Khajuraho is a small town located in the Bundelkhand region (Chhatarpur District) of Madhya Pradesh and is famous for groups of Hindu and Jain temples. These temples are a UNESCO World Heritage Site for their beautiful and erotic rock carvings.
Khajuraho has the Vindhya range of mountains as its beautiful backdrop. This makes Khajuraho a more fascinating destination to visit.
Khajuraho's art is a manifestation of the essence of the philosophy of Indian aesthetics. The erotic sculptures of Khajuraho depicting Kama Sutra are unique in the world.
These sculptures representing the Indo-Aryan architecture, congeal in stone a lyrical paean to love and passion and reflect the Chandela dynasty's passion and immense appreciation for the forbidden art, paradoxically, in the land of Kama Sutra. They cannot be passed off as just erotic sculptures, the temples have some of the most revered Gods of Hinduism.
The temples of Khajuraho were built between 950 to 1050 A.D. during the Chandela dynasty of Central India (These rulers claimed descent from the moon, hence the name Chand-ela). After the decline of the Chandela dynasty in 13th century, the temples were left under the cover of dense date palm trees for many years, which gave the city of Khajuraho its name, Khajur in Hindi means a date. In the ancient times it was known as Vatsa.
In 1838, a British army engineer, Captain T.S. Burt rediscovered them. By that time only 22 of the original 85 temples had survived.
Khajuraho's climate is quite extreme, with wide variation in day and night temperatures along with minimal rainfall. Summers are hot at 45°C and winters pleasant at 27°C. Rainfall of
114 cms annually. As summer is too hot, winter is a good time to visit. A good time to visit is March, when the annual Dance Festival takes place. So the best time to visit Khajuraho is from September to March.
Hindi is spoken widely, English should not be a problem for the tourists. Dutch, French are also spoken by the guides and at the restaurants/hotels.
Khajuraho Airport (IATA: HJR) Tel:+91 7686 740-415 is located 5 km from the city, and is served by Air India (fomerly Indian Airlines)  offering flights from Delhi, Varanasi and Mumbai, Jet Airways  offering flights from Delhi and Varanasi and Kingfisher offering flights from Varanasi. If one is not prepared for a 5-6 hours bumpy ride from Jhansi to Khajuraho, then the plane is the best mode.
A train station was finally opened in Khajuraho in 2008, linking it to Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh) (175km) on the Delhi-Chennai/Bangalore/ Trivandrum mainline. NOTE: You can not buy train tickets at the Khajuraho train station! You must go to the BUS station, about 1km walk out of town, to buy train tickets (much cheaper than buying tickets through your hotel).
Train tickets can also be booked online at  or  with credit cards/ Debit cards or Indian bank account.
There are direct trains from New Delhi Station (Hazarat Nizamuddin Railway Station),Agra and Varanasi. Train departs from Delhi everyday except Wednesday at 20:15 and reaches 06:15 next morning at Khajuraho Railway Station.
Khajuraho Nizamuddin Express (Train number 22447) runs from Delhi Hazarat Nizamuddin to Khajuraho 6 days a week except Wednesday. If you have to go back towards New Delhi from Khajuraho then try to book this train's tickets as its very convenient to go from khajuraho by train than by bus. It departs from khajuraho (train no 22447) at 18.20 and reaches Delhi at 05.30 in the morning. For coming to khajuraho the train(train no 22447)departs from H. Nizamuddin at 20.15 hrs and reaches Khajuraho next day morning at 06.35 hrs.
The other options to reach Khajuraho is through Jhansi. It takes around 6 hours to reach Jhansi from Delhi by train, and another 3-4 hours (plus connecting time) to go to Khajuraho. Get the Dakshin Express from Delhi (22:50 hrs) and reach Jhansi by 05:00 hrs, connecting to the Jhansi-Khajuraho Link Passenger(Train No:51821) which now runs along with Jhansi-Allahabad Passenger(Train No:51821) starts from Jhansi at 7:10AM and reaches Khajuraho at 12:05PM. Another option is the Bhopal Shatabdi train from delhi (6.00) to Jhansi.Train from Khajuraho to Jhansi departs from Khajuraho at 12:25PM and will reach Jansi by 5.30PM. Both the trains have stoppage at Orcha.
