Legian is a beachfront town in South Bali, located north of Kuta and south of Seminyak.
Stretching north from Kuta, Legian offers the same easy access to shops and bars but a slightly more relaxed and less chaotic feeling. It is a low-key area where you can still get the low prices of Kuta without some of the hassle. The northern area of Legian bordering Seminyak offers a bit of an escape from the crowds and is also a popular surf beach.
This is a small area fronting the beach which stretches from Jalan Melasti (where Kuta ends), north to Jalan Arjuna (better known as Jalan Double Six) where Seminyak begins. Most of the popular Legian hotels are on or close to the beach. The whole of Legian is no bigger than a few blocks in a large city, but despite its small size, this area has a very high profile with visitors due to the lovely beach frontage, and proliferation of mid-market hotels.
The most popular stretch of Legian Beach is at the bottom of Jalan Padma, and is sometimes called Padma Beach. It is more relaxed than Kuta, has a better and less crowded surf break, and is home to many nice vendors selling beers under umbrellas. There is easy parking here for Rp 1,000 per motorbike.
There is a long north-south road between the beachfront hotels and the beach, which is only open for authorised vehicles when there is a ceremony being held. Otherwise it is a well paved footpath, and makes for an excellent walking route, allowing users an easy beach-side stroll along to restaurants, bars and nightclubs on Double Six Beach.
The main road is Jalan Legian which can get very jammed indeed. All roads to the beach run westwards, more or less perpendicular to Jalan Legian.
The airport is located south of Legian and a taxi or car journey from there will take about will take about 20 minutes. A pre-paid coupon taxi fare from the airport is Rp 55,000.
Kuta and Seminyak are either side of Legian and you can walk, drive or bike in from both those areas.
Most of Legian can be covered on foot if you are not in a hurry, but taxis are plentiful as are motorbike rental outlets. Expect to pay Rp 50,000 to 80,000 per day for renting a motorbike.
Aside from the obvious (the gorgeous beach!), there is not a great deal to see in Legian. It is a place where visitors stay, shop, eat, drink and go to the beach. Legian Beach is one of the best in Bali for viewing the sunset.
Surfboards on Legian Beach
Head into the ocean with boogie boards (Rp 20,000/hour) and surfboards hired from at beach or take surfing lessons from the Surf School based at Blue Ocean beach. Quiksilver surf school offers lessons lasting 2.5 hours for Rp 390,000 (+62 361 791 2220, ). They also rent boards for Rp 50,000 per hour, but if you have taken lessons with them, you can get a reduced rate of Rp 20,000 per hour. If renting from locals on the beach, be sure to use this fact to get a good price.
On Saturday and Sunday evenings, the beach front is packed with tourists, expats, locals and motorbikes, with fire pois and musicians jamming on the beach - you'll be more than welcome to join in.
Almost every evening at about 5PM a game of beach football begins right in front of de ja vu on Blue Ocean Beach. Visitors are normally welcomed if they want to join in.
A more leisurely beach pursuit is to situate yourself, cocktail in hand, at one of the many beach front cafes on this stretch, and watch one of the world's great sunsets. Be in position by about 5.30PM.
Spas and treatments
Informal massages, manicures, pedicures and hair braiding, are all widely available while you relax on the beach in this area.
- Glow Spa At Mandira, Jalan Padma 2 (opposite Padma Hotel), ☎ +62 361 751381, . 10AM-8PM daily. A spa Treatments based upon the principles of restoring balance, beauty and harmony to mind and body From US$16.
- Legian Beach Spa, Jl Melasti (at the Legian Beach Hotel), ☎ +62 361 751711, . 9AM-7PM. A full range of treatments on offer including from basic therapeutic massage, to Javanese 'Lulur' body scrub and "Rempah and Honey" treatment, a traditional massage followed by a body mask of honey, clay, flowers and roots. From.
- Talaga Spa, Jl Dewi Sri 16, ☎ +62 361 8733831, . 9AM-9PM. A high end day spa offering a variety of treatments and packages lasting from 90 minutes to three hours. Specialise in the use of VCO (virgin coconut oil). From US$45.
