Minedumps from the gold industry is still a common sight around Krugersdorp
Krugersdop is a town in South Africa's Gauteng province, located to the west of Johannesburg.
Krugersdorp was the hometown of engineer George Pratley who invented Pratley Putty in 1948. Pratley Putty was used by NASA in 1969 on Apollo XI's Eagle landing craft and is the only South Africa product ever to go to the moon.
- From Pretoria follow the N14 west until it joins the R28 (Paardekraal Drive), then follow Paardekraal into Krugersdorp
- From Johannesburg, take the M47/Gordon Road (exit 78/Roodepoort) turnoff from the N1, follow Gordon Road for 1km until it crosses Ontdekkers Road, turn right into Onttdekkers and follow it until it changes name to Voortrekker Road. Follow Voortrekker Road into Krugersdorp.
Springbok in the Krugersdorp Game Reserve
- Krugersdorp Game Reserve, Rustenburg Road (R24), ☎ +27 (0)11 950-9900. Main gate is open from 8AM to 6PM, Lion camp and Aviary is open 8AM to 5PM. A 1400 hectare reserve with hippo, rhino, giraffe, a number of species of buck, wildebeest, giraffe, zebra, ostrich, lions and a bird aviary. Lion feeding at 10AM every Sunday. A caravan park and lodge is located within the park. R40 per adult, R20 per child for day visitors.
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 (0)11 957-0106 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 8AM-3:45PM. Offers game drive, horse trails, an observatory, abseiling, swimming pool and braai and picnic areas. Wide range of animals. R70.
- Ngonyama Caravan Park, Krugersdorp Game Reserve (On the R24 just west of town), ☎ +27 (0)11 950-9900 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)11 665-1735), . 50 caravan and tent sites. Convenience store, take aways, pool, laundry and 5 star ablution block.
- Ngonyama Lion Lodge, Krugersdorp Game Reserve (On the R24 just west of town), ☎ +27 (0)11 950-9900 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)11 665-1735), . Bed&Breakfast as well as self catering chalets within the Game Reserve
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 (0)11 957-0106 (email@example.com), . R640 per chalet.
- Samia Guesthouse & Functions (Ingrid Schneider), 276 Voortrekker Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 954-0005. checkin: 12AM; checkout: 10AM. Guesthouse, with 7 double rooms en suite, full breakfast included. R499.00p/n.
- Big Creek Guest Lodge, R24 Rustenburg Rd (13km from Magaliesburg towrads Rustenburg), ☎ +27 (0)14 5770042, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. The Lodge has a 3 star rating by the Tourism Grading Council of SA. With beautifully appointed double and family on suite self-catering units. These units lead off a large court yard with unique fire place. A self-catering two sleeper fisher-mans Log Cabin and the luxury Seringa Berry Log Cabin for the more romantic weekend break. The courtyard can also be a convenient get together area if the lodge is booked as a block booking for extended family weekends, birthday parties etc. The venue also offers facilities for conferences and smaller weddings, set in lush gardens with the Magaliesberg mountains in the backround. FACILITIES & ACTIVITIES: A rustic furnished lounge with DSTV is available to those that enjoy their news and sport. Games room with a full size Snooker table, dart board and bar are for residents only. Conference and function area seating 100 guests with own Bar, Boma and ablutions. A pool set in a lovely garden with rolling lawns over looking a small dam is the perfect place to unwind. The above facilities are ideal for Team building events, conferencing and weddings. Please contact Arno for more details. firstname.lastname@example.org R300.