Balaton is major lake in Hungary and the biggest lake in Central Europe.
Major cities around
- Siófok - one city competing for the title "Capital of Balaton"
- Balatonfüred - the other city competing for the title "Capital of Balaton"
- Tapolca - Nice small town, Cave Lake.
Other places of interest around
- Tihany - nice peninsula with an inner lake and church visible from most of the lake.
- Szigliget - with the ruins of a Castle on the hilltop.
- Badacsony - most famous winehill for its wine, on the northern coast, but rather touristic.
- Szent György-hegy - perfect for hiking, visit the basalt organs.
- Hévíz - Hungary's no.1 thermal spa.
- Hiking in the northern hills.
- Cross-Balaton Swim Contest.  In 2007 it will be held on 21 July, 2007 (Saturday). But can be cancelled in case of bad weather, so better check weather forecasts in advance.
- Relaxing in thermal spas.
- Sailing. There are several annual sailing races for those prefering competition.
- Swim. There are many places to go down waterslides and just take in a bit of shallow bathing, but be aware that the shallow banks of Balaton are very murky. You can scarce avoid getting silt everywhere.
Buy wine of course!!!
One kind of local food is lángos, a bread-like pastry usually sold on beaches. It is offered with different toppings like cheese, sour cream, and ham, or often plain just with garlic-sauce on top.
You can also try a special Lake Balaton fish called fogas (pike-perch), served roasted.
The hills north from Balaton are know for their wine. The best you can do is going for a wine spotting tour.