Lehighton is a borough in Carbon County, near Jim Thorpe, Allentown and The Lehigh Valley, in the state of Pennsylvania in the United States of America.
The closest airport is Lehigh Valley International Airport (IATA: ABE), near Allentown. Lehigh Valley International Airport is roughly a forty-minute drive from Lehighton. (From the airport, take Airport Road north to SR 248 north, which ends at US 209 just outside Lehighton).
Philadelphia International Airport (IATA: PHL) in Philadelphia offers a wider variety of destinations. It is approximately 1.5 hours south from Lehighton using I-476.
By car, it is easy to get to Lehighton from several major highways. Lehighton is approximately 3 miles from Exit 74 of the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476). Travelers from New York or northern New Jersey can take I-80 west to exit 304 in Stroudsburg, PA and then take 209 south approximately 30 miles to Lehighton.
Lehighton and the surrounding region have no significant means of public transportation. Taxi service is available but pick-ups must be arranged by telephone. A car rental service can be found in downtown Lehighton on North First Street, or at the Lehigh Valley International Airport.
Traffic is generally light on the residential streets in town and the rural roads outside of town. During rush hour on weekdays and many times on weekends traffic can be heavy on SR 443 between its eastern end at US 209 and the area of the Carbon Plaza Mall a few miles west. Traffic on US 209 on the Thomas McCall Bridge is often heavy also, especially Friday and Saturday nights, consider using Bridge Street through Weissport as an alternative.
- The Lehigh River Take in scenic view of the Lehigh River from various points around Carbon County.
- Fall Foliage In the fall, be sure to see the beautiful color change of tree covered mountains. The Fall Foliage Festival in nearby Jim Thorpe is the peak tourist season of this area.
- Flagstaff Park on top of the mountain gives a commanding view of Jim Thorpe and the surrounding area.
- The Number 9 Mine and Museum,  in nearby Lansford. Travel into a real coal mine and learn about the area's coal mining past.
- Altered Nightmares (Haunted Factory), 500 Bridge Street, Weissport, Pa 18353 (Route 209 South into Lehighton, make right onto Bridge Street @ Dunkin Donuts, first factory on left), ☎ (570) 369-6606, . 7-11pm. An indoor walk through haunted factory with live actors and paranormal activity. Open weekends in October for the Halloween and Fall Foliage Season, as well as select summer nights for our Ghost Hunts. The building was constructed more than 110 years ago, and was used as Sawmill, Silk Mill, Textile Mill, and an assortment of other uses. Come celebrate everything haunting with us. $15.00 per person.
- Pocono Whitewater Rafting, 1519 State Route 903, Jim Thorpe, 1-800-WHITEWATER,  on the Lehigh River. April-October. Rates start at $31.95. Water on the Lehigh River is very shallow during most of the year.
- Blue Mountain Ski Area, in Palmerton, 610-826-7700,  is about 15 minutes from Lehighton and features several ski hills and a snow tubing area.
- Hiking The former site of the Switchback Railroad is a popular trail. Also, the Appalachian Trail runs within 15 miles of Lehighton. Hiking is also good at Lehigh Gorge State Park, with several access points nearby: Glen Onoko in Jim Thorpe and Rockport and White Haven further north.
- Bowling at Fritz's or Cypress Lanes in town.
- Biking at various places throughout the area. Try the Lehigh Canal towpath, which connects Weissport (near Lehighton) and Jim Thorpe, a scenic ride of 3 miles, or in the Lehigh Gorge State Park.
- Fishing is great in many places. Try Beltzville Lake for bass or even muskellunge. You can catch trout in various streams around the area, including the Mahoning Creek on the south side of Lehighton, the Lehigh Canal from Weissport to Jim Thorpe (a great place to fish with kids), the Lehigh River near Lehighton and at Glen Onoko, and Pohocopo Creek below the Beltzville Dam.
- Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom, . A large park known for roller coasters and many other rides, waterpark with slides and wavepool, and special Halloween events. 30 minutes from Lehighton by car.
- Bike Night is a one day motorcycle festival held at the Borough Park, and North and South Streets between First and Third Streets. Tens of thousands of visitors attend each August.
- Ukranian Festival is a 2 day cultural event held at the Ukranian Homestead just north of town that draws large crowds.
