Liaoyang (辽阳市 Liáoyáng Shì) is a city in Liaoning province in China.
This is an ancient city with a long history going back over 2400 years. Liaoyang had been the major city of Liaodong (eastern Liaoning) province since the Waring States Period (475-221 BC). When Nurhachi united the Manchurian tribes and founded the Late Jin Dynasty, Nurhachi moved his capital to Liaoning. An imperial palace was built there in 1621. The new capital was renamed Dongjing (East Capital). The city measured 900m east to west and 840m north to south. The city wall was 11 metres high with two gates on either side. However, this palace was barely completed when Nurhachi moved his court yet again to the city of Shenyang in 1625. Nowadays, little remains of the old palace but some walls and gates are visible. In 1904, Battle of Liaoyang was fought as one of the major battles of the Russo-Japanese War. After the end of the second world war and the Chinese civil war, Liaoyang became a centre for heavy industrial development. It is somewhat overshadowed by the now larger neighbours of Shenyang and Anshan but remains one of the key cities of Liaoning province.
The nearest airport to Liaoyang is Shenyang Taoxian International Airport (SHE) simplified Chinese: 沈阳桃仙国际机场. This is some 60km away and take about 1 hours to reach by road.
Liaoyang is well conected by train to most major cities in Liaoning, including Shenyang, Anshan, Dalian, Benxi, Panjin and Dandong. The service is frequent inexpensive. Long distance routes connect Liaoyang to much of China with trains terminating as far a field as Shanghai.
Liaoyang in beside the main Shenda express way that runs north to south along the Liaodong pensular from Shenyang to Dalian. The Shenxi express way form Shenayng to Benxi city also runs through Liaoyang.
Three coaches daily connect Beijing and Liaoyang. There are twice daily coaches to Changchun. Frequent coaches run to and form most major cities in the Province. Coaches to or from Anshan, Benxi and Shenyang run as frequently as the buses circulate.
- White Pagoda (Baida) Park (白塔公园), 60 Zhonghua Road, Liaoning. (中华大街一段60号) (From the train station take No.7 bus.), ☎ +86(0419)2126429. This is the talles, at 70.4 metres, ancient pagoda in the Northeast of China. It dates to the Liao Dynasty and is one of the 6 oldest pagoda towers in China. The park was constructed around the pagoda in 1908.
- Guangyou Temple Scenic Area (广佑寺风景区). Contructed during the Eastern Han Dynasty, this is one of the oldest Buddhist sites in China. In the year 1161, the site received favour of the Emperor and was expanded. In the early 1900's, the army of the old Tsarist Russia burned the site. It has since been restored. This temple complex covers some 60,000 square metres. Within lies a large statue of Sakyamuni Buddha made of camphor wood and gilded with gold. It is the largest, by volume, statue of Sakyamuni Buddha in camphor wood in the world and stands some 21.48 meters high.
- Longfeng Mountain Scenic Spot and Temple (龙峰寺风景区), Xiadahe Town, Liaoyang. (About about 35 kilometers form Liaoyang City centre.). Longfeng temple dates to the time of the Tang Dynasty Emperor Zhenguan, over 1,300 years ago. It was renovated during the Ming and Qing dynasties. According to inscriptions in the temple, Tang Emperor Taizong visited the site as did the Emperor Qianlong of Qing in the 44th year of his rule. The temple was damaged during the Cultural Revolution of the 20th century. It has since been restored.
- Liaoyang City Museum (辽阳市博物馆), 2 Zongxin Street, Wensheng District, Liaoyang. (辽阳市文圣区中心路2号) (Form the train station take No.23 or No.16 bus.), ☎ +86(0419)3232297, +86(1330)4198145. This museum opend in 1985 and in 2002 was graded as a AA class site by the Provincial Tourism Bureau. The museum covers 31,450 square meters over five galleries and contains 4,000 items form the neolithic through to Ming and Qing dynasties.
- Cao Xueqin Memorial Hall (曹雪芹纪念馆).
- Wang Erlie Memorial Hall (王尔烈纪念馆). Qing kangxi
- Li Zhaolin House (李兆麟故居).
- Liaoyang Forest of Steles (辽阳碑林).
- Hehuogou Provincial Level Forest Park.
- Gongchangling Skiing Field, Tanghe scenic spot, Gongchangling District, Liaoyang..
- Hainan Restaurant (海纳百川), Xinxing Road, Liaoyang. (新兴街富虹水月翰宫二期北门西20米), ☎ 6976228 13841918338. Sichuan amd Xiangcai style boiled fish broth from Beijing.
- Liaoyang Tain Fu Can Yin Yu Le You Xian Gong Si (辽阳天福餐饮娱乐有限公司), 334 Xinyun Street, Wensheng District, Liaoyang. (文圣区新运大街334号), ☎ 4133555.
- Baida District, Lan'guifan Restaurant (白塔区兰桂坊西餐厅), ☎ 2130133.
- Liaoyang City, Shi Guang Zhou Tan Huo Shao Kao Chung (辽阳市光洲炭火烧烤城), ☎ 3122588. Barbcue restaurant.
- Liaoyang Dong Shu Huoguo Restaurant (辽阳东蜀火锅城), ☎ 4226696 4226996. Sichuan style hotpot restaurant.
- Baida District, Mojiafu Huoguo (白塔区万家福火锅城), ☎ 2153755.
- New Century Hotel (新世纪酒店), ☎ +86(0419)2128888. A four star hotel that contains dining rooms, KTV Plaza, Chaba, bars, sauna parlours, business centre, etc.
- Liaoyang Hotel (辽阳宾馆), Zhonghua Road, Liaoyang. (辽阳市中华大街一段6l号), ☎ +86(0419)2288000. This 13 story building covers 19,995 square metres and contains 143 rooms. There is a conference centre with a capacity of 500 people.
- Liaoyang Fuhong International Hotel (辽阳富虹国际饭店), ☎ +86(0419)2268888. A five-star hotel
- Liaoyang Tingzhou Hotels Ltd (辽阳汀洲大酒店有限公司), ☎ +86(0419)2258999.
- Liaoyang Silver Dream Hotel (辽阳银梦大酒店酒店有限公司), 49 Road(民主路49号), ☎ +86(0419)2136888, +86(0419)2134179 (fax: +86(0419)2153466). A 10,000 square meters hotel with
- Yanshui Hotel (衍水宾馆), 158 Zhonghua Road, Liaoyang. (中华大街158号), ☎ +86(0419)3135901, 313666.
- Liaoyang Xiangping Hotel (辽阳襄平宾馆).
- Liaoyang City Huayuan Hotel (辽阳市华园宾馆), ☎ 3232344.
- Liaohua Hotel (辽化宾馆), 40 Zhonghua Road, Liaoyang. (辽阳市青年大街40号), ☎ 5153481. This 236 room hotel covers an area of 54,000 square metres. There are 16 meeting rooms for business and the 15 different restaurants can seat 600 dinners. The function and banquet suite can accommodate 500 guests.