Legian is crammed full of shops selling everything from the latest designer surfware to Balinese souvenirs to take home. This is a shopping destination. Covering the main shopping area in Legian will not take too long. It encompasses Jalan Melasti, Jalan Padma, Jalan Werkudara and Jalan Arjuna, all of which run perpendicular to Jalan Legian on the beach side. Jalan Padma is especially good for beads, shell work and other similar trinkets. Jalan Arjuna is lined with small stores selling sarongs and fabrics. On Jalan Legian look for slightly more upmarket boutiques, and the ubiquitous surfwear/sportswear stores (although the larger of these are in neighbouring Kuta).
There are two markets on Jalan Melasti. Close to the beach at the western end there is a large art market selling Balinese handicrafts and other items for tourists. You could easily buy all of your presents to take home in one visit here. At the eastern end where Jalan Melasti becomes Jalan Sri Wijaya, there is a morning fresh produce market which opens from about 5AM.
Legian's beachfront restaurants are popular spots for sunset and people watching.
You can get bakso (soup with meat balls), mie goreng (fried noodles) and nasi goreng (fried rice) from the small warungs (outdoor cafes) on the beach. Very cheap and very tasty.
- Bali Beach Shack Bar & Restaurant, Jl Sahadewa 7, ☎ +62 819 36222010 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 11AM-midnight daily. Live music daily, Indonesian drag cabaret every Thur, Fri, Sat at 10:15PM and 11:15PM. Good service, Australian and Indonesian eats. Despite the name, it is not by the beach
- Fresh Warung, Jl Legian, Legian (just south of Jl Melasti, right next door to Crown Restaurant), ☎ +62 813 37573332. Fresh Warung specialises in local & international dishes. It is small but cheerful, clean & serves up well-priced quality food. Emi, the owner, is cheeky and provides great service.
Indonesian Cuisine in Legian
- Gosha Bar and Restaurant, Jl Melasti 7, ☎ +62 361 759880, . A huge, cavernous restaurant. The ambience and set up is not great, but the food is very reliable and this is a popular eatery with Australian visitors especially. Been around since 1985. Broad menu offering seafood, western and Indonesian dishes.
- Island Cafe, Jl Legian, Gang #19 (near Air Asia office), ☎ +62 813 5303 7096 (email@example.com), . 7.30-10PM, Mon-Sun. Italian coffee (Segafredo) , healthy food choices, Free WiFi and a relaxed environment. Wood fire pizza oven. From Rp 30,000.
- Indo-National, Jl Padma 17, Legian, ☎ +62 361 759883 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Long-standing and popular Australian-run restaurant with a truly enormous menu. Simple Indonesian and western food, no great shakes but very reliable. Mains Rp 25,000-70,000.
- Ketupat, Jl Dewi Sri, Legian, ☎ +62 361 758969, . The second branch of this top notch Indonesian restaurant. Similar to the long-established Kuta venue, decked out in a traditional Javanese style and with the same menu. High quality tastes of Indonesia.
- Lanai, Jl Blue Ocean (''Jl Pantai Legian''), ☎ +62 361 731 305. On the site that used to be Benny's Cafe, Lanai serves up big portions and has great views of the beach from the upstairs balcony.
- Seaside (formerly Cafe Warna), Jl Pantai Legian 14. Now only open from mid afternoon. Food is decent, beachside setting very good indeed, and they have great bar. Closest restaurant to Hotel Jayakarta.
- Tekor Bali, Jl Blue Ocean (''Jl Pantai Legian''), ☎ +62 361 735268 (email@example.com). Broad Indonesian menu and all food is beautifully presented. Great for Balinese and Indonesian specialties: try the Bebek Betutu, slow-roasted duck with Balinese spices. Perhaps the best breakfast on the beach in Bali. Midrange prices (entree Rp 50,000- Rp 100,000) for upscale food, this is one of Bali's best bargains.
- Waroeng Asia, Jl Arjuna 23, Legian, ☎ +62 361 7420202 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Popular Thai restaurant with very affordable prices. Large range of mid-priced meals. Rp 20,000-70,000.
- Zanzibar, Jl Pantai Arjuna, ☎ +62 361 733529, . A well-established restaurant with excellent Italian cuisine and especially good pasta dishes. Right on Blue Ocean beach. A great spot to watch all the action whilst enjoying a quality meal.
- 66 Corner Restaurant & Cafe, Jl. Double Six/Jl. Werkudara 23, ☎ +62 361 730 403. Daily 8AM-11PM. 66 Corner offers cuisine from all over the globe. Happy hours from 4-7PM with 30% off all beverages and free wifi is also available. Covers also all sports games live on big screen TV, such as rugby, soccer, F1 and many more. Movie nights are held on every Tues and Thur. From Rp 20,000.