An alternative station is Satna (Madhya Pradesh) (117km) on the Allahabad-Mumbai main line.
Another option is Mahoba station on the Varanasi- Jhansi Route.Alight at Mahoba and catch the 11:00AM Passenger(Train No:229A) to Khajuraho.
Satna and Jhansi both are connected to Khajuraho by regular bus service. It takes around 3 hours to reach Khajuraho from Satna or Jhansi by taxi, and 5-6 hours by bus. There are daily bus services with Satna, Jhansi, Harpalpur, Chhatarpur, Mahoba, Sagar,Jabalpur, Bhopal, Indore, Gwalior, Panna, Agra, Allahabad and Varanasi.
From Jhansi railway station catch a rickshaw to Jhansi bus station which is 5Kms away.
It is very difficult to get a bus to Khajuraho from Jhansi after 5PM. So try to reach Jhansi by afternoon if you want to catch a bus to Khajuraho from Jhansi.
Khajuraho to Bandhavgarh (225km, 5hrs), Satna (117km, 4hrs), Harpalpur (94km), Jhansi (172km)and Mahoba (61km). Khajuraho is located 600km (11hrs journey) south-east of Delhi. There are bus services from Agra (12 hrs), Gwalior (9hrs) and Jhansi.
Taxis are recommended because the condition of buses and roads are not good, and the ride is gruelling.
Om Shanti Tours Khajuraho The Cheapest Way for Taxi Mobile no. - 09993274701
A good way to get around and see the temples as well the village life in Kharujaho is by bicycle, which you can easily rent in the bike shops near the main temple complex, or bicycle rickshaw. They charge Rs.20 per day.
Beware of the fake school teachers, principals and students who are too much interested in your dollars as donation, which hardly goes to the school itself.
There are many car rental companies available.
In every temple, there is the depiction of royalty, armies, wrestling, kinship, war, courtship, marriage, lovemaking, music and dancing, spiritual teachings, union, meditation, bliss, gods, goddesses, plants, animals and an abundance of all human forms.
Effective 1 August 2011, the Archaeological Survey of India introduced an official self guided audio tour facility of international standards for visitors. The tour allows visitors to experience the Khajuraho Group of Monuments at their own pace, with authentic and factually accurate information. Visitors may avail of the audio guide facility from the official audio guide booth near the monument ticket counter. Prices for audio guide services are Rs. 100 (+ taxes) in English & Foreign Languages or Rs. 60 in Hindi & Indian Languages
Western Group of Temples
There is a entry fee of Rs. 10/- (for Indians) and USD $ 5 (for foreigners) to enter the Western Group of temples. (If you have a ticket from Taj Mahal, you can use it here again.) All the temples are open from sunrise to sunset.
These are the richest and largest of all temple groups
- Lakhmana Temple - The oldest and finest of the western group of temples, named after the ruler that built the temple. The A horizontal beam over the entrance of this beautiful Vaishnavite temple shows the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva with Lakshmi, Vishnus consort.
- Kandariya Mahadeo Temple - This temple is decorated with a profusion of sculptures that are among the greatest masterpieces of Indian art.
- Devi Jagdamba Temple - Dedicated to the Goddess(devi), this is smaller and much more delicately proportioned temple and is home to some of the finest sculptures of Khajuraho.The garbha griha has a huge image of the Devi of the Universe (Jagdambi), though it appears to have started as a Vishnu temple. It has the usual three bands of sculptures, but the third and most uppermost of these houses some of the most erotic sculptures.
