Kesennuma (気仙沼市 Kesennuma-shi) is a city in Miyagi, Japan. It is home to the only shark museum in the country. There you can try a shark fin burger or various other delicacies of the city.
||WARNING: On 11th March 2011 the city was hit by an earthquake with a 8.9 magnitude followed by a tsunami and several aftershocks. This town and other areas along the coast were heavily damaged and are beginning to recover.
Oshima, which lays off the coast, is accessible by ferry from multiple ferry ports. Oshima is home to beautiful beaches which are quite popular in the summer, as well as the Kame-yama lift which takes you up Oshima's Kameyama. The view of the island and city is a beautiful.
Before the tsunami, there was a train line running up the coast from Sendai. There was also a train line continuing north from Kesennuma. Both were destroyed and will not be replaced in the near future. To reach Kesennuma by train, one can take the Tohoku Shinkansen to Ichinoseki, Iwate, and transfer to a local line, which terminates at Kesennuma Station.
- Kesennuma Station (気仙沼駅), 古町一丁目5-25. 5AM-8PM. This is the main train station for Kesennuma. There is a small store and sitting area. (38.909747,141.559153)
- Oreishii, (In Karakura, northern Kesennuma.). This rock brings in tourists from around the country.
- Tsubaki Marathon. In the spring, Oshima is home to this marathon which bring in runners of all ages to compete against each other in a race that covers the entire island.
- Isaribi Park (漁火パーク), 唐桑町北中98-18 (Near the southern tip of the Karakuwa Peninsula.), ☎ +81 0226 32-4340. This park has a large restaurant with ramen and other izakaya fare. (38.893223,141.649625)
- Ganko Ramen (がんこラーメン味噌家), Matsukawa 406-2 (Next to 7-11 on Highway 284.), ☎ +81 0226 23-2461. This small ramen shop sells miso, shio, and shoyu ramen. It also sells gyoza. ¥500-900. (38.912756,141.550443)
- Hilltop (ヒルトップ), 岩手県一関市千厩町清田字峠下２５−１ (This restaurant is located on the south side of Highway 284 about 20 minutes west of downtown Kesennuma. Technically it is in Ichinoseki, Iwate, but it's very close to Kesennuma.), ☎ +81 0191-52-5789 (email@example.com, fax: +81 0191-52-5789), . Th-Tu. This is a steak restaurant with an all-you-can-eat soup, salad, and rice bar. The steaks are large, by Japanese standards, and are grilled at your table. ¥1500-2500. (38.938207,141.409983)
- Osaki Campground (御崎野営場; Osakiyaeijo), 唐桑町崎浜４ (Near the southern tip of the Karakuwa Peninsula.), ☎ +81 0226 32-4000. (38.863575,141.672132)