- de ja vu, Jalan Blue Ocean 7X (''Jalan Pantai''), Legian (Go to the beach end of Jalan Double Six, turn left and it is 50 m on the left hand side), ☎ +62 361 733 777. A very happening beach-side dance bar. Popular with the pre Double Six crowd from about midnight-3AM. Lightweight clubwear is appropriate here and they can get sniffy about singlets and sandals. Check local listings for special events and name DJs.
- Jaya Pub, Jl Legian (junction of Jl Legian and Jl Nakula - down a small lane, well signed), ☎ +62 361 730937. This live music bar has been around forever and gives a distinct impression of being stuck in a timewarp. Still, the bands are fun and beer is cheap.
- Monsoon, JL Werkudara (Nr Hotel Jayakarta), ☎ +62 361 762297 (email@example.com). Opening in the afternoon and closing at 1AM. Offers entertainment with a large collection of Retro Music Videos from 1964-2000. A good variety of Tapas and drinks are available all at reasonable prices. Selected smokers areas.
- cobra mushroom, gang poppies 2. 100.000.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under US$25
|| Over US$130
Squeezed between Kuta and Seminyak, this area has a wide variety of accommodation options, and especially so in the mid-range market. Legian is a bit more upmarket compared to the surfer and backpacker oriented Kuta, but distinctly downmarket from hip Seminyak.
- Blue Ocean, Jl. Blue Ocean (''Jl. Pantai Legian''). This legendary surfie hangout from the 1970s remains an oasis of crustiness in the midst of the many mid-range hotels on Legian beachfront and beyond. For Rp 120,000/night you can get a large room with a couple of single beds or a double, an outdoor bathroom and kitchen facilities. No pool but the beach is right on the doorstep, you'll only get one thin blanket, toilet rolls and towels only if you ask, and a noisy fan. No extra charge for mosquitoes and dust. For Rp 30,000 more you can get A/C. The place has an ambience all of its own and the staff are a delight once you get through the door. You are likely to be told the place is full, but be persistent as there's nearly always a room available.
- Sayang Maha Mertha Hotel, Jl. Melasti, Lebak Bene, Legian Klod, ☎ +62 361 751249, . Technically in Kuta. Clean budget hotel, pool, inexpensive bar. Good backpacker vibe. Slightly overpriced, but can book online thru Hostelbookers. From US$18.
- Su's Cottages I, Jl. Pura Bagus Taruna (Jl Werkadura) No 532, ☎ +62 361 730324 (fax: +62 361 762202), . This popular hotel has a tiny pool and friendly staff. It's located only 3 min from Legian beach. The cheapest rooms come with hot water, breakfast and TV. For a bit more you get A/C as well. Has wifi but not in rooms and costs 15,000Rp/hour. A lot of long term expatriates stay here. From Rp 275.000.
Mid-range accommodation abounds in Legian and there is an almost endless selection. Shop around and look for the best deals. Outside of the peak seasons you can get substantial discounts from decent beachfront hotels in this area.
- All Seasons Legian (Formerly the Bali Dwira Hotel), Jl Padma Utara, ☎ +62 361 767688 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +62 361 756197), . checkout: noon. . A bright and breezy contemporary hotel. In-house spa, restaurant and bar and a large swimming pool. Excellent value for money and in a convenient location. From US$73.
- Bali Mandira, Jl Padma No. 2, ☎ +62 361 751381, . Nicely situated hotel at the beach end of Jl Padma. Beach views and good dining options. From US$65.
- Bali Matahari Hotel, Jl Melasti, Gang Lebak Bene, Legian, ☎ +62 361 763707 (email@example.com), . 44 rooms with basic amenities, restaurant, swimming pool, wifi available. From US$33.
- Courtyard Hotel and Apartments, Jl Werkudara 14, ☎ +62 361 750242 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Good value rooms and 1-2 apartments in a small complex with full hotel facilities. Nice pool and passable coffee shop. The apartments all have an equipped mini-kitchen. From US$100.
- Dewa Bharata Kuta, Jl legian kuta bali, ☎ +62 361 751764 (email@example.com, fax: +62 361 751764), . equipped with large swimming pool, restaurant with free wifi. From US$40.
