| || |
There is a one big and wide sand beach at [[Smiltynė]], full of locals and tourists in the summer. Smiltynė beach is a part of
GIVORGAS world heritage list. |+|
There is a one big and wide sand beach at [[Smiltynė]], full of locals and tourists in the summer. Smiltynė beach is a part of world heritage list.
[[Giruliai]] and [[Melnragė]] beaches are at Northern Klaipėda, big and popular place to visit. The
waTB2ter is clean and warm (in summer). |+|
[[Giruliai]] and [[Melnragė]] beaches are at Northern Klaipėda, big and popular place to visit. The is clean and warm (in summer).
| || |
Try also [[Palanga]] further north. [http://www.palangatic.lt/en.php]
Try also [[Palanga]] further north. [http://www.palangatic.lt/en.php]
|−|If you cant go north, go south.. Have ocean snow for breakfast | |
| || |
Revision as of 15:00, 15 July 2013
Klaipeda   is Lithuania's third largest city, located in the north-western corner of the country. Originally founded by Baltic tribes, the city and castle was built by the Teutonic Order in 1252 and named Memel in honor of the river of the same name some 40km to the south. For most of its history, Memel was part of Prussia and large battles with Lithuanian lords took place here. Invasions came from Sweden and Russia and the city was part of the Prussian Kingdom and became a prosperous harbor town. It represented the northernmost city in Germany and Prussia until 1918. After Germany lost the First World War, Memelland was first given free city status and then subsequently annexed to the newly established Republic of Lithuania. It was briefly reabsorbed by Nazi Germany before WWII and then reverted back to Lithuania (the Soviet Union) in 1945. Since Lithuanian independence in 1990, Klaipeda has become one of Lithuania's most buoyant cities with a steadily growing tourist trade.
It is the gateway to the Curonian Spit, a stretch of sand dunes 99 km in length from 400 meter to 4 km, in breadth that arcs down to the Kaliningrad region of Russia.
Bus trip per person - 2.00 Lt (from kiosk), 2.40 Lt (from bus driver) (€0,58-0.71).
Minibus trip per person - 2.50 Lt (day time), 3.40 Lt (night time) (€0,74-1.00).
Taxi trip per 1 km - 1.30 Lt (€0,29).
More information on Klaipeda passenger transport  and .
Sailing boat "Meridianas"
Klaipėda is known for its main icons: sculpture Annchen von Tarau, located in theater square, old sailing ship Meridianas (there wes a restaurant inside) and fachwrk architecture in the Old Town.
Klaipėda is also known for plenty of sculptures that they have. Lots of small sculptures sculptures like: mouse, guard dog, dragon, chimney sweep, post pigeons, black ghost, foot prints and others) hiding in the old town. Despite that, in Klaipėda you will find Lithuanian modern sculpture park (next to bus station) with 116 various stone sculptures.
There aren't many museums in Klaipėda:
- Lithuanian Sea Museum and Delphinium. Smiltynės st. 3. .
- The Castle Museum. Pilies st. 4. .
- The Blacksmith's Museum. Šaltkalvių st. 2. .
- The History Museum of Lithuania Minor. Didžioji Vandens st. 6. .
- Clock Museum. Liepų st. 12. .
- P. Domšaitis' Gallery. Liepų st. 33.
Klaipeda's old town is small but interesting. Theater square has a balcony where Adolph Hitler addressed a crowd. Legend has it, that Hitler was annoyed because the statue depicting "Anikė" of the Lithuanian folk tale was not facing him, so he had the statue removed. A replica is now in its original place.
If you like nature - you must visit Curonian spit, which is a 10 minute boat ride from the Old ferry terminal (New ferry terminal for vehicles). In summer time the ferries are running each 30 minutes, starting from 6 A.M., till midnight. In other side ([Smiltynė]]) you can visit Sea museum, ethnographic fisherman farmstead, take a walk on the pier, see the white sanded beaches or just take bus to Juodkrantė or Nida towns (they are located 18 and 50 km from Smiltyne to south). Renting a bicycle and cycling to Juodkrantė is a nice day trip. The forest is magnificent.
There is a one big and wide sand beach at Smiltynė, full of locals and tourists in the summer. Smiltynė beach is a part of UNESCO world heritage list.