- Chaunsat Yogini - The only granite temple in the Khajuraho group
- Chitragupta Temple - is dedicated to the Sun God (Surya), it faces eastward to the rising sun
- Matanageswara Temple - A temple dedicated to Shiva, a huge 8ft Lingam adorns the temple.
Eastern Group of Temples
- Parsvanath Temple - Largest among the group, with exquisite carvings in detail. The sculptures on the northern outer wall are the highlights of this temple. The image was installed in 1860.
- Ghantai Temple - This Jain temple has a frieze which depicts the 16 dreams of Mahavira's mother, and a jain goddess on a winged Garuda.
- Adinath Temple - Dedicated to Jain Tirthankar(God), adinath, the temple is lavishly embellished with sculpted figures, including yakshis.
- Hanuman Temple
- Brahma Temple - considered to be one of the oldest temples of Khajuraho made entirely in granite and sandstone, is dedicated to Vishnu.
- Vamana Temple - is the dwarf form of Lord Vishnu, located in a secluded place and is known for its simple architecture.
- Javari Temple
Southern Group of Temples
- Dulhadev Temple - The last temple of Khajuraho, lies to the south of Ghantai temple. The temple enshrines a Shivalingam. The apsara and ornamented figures are the temple's most striking features.
- Beejamandal Temple - It is a ruined temple, and is near the Chattarbhuj Temple
- Chattarbhuj Temple Or The Jatkari Temple - Built in 1100 A.D., is well-known for its architecture, and is also the only temple to be devoid of any erotic sculpture. 3 km away from the Eastern Group. Facing West, have to take 10 steps to reach the sanctum. The massive 9 feet intricately carved Vishnu idol in Chaturbhuja (four-armed).
Light and Sound Show at Western group of temples - After visiting the temple complex is over, the sound and light show, narrated by the Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachhan, is held every evening.
Entry ticket Rs. 120/- for Indians and Rs. 300/- for foreigners.
At Arhanta Yoga Ashram ,Classical Hatha Yoga classes can be followed in a traditional ashram lifestyle.
Some star hotels like Jas Raddison and Chandela offer use of their swimmining pool for Rs 300 onwards, which is a popular activity during summers.
The Annual Dance Festival of Khajuraho happens from 1st Feb to 7th Feb. The same date goes for 2012 year also.
- Iron, brass and stone sculptures depicting Kama Sutra poses are a specialty of Khajuraho and are available at the handicraft stores in the town.
- Crafts Emporium  govt. authorized shop,deals in gold and silver ornaments, sand stone statues, and various other local handicraft which is located at Hotel Gem Palace ,Jain Temple Road.
- Market - A weekly bazaar is held at Rajinagar (5km from Khajuraho) on Tuesdays. The market is a good place to pick up silver and brass ware.
Madhya Pradesh cuisine. The area offers a good opportunity to try some local MP delicacies. The region is famous for its desserts, which are mainly sweet though there is also a spicy variety called namkeen. Popular deserts are cashew burfi, jalebi, lavang lata, kusli, khurma, moong dal ka halwa (a pudding made from green lentils), sabudana ki khichadi and shikanji.
- The Green view Restaurant. A very colorful and nice restaurant, red and green colour. The cook is one of the best in town, he will prepare you the most tastefully meal as the waiter will serve it with a smile. Most welcome to have breakfast,lunch and/or dinner. In front of the western groups of temples.
- Paradise Restaurant. A small, but cozy restaurant offering delicious, and inexpensive meals. It is also very clean establishment with helpful and friendly staff. Try the breakfast specialty of mango pancakes.
- Blue Sky restaurant. A rooftop dining area offering views over the Western group of temples - excellent Indian cuisine.
- Siddhartha Hotel Restaurant, Located across from the Western group of temples.
- La Dolce Vita, Jain Temples Road, Town center. An Italian-theme restaurant, rooftop dining and good, hearty breakfasts.
- La Terraza Off Main Square, the western group of temples
- Mediterranean Restaurant - a Greek delicacy café, Rooftop café serving western food and snacks.
