The town of Laax is in the Surselva valley of Graubunden in Switzerland.
Laax is somewhat of a sprawling place. Villages are dotted about in meadows and roads wind, hidden by pine trees, snow dumped prettily all over the place. Warm chalets give off wood smoke from their chimneys. The majestic Swiss Alps frown down upon the place. Laax is a different place altogether in the summer, the villages dotted about in white meadows change to green and the lakes fill with glacier melt. Lag da Cauma is the largest natural lake in the area. As always it is approached by a long winding track lined with pines, but at a wooden fence a spectacular view awaits. At the bottom of the bowl lies a lake, which is every shade of blue from aquamarine to navy. Glacial flour gives the lake it’s brilliant blue. A scruffy island floats in the middle whilst pedalos and rowing boats whiz around it stopping at pontoons to deposit swimmers. A little ‘rack and pinion’ railway drops hoards of bathers at lunch and hauls them back at tea. Making a stop at the café on the terrace before plunging in. It is best not to come here on a hot day, as it is busy and it does not make a difference to water temperature. It is a glacial lake for a reason.
Laax is a distinct village, which speaks mainly Romansch and German. Laax is made up of several different villages, including Laax Cons,Salums, Murschetg, Staderas, Uletsch and Vitg. Murschetg is where ski lifts run up the moutain, the main station being Crap Sogn Gion (meaning St. John's Rock, although rather comic in English). It is linked via these lifts to Flims and Falera, the three together form 'Die Alpenarena' or 'Weiße Arena', this refers to the ski resort, yet all the villages retain separate identities. Flims is more of a family place with more gentle runs fore beginners, it is more skiing orientated. Laax however is somewhat of a snowboarding mecca in Switzerland. The world's largest half-pipe is situated at the Crap Sogn Gion. Laax is much trendier than Flims or Falera, with the Riders Palace holding regular concerts. The Rocks Resort is a new development situated in Murschetg and is a member of the Design Hotels Group Laax Vitg is much more traditional, here is the Laax museum, and the older buildings.
The efficient swiss trains run from Zurich airport to the main station, from there the intercity doubledecker train to Chur brings you within 25 kilometers of Laax. From here the Post Bus  will take you all the way to Laax Dorf (Romantsch: Laax vitg) This is a great way to mix with the locals on their day to day business. From the south of the alps, Milan Malpenza is the nearest airport here pick up the train to Lugano and then take the express post bus from Bellinzona to Chur. Other routes go via the Engadine over the Albula pass or through the Vereina tunnel. This depends on whether you are travelling through Inn or Maloja regions of the Engadine.
Motorway No. 13 runs from Zurich (signposted to Chur) all the way to Tamins/Reichenau, where the Rhein splits into the Hinter and Vorder. From here take blue signs to Flims, Ilanz, Disentis on road No.19 which brings you into the resort. From the south of the alps you can approach over the San Bernadino pass in winter and Oberalp, Lukmanier and Albula passes in summer.
There is a shuttle bus that runs from Falera all the way to Fidaz ( a outer 'suburb' of Flims). This runs only in the winter and is free. Other buses run different routes, mainly connecting districts of Laax or Flims. The Post Bus also runs long some of the route, yet does not connect to Fidaz or Falera.
- The Laax Museum
- The Church with fine views across the valley
- The Lag da Laax a great place to swim in the summer
- Skiing is the major activity here. In fact alpine skiing dominates the place, skiing is the reason that its bars are full hotels full and restaurants buzzing. Across the Alpenarena there are 220km² of pistes. The Laax gemeinde (local council/government) covers the area from Plaun to the Vorab. The resorts only glacier and highest point at 3018 meters. Skiiers are generally swiss, but recently foreign tourists have discovered the place causing more english to be spoken.
- Swimming the indoor pool in Laax
- Ice-Skating on the frozen Laaxersee.Bring your own skates.
- Mountain Biking
- Swimming - There are several gorgeous if cold lakes, Laaxersee and Lag la Cauma.
- Outdoor Gear being such a sporting place it is only reasonable that there are lots of outdoors sport shops, selling everything from anoraks to skiis. Here is a list of some of the shops:
- Menzli Sport, Postplatz 7031 Laax, ☎ 081 921 57 65 (email@example.com, fax: 081 920 08 81). Mo-Fr 8.00 - 12.00 / 14.00 - 18.30 Sa 8.00 - 12.00 / 13.00 - 17.00 So 8.00 - 12.00 / 15.00 - 17.00.
- Meini Sport, RocksResort Signina Center CH-7032 Laax, ☎ 081 936 62 00 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 081 936 62 02).
- More shops coming
- On the Mountain 
- Capalari, Crap Sogn Gion (Underneath terrace), ☎ +41 (0)81 927 7334. Same as lift opening times, open 15 December-13 April. Offers delicate, tasty swiss ski food with Italian influences. Limited/good views. Service can be slow when the restaurant is busy.
- Tipi LaVacca, Plaun (Inside the Tipi (teepee)), ☎ +41 (0)81 927 7308. Same as lift opening hours open 15 December-13 April. Steak restaurant situated inside a teepee in the Plaun valley
- Tegia Larnags, Larnags. A cosy wooden interior with well lit rafters which serves gourmet ski food. Limited views
- Das Elephant, Crap Masegn, ☎ +41 (0)81 927 7390. same as lift hours open 15 December-13 April. Spectacular views and modern swiss cuisine again with italian influence . .
- Restaurant Alpenrose, Startgels, ☎ +41 (0)81 911 5848. same as lift hours, open 15 December-13 April. Solid meat-based restaurant with a traditional menu. Sunny terrace and good views .
- In the Village :
- Restaurant Romana, 7031 Via Principala, Laax Dorf, ☎ +41 (0)81 921 50 55.
- Restaurant Zieglers Riva, 7031 Laax Dorf.
- Pizzeria Saporia del Sud.
- Restaurant Waldheim, Via Runs 6, Laax Dorf, ☎ +41 (0)81 921 41 51 (fax: +41 (0)81 921 41 51).
- Pizzeria Cristallina, Via Uletsch 7031 Laax GR, ☎ +41 (0)81 921 22 52.
- Restaurant Seehof, 7031 Laax GR, ☎ +41 (0)81 921 41 21 (fax: +41 (0)81 921 56 52).
- Restaurant Straussennest, Via Salums 516, 7031 Laax GR, ☎ +41 (0)81 921 59 71 (fax: +41 (0)81 921 68 51).
- Mulania (in Hotel Signina), Laax Muschetg
- Crap Bar, 7032 Laax-Murschetg, ☎ +41 (0)81 927 99 45 (email@example.com).
- Riders Palace, Base Station CH-7032 Laax Murschetg, ☎ +41 (0)81 927 97 00.
- Hotel Capricorn.  A real Backpacking place with a genuinely helpful host.
- RocksResort, Laax Base Station.  Stylish apartments available to rent and buy
- Signinahotel, ☎ +41 81 927 9999.  Linked to the rocks resort, yet in a more traditional hotel format.
- Hotel Rancho, 7031 Laax Uletsch, ☎ +41 (0)81 927 18 00 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +41 (0)81 927 18 99). 
- There is the rest of the Surselva to explore aswell as Graubunden. South of the Alps can be reached by the Lukmanier pass, or the near by San Bernadino.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!