La Merced is a town in Southern Sierra, it is the capital of the Chanchamayo Province in the Junín Region, Peru.
La Merced is 750 meters above sea level between the towns of Tarma and Pichanaki.
Buses from Huancayo take about 4 hours and leave from the multi-company terminal on Av. Ferrocarril.
The town center is very walkable.
Mototaxis to most locations are 1 sole per person during the day, a bit more at night.
La Merced is reasonably close to the waterfalls Catarata de Bayoz and Velo de la Novia, see the Pichanaki page for details.
- Banos Termales de Uchubamba, (Take the road towards Uchubamba). Thermal Pools.
- Catarata Sanchirio, (Take the road towards Oxapampa. Near San Luis de Shuaro). Waterfall
- Catarata del Tirol, (17km from La Merced. About 5km up a dirt road immediately after Puente San Ramon on the right hand side when travelling from Tarma to La Merced. 11° 08' 15 S 75° 19' 53 W). You need to walk for about 15 minutes up a gorge to reach the waterfall, its a fairly easy walk up a well made path. Adults S/.1.00. (-11.1375,-75.3314)
- Catarata Tunquimayo, (Near Vitoc. Take the road towards Uchubamba). Waterfall.
- Ducha del Diablo, (11° 10' 21 S 75° 27' 06 W). (-11.1725,-75.4517)
- Puente Colgante Kimiri. Suspension bridge made in 1901
- Santuario Nacional Pampa Hermosa. Tropical/subtropical jungle, waterfalls, Yungas.
A variety of tours have hawkers in the central plaza in the morning until about 10:00. Most of the companies offer the same options.
- Perene Tour - this jungle overview tour is appropriate for all ages and abilities. It includes 2 waterfalls (you can swim at the bottom), a "native village", a coffee processor, a boat ride, and a stop for lunch. It runs about s/35 (about $15 US).
- Indiana Jones Tour - not the real name, but they will know what you are talking about. This trip takes you up a creek bed with several waterfalls that you climb with a rope through the water. At times you scale wet slippery rocks without a rope. Good physical condition is highly recommended (not by them, but by me!) Some groups also have 2 guides to help you up the waterfalls. If you're nervous you may want to ask around for a 2-guide tour. s/25 (about $10 US) per person.
- Discoteca Kametsa Cafe Rock - A nightclub on the outskirts of town that is hopping on Saturday nights with a fun and friendly crowd. Plays a heavily Latin mix.
Coffee and cocoa are grown locally not to mention lots of fruit. Art and craft made by the Ashaninkas make good souvenirs also.
Casa de Allen has good burgers in 3 sizes, plus flaming crepes with ice cream. A bit out of town, but near the discoteca, so it's perfect for a dinner and dancing combo night.
- Hostal Prince, 153 Jr. Arequipa, La Merced, ☎ +51 (064) 332063 (email@example.com), . Nice, clean rooms Doble S/.40.00 (that's a room with two single beds).
- Municipalidad Provincial de Chanchamayo, .