- Apsara Radisson Jass - Eclectic Cuisine Tel: (+91)-(07686)-272 344
- Raja Cafe, opposite the Western termple group and next to the main square. Popular restaurant from two swiss sisters. Good swiss food and breakfast for Rs.70.
- Madras Coffee House Off Main Square, located across from Western group of temples. A restaurant specializing in Southern Indian cuisine
- Punjab Restaurant. located across from the Western group of temples.
- Agrawal Veg Restaurant. located beside Hotel Gem Palace on the Jain Temple road near the Western group of temples. It offers great quality vegetarian food, specially alu tamatar and boondi raita. Specially Jain cuisines are a delight there and the waiters are very friendly.
- Shivam restaurant, jain temple road (150 mtr from western group of temples), ☎ 9200271589. 0800hrs to 2300hrs. Pure Vegetarian Food Only 50Rs per thali.
Madhya Pradesh Tourism Board Hotels
- Hotel Jhankar Ph: (+91)-(07686) 274 063, 274 194 E-mail: email@example.com Price Range: Rs.1190
- Hotel Payal Ph: (+91)-(07686) 274 064, 274 076 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Price Range: Rs.690-1190
- Hotel Rahil Ph: (07686) 274 062 E-mail: email@example.com, Dormitory Beds Rs.90, Single Room Rs.490
- Hotel Lakeside - A budget hotel and pretty clean. Breakfast is not that good, even thn its expensive. Location is suitable and near to the western group of temples. A/C rooms are facing to the lake but the lake is filled wth dirty water
Address: opposite:-Shivsagar lake,Khajuraho - 471606(M.P.)INDIA
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org;email@example.com
Rates: From Rs.500 to Rs.1400, check in from 12 noon and check out 12 noon.
- Hotel Greenwood Opposite Airport Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274 505
- Hotel Surya, Jain Temple road, ☎ ( 91)-(07686) 274 145 , 274 572 fax ( 91)-(07686)-274 538 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Cheap, friendly and clean room, good value for the price (200 to 500 as april 2011) at least out of peak season. Nice garden but expensive (dishes around 150) restaurant. 200-500rs. (24.8423210,79.9246300)
- Hotel Zen Jain Temples Road, Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274 228,owned by an Osho pupil, a nice place to stay at
- Hotel Bharat Lodge - owned by the popular Paradise Restaurant management.
- Hotel Yogi Lodge - Very clean, Good breakfast, everything made-to-order, Address: opposite to the Western group of Temples Tel: (+91)- (07686)-274 158, 244 158 Email: email@example.com Price Rs.80-250
- Hotel Gem Palace Jain Temple Road Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274100 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Price Rs.200-475
- Hotel Surya Jain Temple Road Tel: (+91)-(07686) 244 145
- Hotel Jain Jain Temples Road Tel: (+91)-(07686) 242 352
- Hotel Sunset View Tel: (+91)-(07686) 244 077
- Hotel Casa Di William Tel: (+91)-(07686) 244244
- Golbro Tiger View Resort Near Petrol Pump, Tala, Bandhavgarh Tel: (+91)-(07627) 265 314 
- Hotel Marble Palace - A Temple Side Hotel [www.hotelmarblepalace.com] Oppsite gole market. Telephone - (+91)- (07686)274353
- Hotel Royal chandela - Tell: 09993747339 [email@example.com]
- Hotel Harmony khajuraho (91)7686-274135 very near to the temples, 40 rooms with air condition and non aircondition. roof top resturant serving chinese,indian and continental dishes.
- Hotel Khajuraho Ashok Ph: (+91)-(07686)-274 024
- Kairali Ayurvedic Health Spa  Opposite Khajuraho Airport, Tel: (+91)-(07686)-272 219 / 274 757
- Ken River Lodge  Village: Madla, Near Panna National Park Tel: (+91)-(07732) 275 200 Price: Around $165 The Ken River Lodge remains closed from May to Oct. May be a good information.