The state's 6% sales tax does not apply to clothing or groceries. Most of the shopping in the Lehighton area is actually located in Mahoning Township on SR 443 just west of town. Some of the businesses include:
- Wal-Mart recently openned a new Supercenter 1/2 mile west of the Carbon Plaza Mall. The previous location, accross 443 form the Carbon Plaza Mall, is being developed by Lowe's.
- The Carbon Plaza Mall has a Chinese restaurant, Italian restaurant, drug store, Giant food store, a Hallmark, a nail salon, hair salon, bank, dollar store and 8 screen movie theater. In the same strip there is a notary service, Rent-A -Center, dry cleaner, and Big Lots.
- The First Street business district is undergoing a revitalization process. It is currently home to a discount store, music store, tattoo parlor, pet store, and several other shops and eateries.
- Nearby Jim Thorpe is a touristy area with small shops on Broadway.
- Country Junction, This is the world's largest general store with an Ace Hardware, a Ashley Furniture, a winery, a pet shop, a restaurant cafe that has a pizzeria, ice cream, and a big screen television, and the most unique gifts around. Be sure to stop in during October for there world famous Great Pumpkin Festival. They are located on route 209
- The Lehigh Valley Mall in Whitehall, a suburb of Allentown, is much larger. Many speciality stores such as Macy's, JCPenney, Boscov's, Baker Shoes, Go! Games, EB and American Eagle and others. In the general area of the mall, there are many restaurants, such as The Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays and Ground Round. There are also many stand alone stores, like Best Buy, Borders and Staples. About 30 minutes from Lehighton by car.
- Trainer's Inn, Located on Route 209 near the PA Turnpike interchange. Upholds a very high reputation with local residents.
- Alfie's,First Street (Rt. 209) in downtown Lehighton. A simple Italian restaurant in downtown Lehighton with delicious food and large portions. There is seating, but take-out is more common for regulars. Pizza and cheesesteak sandwiches,
- Pizza Hut,Blakeslee Blvd. (Rt. 443) in Lehighton. This location has eat-in seating and a salad bar.
- Macaluso's, at the Lantern Inn. . An elegant restaurant serving Italian food.
- McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, Long John Silvers, Located on Blakeslee Blvd. (Rt. 443) about 1 mile west of Lehighton. - Fast Food.
- PJ Whelihan's, Harrity Rd. just off Rt. 209 near the PA Turnpike interchange. Formely Platz's PJ Whelihan's is family style restaurant serving up quality food such as their famous buffalo wings. Their wings were the official wing bowl 2008 wings. The decor is cozy with lots of old time signs and things on the walls.
- Verona Pizza House,corner of Mahoning and Fourth Streets near downtown Lehighton. A newer addition to Lehighton. Sells a variety of foods, including pizza, hoagies, and ice cream.
- Chiu Kwan Kitchen, in the Carbon Plaza Mall on Blakeslee Blvd. (Rt. 443) about 1 mile west of Lehighton. Chinese food.
- Sapore Restaurant, junction of Rts. 443 and 209. Italian Food. Formerly Caruso's.
- The Boulevard, Blakeslee Blvd. Homestyle cooking in a family restaurant setting. Salad Bar.
- Trattoria 903, 995 North Street (Rt. 903), Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, ☎ (570)325-3040. Italian Cuisine All of the food at the Trattoria 903 in Jim Thorpe is made from fresh ingredients that are bought locally or in New York City. The extensive menu includes appetizers (fried calamari and mussels marinara), salads, sandwiches and paninis and pasta. Entrees include chicken or veal parmigiani, chicken or veal francesse, linguini with clams and tortellini with prosciutto and mushrooms in light cream.
- Roadies Resturant and Bar, 325 Maury Road, P.O. Box 514, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, . Located in Penn's Peak.
Hotels and Motels
- Mahoning Inn, . (Formerly the Mahoning Court Motel)
- Mooney's Motel (Lehighton)
- Country Inn and Suites
- Hampton Inn (Lehighton)
- The Lantern Inn,  Jim Thorpe
- The Inn at Jim Thorpe,  Jim Thorpe
Bed and Breakfasts
- The Guest House, (610) 377-1857
- The Woods Campground,  Is a membership-only gay and lesbian, clothing optional campground, exclusively for those 18-and-over, located on 100 private acres with a five acre lake, pool and spacious camp sites.
- Bake Oven Campground, on Rte. 895 south of Lehighton, . Scenic campground located in East Penn Township.