- Hotel Jayakarta, Jl Werkudara, ☎ +62 361 751433, . Huge hotel which is a long time favourite with families from Australian and New Zealand. It has seen better days though and is looking more than a bit tired. Has a club section  which offers managed timeshare service apartments with kitchens for nightly rental from Rp 850,000.
- The Island Hotel, Jl Padma Utara, Gang Abdi #18, ☎ +62 361 762722 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 10 double rooms with cableTV and ensuite. For the budget conscious, there is are 2 dorms available from Rp 200,000 (low season), Rp 250,000 (high) incl tax/free cont.breakfast. Dorm has a personal locker and good personal space. If you book 3 nights or more, you can receive a free airport pickup. Infinity pool, cafe, Free high speed WiFi throughout and massage services. From Rp 500,000.
- Kumala Pantai, Jl Werkudara,, ☎ +62 361 755500 (email@example.com), . On the beach and the standard of service and decor is high for the price. From Rp 600,000.
- Puri Dewa Bharata Hotel & Villas, Jl Nakula No. 11, Legian/Seminyak, ☎ +62 361 730425 ("""), . Budget clean hotel on the northern border of Legian where it meets Seminyak. From US$39.
- Puri Raja, Jl Padma Utara, Legian, ☎ +62 361 755902 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Recently refurbished , pleasant grounds , good value and has loyal regulars. From US$65.
- Rama Garden Hotel, Jl Padma, . This place has been around a long time and has well appointed rooms and notably good service. From US$71.
- Sara Residence, Jl Nakula 9 (Jl Dewi Sri or Jl Sunset, turn left, 100 meters from junction, on left side), ☎ +62 361 738999, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. A modern style block with 14 apartments with 2-3 bedroom options. Elevator, swimming pool in a landscaped garden, daily breakfast included, free wifi, 24 hr security. From US$80.
- Suri Wathi Hotel, Jl Sahadewa 12, ☎ +62 361 753162 (email@example.com), . A popular, cheap and cheerful hotel right in the centre of the hustle and bustle of Legian. A range of double or twin A/C rooms. Quite a large pool and simple restaurant. 5 min walk to the beach. US$25-45.
- Bali Niksoma, Jl Padma Utara, ☎ +62 371 751946, . A boutique hotel on the beach which would happily be at home in chic Seminyak. Beautifully designed with top quality spa, restuarant and large pool. The rooms are contemporary in design and decoration. Forty four rooms in the main building and then several detached cottages including a private 2 bedroom villa. From US$225.
- Maharta Bali, Jl. Padma Utara, ☎ 62 361 752946, . All rooms have air-conditioner, private toilet and shower, cable TV, refrigerator, mini bar, coffee/tea maker, balcony/terrace, telephone, writing desk, complimentary bottled mineral water, iron and ironing board. Some of its facilities are spa, restaurant, bars, wedding venues, swimming pool and garden. Rates start at USD 100.00.
- The Padma Hotel, Jl Padma No1, Legian (On the beach at the end of Jl Padma), (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Very good spot right on Legian Beach. Recent renovations at have seen it gain a modern and fresh feel after a period when it was looking very faded. In-house spa, gym and restaurant that serves very good breakfast. From US$220.
- Outrigger OCN Apartments, Jl Blue Ocean (''Jl Pantai Legian'') 88x, Legian, ☎ +62 361 737400, . A huge apartment hotel right on the beach. Offers one and 2 bedroom apartments with 4 star standard hotel facilities. From US$197.
- Ramada Resort Camakila, Jl Padma Utara, ☎ +62 361 752877 (email@example.com, fax: +62 361 752870), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12 noon. * <sleep name="Villa Naga Maya" alt="" address="Jl Werkudara, Gg Arjuna 7B, Legian" directions="" phone="+62 361 763387" url="http://www.villanagamaya.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="From $US150" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">These holiday villas have resort amenities and provide nice gardens, elegant pools and a traditional Balinese atmosphere. The swimming pool has a unique water curtain and is surrounded by lush tropical landscaping. Nestled back in the quite lanes of Legian, 400 m from Legian beach. From US$145.
- The airport is only a 20 min drive from Legian and once you are out of the often congested streets close to the beach, this area is well connected to the main road network of the island.
- Walk 10 min north along the beach and sample one of Semniyak's super chic restaurants.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!