- Holiday Inn ,Khajuraho Tel: (+91)-(07686)-272 301, Price: Around $75
- Hotel Jass Oberoi Pass Road, Tel: (+91)-(07686)-2723 44, 2Km from airport, Price: Around $95'
- The Lalit Temple View ,opp. Circuit House, Khajuraho - 471606. Tel: (+91) (07686)- 272 111, (+91) -(07686) 272 333 Fax:(+91)- (07686) 272 123 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org, Price: Around $160
- Hotel Taj Chandela , Chhatarpur, Khajuraho 471 606 Tel: (+91)-(07686) 272 355-64 Fax: (+91)-(07686) 272 365-66 Email:email@example.com, Price: Around $100
- Hotel Clarks Khajuraho  Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274 038, fax (+91)-(07686)- 274 257 1 Km from airport, Price: Around $100
- Hotel Radisson , By Pass Road, Khajuraho, Tel: (+91)-(07686)-272 777 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Price: Around $70
- Usha Bundela , Usha Bundela Temple Road Tel: (07686) 272 386/87, Fax: (+91)+(07686) 272 385 E-mail: email@example.com Price: Around $90
- Lalit Temple View Khajuraho, (+91)-(07686) 272 111, 272 333 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, . 48 rooms, spa, pool, large landscape gardens. Member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
- Police: Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274 032 or 100 (from Any phone)
- Ambulance: 102 (from Any phone)
- Fire: 101 (from Any phone)
The dialing code for Khajuraho is 07686. When calling from overseas, dial +91 7686 XXXX XXXX. If you have a non-working phone number with only 5 digits then try using '2' as prefix.
- BSNL-CellOne GSM 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz.(Tri-Band)
- Airtel GSM 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz.(Tri-Band)
- Idea GSM 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz.(Tri-Band)
- Reliance Mobile CDMA
- Tata Indicom CDMA
Internet is available at most of the tourist locations, with around Rs.25 per hour. The western group of temples has one of the highest density of internet cafes. Don't expect broadband speeds.
- Om Internet and travel agency . On the way to Yogi Lodge. Market square, in front western group of temples. Broadband speed, helpful and english speaken owner and stuff
Hotel Surya Has also Internet services and they have a Travel Agency here you can book your train/flight and other travel.
India Post, Govt-run, office is located near the Bus Stand. Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274 022
Pincode/Post code is 471606
Try not to give any money to children or beggars who swarm at all the major tourist spots as this will only encourage them to make it their livelihood. They will try all the tricks of the trade to get money off you. Even a dollar or fifty cents given by the foreign tourists is big money here in MP.
Banks are better for changing foreign exchange. You won't get good rates at the airport or the hotels.
- State Bank of India (open until 6PM on Friday and 4PM on Saturday), Opp. the Western group of temples.Tel: (+91)-(07686) - 272 373, 274 083
- Canara Bank (also gives advances on Visa & MasterCard), Opp. the Western group of temples. (less crowded and close to SBI) Tel: (+91)-(07686) -274 071
- Khajuraho Ashok. Tel: (+91)-(07686)-274 024
Things to carry
A torch light/flash light and a Map.
- Bandhavgarh National Park — Small park famous for its high density of tigers
- Panna National Park — more tigers
- Nachna -40 km from Panna was a famous city of the Nagvakataka and Gupta empire.
- Raneh Falls (19 km)
- Ken Nature Trail - A 22 km , close to Raneh falls, is a jungle track, a natural beauty and imparts a knowledge of the surroundings.
- Ajaygarh Fort - located 80 km away from Khajuraho, is at a height of 688 meters above sea level and once the capital of the Chandelas during their decline.
- Kalinjar - A historical fort.
- Pandav Falls (34 km)
- Majhgavan Diamond Mines (56 km) - India's only working diamond mines.
- Benisagar Dam (10 km)
- Ranguan Dam (25 km)
- Gangau Dam and Sanctuary (34 km)
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!