Giruliai and Melnragė beaches are at Northern Klaipėda, big and popular place to visit. The water is clean and warm (in summer).
Try also Palanga further north. 
Klaipėda is a unique city - here you will not find shopping street or Old town overcrowded with various stores. Ofcource you will find some stores in the center but, most of them are located in big shopping malls such as: "Akropolis", "BIG", "BIG-2", "Herkaus Galerija", "Mega Plaza", "Studlentas", "Banginis", "Arena", so it is quite simple to go shopping, because, most of the shops are under one roof.
The biggest shopping mall is called Akropolis  and it is one of the biggest shopping malls in the Baltics. Akropolis attractions include cinema, skating rink, restaurants, shops, supermarket, gym, pizzerias and so on.
There is a decent selection of Lithuanian and Western restaurants, most of which are located around the city's main thoroughfare, Herkaus Manto street, and its continuation into the Old Town, Tiltų street. Main course prices range from €4 at the lower end up to around €20 at the higher end.
If you are looking for non-expensive lunch you can go to any restaurant/bar and get the day lunch, from "day lunch" menu. The time when you can eat day lunch is between 11:30 to 14:00. It consists from one soup "day soup" and 2 to 4 main dishes to choose from. Approximate price is from 9 to 14 Lt (€3-4).
If you are looking for snacks, you will find small bakeries in city center and the Old town.
There are also few popular bistros: "Friedricho bistro" at Herkaus Manto street, and not far from it there is Mažvydo alley "Alėja".
Klaipėda city is famous for it's mysterious cheese fingers - you can't leave the city without trying this. These you can get in the bar "Senamiestis", located in Bažnyčių street 4. Many bars tried to copy famous cheese fingers but did not succeed.
In Klaipėda city center and old town is not so easy to get fast food. Here most common fast food is "Kebab", but still in the city center it isn't easy to find where you can get one. Klaipėda has only one McDonald's restaurant (located next to the "Akropolis" mall, about 3 km from center).
For dinner you should try to visit these places:
- Friedrich passage. Tiltų st. 26A. Here you can find wide variety of different food facilities in one place (Lithuanian dishes restaurant, pizzeria, tea/coffee house, bakery, winery, Mediterranean sea restaurant, stake house) .
- La Cle restaurant is one of the most popular with very dedicated chefs. Mostly it is booked ahead, but it is possible to get in without table reservation. 
- Fat Cat pub. Average price for a full business class dinner €9,00. Žvejų st. 21/Teatro st. 1.
- Restaurant "Stora Antis" was built in 1856 on the burnt foundation after the Great Fire in Memel in 1854. Restaurant is an architectural monument and is guarded by the state. It's a small restaurant in the very center of an old town, on Tiltų street, 6. It slightly reminds of a shop of antiques, a little bit of museum, and also of a club for variety stars, politicians and businessmen. But the most important is qualitative Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Balkan and Byelorussia cuisine .
- Senoji Hansa restaurant in Teatro street 3 is located in the very center of the Klaipėda Old Town, next to the Theater square.
The local brewery is Švyturys (transl. Lighthouse) . The "Š" is actually a "sch" - sound and the "y" is pronounced as a long "i". This brewery produces many types of "Švyturys" brand beers, that you can find in almost any pub, bar or restaurant.
Wineries here are also popular. Just walking you can easily find a small and cozy winery with huge variety of wines.
In old town you can find cocktail bars-panorama bars in hotel "Amberton" operating bars: "12th floor", "Viva La Vita".
Old town is flooded by many pubs allocated all over. "Herkus Kantas" is a fine pub to try great taste of beers and each day new snacks (not like in the most pubs here) you can get for reasonable price.
"Senamiestis" in translation means "old town" and it is short for "Klaipėdos senamiestis" (Klaipeda old town). In this particular pub you can try one recipe, that only this pub can offer - so called "senamiesčio piršteliai" (transl. old town fingers). It's a originally cheese (can be chosen chicken as well) fried in dough. It is a tasty snack recommended with glass of local beer.
There is a great down-to-earth but arty bar with cool music/decor/staff called "Balta Varna"  on Sukilėlių g. 18 near to Teatro square. As well you can find plenty of small and cozy pubs in the Old town.
