Khabarovsk Krai (Russian: Хаб́аровский край, khuh-BAH-ruhf-skee krigh) is a region in the Russian Far East, which borders Amur Oblast to the west, Magadan Oblast to the north, Sakhalin Oblast across the Nevelsky Straits to the east, Primorsky Krai to the southeast, and Birobidzhan and China to the south.
- Khabarovsk — the capital and major regional center (population 570,000)
- Komsomolsk-on-Amur — a good sized city that is the steel center of Far Eastern Russia
- Okhotsk — First Russian settlement in the Far East (17th Century) and former headquarters of Vitus Bering, discoverer of the Bering Strait and Alaska; located in the region's far north
- Sovetskaya Gavan
- Sikhachi-Alyan — a small village of the Nanai people with a museum of local culture, opportunities for fine Nanai dining, and 1300 year old Nanai cliff drawings
- Botchinsky Nature Reserve
- Bureinsky Nature Reserve (Буреинский заповедник), including the spectacular Bear Lake (Медвежье озеро)
- Dzhugdzhursky Nature Reserve
- Khekhtsirsky Nature Reserve
- Komsomolsky Nature Reserve
Khabarovsk Krai occupies a long swathe of Russia's Pacific coastline going as far south as Sakhalin and north to Magadan Oblast, at nearly 800.000 km², it's Russias forth largest province. In the north, taiga and tundra prevail, deciduous forests in the south, and swampy forests in the central areas around Nikolaevsk-on-Amur. Several smaller mountain ranges intersect the region, including the northern reaches of the Sikhote-Alin mountains shared with Primorsky krai. The highest point is Mount Bery
See Russian phrasebook.
Khabarovsk is a major transportation hub for the entire Russian Far East and will likely be any visitor's first stop by either the Trans-Siberian Railway or via Khabarovsk's international airport.
- Khabarovsk Airlines (Хабаровские авиалинии), ☎ +7 (42135) 2-01-10. (NO) Is a public regional airline based in Nikolaevsk-on-Amur with cargo and passenger flights to Okhotsk, Chumikan and Khabarovsk, and serveral other small villages with An-2 & 24 aswell as YAK-40 aircraft.
- Vostok Airlines (Авиакомпания Восток), ☎ +7 (4212) 41-80-78, . Another regional passenger and cargo airline, this one is based in Khabarovsk and flies to Birobidzhan, Chegdomyn and Sovetskaja Gavan (Vanino)
The local government have plans on merging these two regional airlines, but so far no concrete plans has surfaced.
- Shantarsky archipelago (Шантарские острова)
Khabarovsk is the hub for regional air travel with important flights to Russian destinations Anadyr, Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk, Magadan, Moscow, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Yakutsk, and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, as well as international flights to Niigata, Japan and to Seoul, Korea. There are no direct flights to/from the US.
The next major stops to the east on the Trans-Siberian Railway are Ussuriysk and Vladivostok; to the west, Birobidzhan.
There is a regular ferry from Vanino (the terminus of the Baikal-Amur Mainline) to Kholmsk, Sakhalin.