Kuala Terengganu is the state capital of Terengganu, on the east coast of peninsular Malaysia.
Kuala Terengganu's Sultan Mahmud Airport (TGG) has around half a dozen flights per day to Kuala Lumpur (1 hour) on Malaysia Airlines  and AirAsia . Fares to Kuala Terengganu varies with Malaysia Airlines, offering as low as RM136 (full service) and AirAsia with as low as RM60. Firefly  links Kuala Terengganu directly with Subang Airport in Kuala Lumpur.
The long distance bus station has buses to all main Malaysian cities outside Terengganu : Kuala Lumpur (7 hours), Penang (7-8 hours), Johor Bahru (9 hours), Kota Bharu (3 hours), Malacca, Kuantan.
Transnasional  also runs buses direct to Singapore (10 hours, S$36/15.10 to/from Singapore).
The local bus station has buses to most places in town and in Terengganu : Merang (for Redang), Kuala Besut (for the Perhentians), Dungun, etc.
In season (March-October), there are two ferries a day from the central Shahbandar Jetty direct to Redang Island (75 min). These are operated by and intended primarily for guests of the Berjaya Redang Resort, but they'll take non-guests on board (for a price) if there's space.
Most travellers to Redang, however, will go via the main jetty at Merang, 45 min north of town.
- The market jetty has ferries to Seberang Takir (70c) and Pulau Duyung (70c).
- The Seri Malaysia jetty has a ferry to Pulau Duyung (1RM).
- Terengganu State Museum. Where you can see local folks in a very nice building and can have a walk in a park where there are local boats.
- Pulau Duyung, in the middle of the estuary, has some interesting shipyards and an old wooden mansion (kota lama). This is also a fishing village.
- Seberang Takir, across from the market jetty, has some interesting cottage industries ranging from keropok lekor to batik.
- Go to the Pasar Besar (Big Bazaar) and the covered open-air market across the street and buy some delicious fresh fruits or whatever else your heart desires.
Kuala Terengganu Jetty - Seberang Takir Jetty: About 15 minutes cost 80 cent per trip, frequency: every 10- 15 minutes
- Silk or cotton batik sarongs.
- Keropok lekor, a kind of fish sausage served with chili sauce, is a must-try.
- Many traditionally prepared Malay cakes (kuih) are sold in Kuala Terengganu - among other places, in the Pasar.
- Laksa Terengganu.
- Nasi Dagang.
- Pulut Lepa.
You can find locally popular fruit juice in a big mug known as "air buah gelas besar". Many choices of fresh fruit juice are available. You can find it in Seberang Takir (about 5 km from KT on the road heading to Kuala Terengganu airport). It operates from ~ 5 p.m. to midnight.
You can also buy a variety of different fresh fruit juices, coconut water, etc. from vendors outside the Pasar Besar in Kuala Terengganu.
There are reportedly no more than 10 bars in town. Kris n Cheng, near the waterfront, has pleasant owners and is good for darts, drinks, and light singing.
In Kuala Terengganu, you will find all types of hotels from top range to small Chinese basic places.
- Felda Residence Kuala Terengganu  offers guests luxurious accommodations with a resort ambience. 101 rooms furnished with cable television and WiFi access are available. Personal butler and limousine service also available. Address: Jalan Hiliran, 21400 Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu darul Iman, Malaysia. Telephone No.: 609-632-1111. Fax: 609-632-1122.
- In Pulau Duyung: Awi Yellow House (or "Rumah kuning"). Visitors stay in a wooden bungalow on the river (stilt house) and have a shared kitchen. The place is very quiet, friendly and you live with flowers, boats, etc. There is a night market near the bridge every Friday.
- Ri-Yaz Heritage Resort & Spa, Pulau Duyung, ☎ 609-627-7888, . checkin: 1500; checkout: 1200. A beautiful resort style hotel. Chalet Rooms and Suites RM 288++.
- Hotel PT, 3 Jalan Jail. 30 minutes from the bus station. Currently open but under renovations (August 2010). 30 RM for a fan room with shared bathroom. Dorms available. It seems like a perfect backpacker place, but there are no backpackers here! 20-80? RM.
- Sumai Suite Hotel, Lot 4479 Jalan Persinggahan, ☎ 09-631 0099, . All rooms furnished with air-conditioner, cable TV, mini-bar and refrigerator, and coffee/tea maker. Some of their amenities include an outdoor swimming pool, high-speed Internet access, and airport transfer. Rates on official website start at MYR 320.00.
- Primula Beach Hotel, Jalan Persinggahan, ☎ +609 622 2100, . Although fronting the South China Sea, this hotel is not far from the center of town. All rooms have air-conditioner, cable TV, and refrigerator/mini-bar. Some of the hotel's amenities are swimming pool, spa and massage centre, and high-speed Internet access. Rates start at MYR 210.00.
- Redang Island - one of the most beautiful islands in Malaysia and a scuba diver's paradise