pine is in the extreme southern part of the Owens Valley. The tallest mountain in the contiguous United States is Mount Whitney, which is easily seen from Lone Pine by just looking up.
US 395 north from Los Angeles.
US 395 south from Reno, Lake Tahoe, and Yosemite National Park.
- Alabama Hills -- Many old westerns were filmed here.
- Mount Whitney
- Owens Lake -- a dry lake since Los Angeles acquired most water rights in the Owens Valley.
- Museum of Lone Pine Film History, 701 S. Main Street, ☎ (760) 876-9909, . M-W: 10A-6PM; Th-Sa: 10A-7P; Su: 10A-4P. Museum of Lone Pine Film History celebrates and preserves the long and varied film history of Lone Pine, Death Valley and the Eastern Sierra. (36.60088,-118.061588)
- Elevation -Hiking /Climbing /Mountaineering Supplies, 125 N. Main St., Lone Pine. 760-876-4560, : Offering a wide assortment of hiking, climbing, backpacking and mountaineering gear and supplies. From ultra-light packs and stoves to mountaineering boots and ice axes, Elevation in Lone Pine has the gear to supply your next Sierra adventure!
- Whitney Portal Store - (http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/): Offers "last minute supplies for hiking, camping, fishing, and related items for the portal visitors." Offers limited alcohol purchases (6-packs of beer, etc...). Store operates seasonally.
At least a dozen eating establishments exist in Lone Pine to cater to a variety of food tastes. Generally the restaurants err on the side of American and Italian fare. If you are staying a few days, it is recommended to try several of the establishments to better experience local cuisine.
- Whitney Portal Store - (http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/): On top of their retail operation, WPS has a small kitchen serving up breakfast and lunch fare. Recommendations for food are their huge pancakes and burgers -- great after a long hike! The kitchen closes whenever the store closes.
- Best Western Frontier Motel, 1008 S Main Street (on US 395), (760) 876-5571. Basic and clean. 
- Dow Villa Motel, 310 S Main Street (on US 395), (760) 876-5521. 
Lone Pine exists is a desert climate, so expect dry weather and extreme heat in the summertime. Drink lots of water (and eat a bit of food to help absorb it), and make ample use of the shade.
If you are stranded on the road outside of Lone Pine, be aware that little to no facilities exist outside of city limits. You may have to walk, flag a passing motorist for assistance (take care with this advice), or use a cell phone to get help. Local law enforcement consists of county sheriffs and Inyo National Forest Rangers.
Los Angeles' acquisition of water rights has dried up Owens Lake (south of town), which once was similar in character to Mono Lake. Dust storms now rage during windy times. If the wind is in just the right direction, Lone Pine gets dusted. This alkali dust is not good for your health, though it is worse for the health of the citizens of Lone Pine who must endure it constantly. You can probably safely ignore this warning unless you suffer from conditions like asthma or allergies.
- Death Valley is close enough that it can be visited in a long day trip, though there is enough to see there that a one-night stay in Beatty, NV might be worth it.
- Fossil Falls  is about an hour away.
WikiPedia:Lone Pine, California