Kurseong is a town in Darjeeling district in the northern part of West Bengal, India.
Kurseong is about 45 kilometers from Siliguri the gateway to North Bengal. The airport of Siliguri is known as Bagdogra while the railway station is known as New Jalpaiguri. It takes approximately 2 hours to reach Kurseong if you travel by Hill Cart Road, the comfortable and scenic link running parallel to the railway tracks or about one hour using the Old Army Road (Pankhabari Road), which is steeper.
Kurseong is home to the costliest teas in the world. World famous Castleton, Ambotia and Makaibari tea gardens produce the most delicate aromas of all black teas known to mankind.
You just relax or move around the town, tea gardens or the parks. Enjoy the cool mountain breeze. The town is small, clean and relatively uncrowded.
- You can walk to Eagle's Crag (Durpin Dhara) or trek (or take a taxi) to Deer's Park. Eagles Crag provides panoramic view of Kurseong Town and the plains of Siliguri. You can view Himalayan peaks with their golden glow for sunrise.
- Trek to Balason river but take local advice for that.
- You can also visit St Mary's Hill and visit the groto church.
- Forestry museum.
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Museum at Kurseong railway station.
- Museum of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on giddha pahar.
- Heritage churches such as St Andrew's church, St Paul's.
- Makaibari Tea Estate, (4km along Pankhabari Rd south west of town, 1km below Cochrane Place), ☎ +919733004577, . Traditional tea estate which offers insight in its history, the art of tea processing, and its pioneering work in biodynamic practices (now demeter certified). You can meet the workers up-close wandering the fields between the 7 villages making up the estate. (26.859749,88.260908)
One can buy beautiful tea from the Tea Estates' outlets or from shops available in plenty. Warm cloth (woolen garments, jackets) can be purchased from shops located on Tenzing Norgay (T.N.)/Hill Cart Road.
You can eat Momos, the Tibetan version of dumplings.
you can try local drinks such as "chaang" prepared from fermented millets,and tonba another local fermented drink.
- Cochrane Place, 132 Pankhabari Rd, ☎ +91 354 2330703, .
- Tourist Lodge (Government owned), Hill Cart Rd (bit out of the center direction of Darjeeling). The charm of the 1970s combined with the noise of Hill Cart Rd. Ok-ish for the region but overpriced given what is offered. standard 1200Rs, large room 1500Rs + 12.42% service charge and tax.
- Pradhan, Hill Cart Rd (Near train station, next to gas station). Basic but clean rooms, some with balcony and a great view. WiFi via a neighboring shop. d 950Rs (negotiable).
Continue with your journey to Darjeeling (about 35 kilometers), to Sikkim or Kalimpong. To catch a train or flight, you have to go to Siliguri. Reserve cars are available from Siliguri, Kings Travels, dial-098304-28401/ 093319-39486.