| || |
Buses link North Uist with [[Berneray]], [[Benbecula]], [[South Uist]] and [[Eriskay]]. As part of the Western Isles Overland Route combination of bus and ferry, you can travel in under a day from [[Stornoway]] or Castlebay on [[Barra]] [http://www.cne-siar.gov.uk/travel/index.htm
Western Isles bus timetables]. |+|
Buses link North Uist with [[Berneray]], [[Benbecula]], [[South Uist]] and [[Eriskay]]. As part of the Western Isles Overland Route combination of bus and ferry, you can travel in under a day from [[Stornoway]] or Castlebay on [[Barra]] [http://www.cne-siar.gov.uk/travel/index.htm].
| || |
Revision as of 16:37, 15 December 2012
Lochmaddy is a village on the island of North Uist. Local signs use the Gaelic name Loch nam Madaidh
- Caledonian MacBrayne, . Citylink coaches generally connect with the ferries on the mainland.
- Uig on Skye to Lochmaddy Mon-Sun 1 or 2 per day taking 1 hour 45 minutes.
In the Outer Hebrides, there are airports in Stornoway (Isle ofLewis), Benbecula and Barra. These airports provide direct flights to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. The nearest to Lochmaddy is Benbecula.
Buses link North Uist with Berneray, Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay. As part of the Western Isles Overland Route combination of bus and ferry, you can travel in under a day from Stornoway or Castlebay on Barra .
You can explore the village on foot, although it is a fairly scattered settlement and often a direct route from A to B is not possible because of the coastline.
- Taigh Chearsabhagh  - an art centre with a museum and gallery, a cafe and a shop. Also worth seeing are the outdoor sculptures (ask inside for the guide leaflet).
- The coastline around Lochmaddy and the road to Loch Portain is remarkable for the number of little sea lochans.
Lochmaddy has a local shop/petrol station and a Bank of Scotland. In addition, Taigh Chearsabhagh sells books and souvenirs.
There is a cafe in Taigh Chearsabhagh.
- Uist Outdoor Centre, Lochmaddy .
Bed and Breakfasts
Some can be found on the tourist board website , but many are no longer listed due to the changes and "hassle".
- The Old Courthouse Lochmaddy HS6 5AE +44 1876 500 358 Bed and Breakfast from 25 - 30 pounds per person per night. Around 15 minutes walk from the ferry.
- Lochmaddy Hotel  Tel: 01876 500331. An established hotel next the ferry terminal.
- Tigh Dearg Hotel, Lochmaddy  01876 500700. Located about 15 minutes walk from the ferry.
In summer, the Tourist Information Office  is near the pier and is usually open for ferry arrivals.