Most of the pubs are located in the city center and also in the southern part of the city. In the city center there is old warehouse Memelis (now it is renovated and working as bar/club), there is a brewery inside and you can taste beer that's produced in the same building.
Average price for a pint of beer in city center for pub 6-10 Lt (around €2-3).
Popular clubs include:
- Kurpiai (Jazz club) Kurpių st. 1A. .
- Dr. Who (Dance, disco, funk music) Naujojo Sodo st. 1. .
- Factory (Club music) J. Janonio. 27.
- Martini Taikos av. 64. .
- Relax Turgaus st. 1 .
- Roxy Priestočio st. 9.
- Pajūrio kempingas (transl. Seaside camping)  In this camping place you can stay in a tent, camper, camping wagon or indoors (bungalows are being constructed and going to operational from 2013 spring only). They offer stay in one hostel like room with five beds for reasonable price - 50 Lt/person.
- Klaipėda hostel, Butkų Juzės street 7, . It is pretty small but cozy hostel. 35 - 45 Lt. per night depending on season. Discounts with IYHF card.
- Hostel KUBU is located in Herkus Mantas street 37A, next to Lietuvininkų square. Small, new (opened in 2012) in the city center hostel. Prices are from 30 Lt up to 50 Lt per person (depending on the room).
- Amberton 4****  The biggest hotel in the city with the most rooms, all thought they have rooms in old part of the building and new part of the building. In the new part of the hotel building rooms are way more nicer and comfortable, and are a bit more expensive. On the ground floor of hotel there is gym with swimming pool, casino, they have 2 restaurants and 2 bars/cafes. There are two sky-bars at 12th and 20th floor.
- Ararat 4****  Apartment type rooms with maximum comfort.
- Aribe 3*** 
- Euterpe 4**** 
- National 4**** 
- LITiNTERP Klaipeda guest house, Puodziu street 17, ☎ (37046) 410644, . checkin: from 14:00; checkout: 11:00. Located on historical, cobbled Puodziu Street right in the heart of the town centre. In 2004 the house as renovated and converted into a cosy guest house with 2 apartments, 9 double, 5 triple and 3 single rooms. Rooms are spacious, carpeted and comfortably furnished. Some of the brick walls have been left unplastered in order to give an authentic reminder of the house's history. Every room has a private en-suite bathroom and only 4 rooms share bathrooms. In that case only two rooms sharing one bathroom. Guests have their own keys and are free to come and go at any time. All rooms are non-smoking. Car parking in the courtyard is available. Breakfast included. Free WiFI. singles 70-100 LTL, doubles 120-160 LTL, triples from 180 LTL.. (LTL,)
- Lūgnė 3***  not the most comfort place in the city, but has cheap prices for rooms.
- Memel hotel 3***  Bangų g. 4 (opened in 2012 spring).
- Morena 3***  located near to the shore of Baltic Sea (about 4 km from city center).
- Navalis 4**** 
- Old Port hotel 3*** 
- Old Mill hotel 3*** 
- Promenada 3***  hotel is located just 2-3 minutes walk from the bus and train stations.
- Radisson BLU 4****  is known for it's outstanding service and facilities. Hotel is located in the center of the city, 5 minutes walk to the bus and train stations.
- Reval Inn 3***  "Green key" policy hotel that accepts pets.
- Vecekrug 4**** 
- Vėtra 3***  Vėtra is a small, but very cosy and warm 3 star hotel in Klaipeda in the neatly trimmed surroundings in the quiet southern part of the city, far from noisy streets. In the two-storied brick building there are 17 spacious bright rooms which were renovated and furnished with natural dark wood furniture in baroque. Each of the 17 rooms with exclusive interior will dispose you to calm rest.
Klaipeda is a safe place but like anywhere you have to use common sense. Try and walk with a confident air and never look lost.
From Klaipėda there is an easy way to the most famous unspoiled nature resort Curonian Spit with the most famous old fisherman towns Nida and Juodkrantė. On the peninsula you can find amazing sand dunes (highest dune is in Nida), amazing white sanded beaches. Lithuanian (52 km long) and Russian (48 km long) side of Curonian Spit is a part of UNESCO world heritage list.
The lovely seaside resort Palanga is on the way back to past glory. It is busy with tourists from June to September. During the high season Palanga is being called summer capital of Lithuania.