Revision as of 01:13, 3 January 2010
The Kathmandu Valley is a region of 230 sq.miles (600 sq. km.) in the the Bagmati zone in central Nepal, and is home to three of the largest cities in Nepal, including Kathmandu itself, as well as hundreds of smaller towns and villages.
Buddhist Temple of Boudhanath, Kathmandu
- Swayambhunath -- the monkey temple.
- Pashpatinath -- the royal cremation ghats.
- Boudhanath -- the largest Buddhist Stupa in Nepal.
- Daksinkali -- Holy river gorge and site of weekly animal sacrifices. Hindu temple complex south of Kathmandu on the Bagmati River where it enters a gorge through the Mahabharat Range
- Gorkhanath Caves --
- Parping -- sacred caves associated with Guru Rinpoche, the founder of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Chobhar Hill Village -- Ancient Hill Village, origins from the 12th century.
- Chobhar Gorge -- Gorge through which all the waters of Kathmandu Lake were drained.
- Chobhar Caves -- Tectonic Limestone formations measuring some 1250 meters.
- Adithnath Temple -- Renovated in the 15th Cent., Adithnath is sacred to both Hindus and Buddhists.
- Shivapuri National Park - a Nepalese protected area at the north side the Kathmandu valley
Hire a taxi and get around the Kathmandu Valley.
- Rangjung Yeshe Institute, . An international institute for Buddhist higher studies in Baudha - modeled on a traditional Tibetan Buddhist College. The Institute is affiliated with Kathmandu University, and located on the premises of the monastery Ka-Nying [short for "Kagyu and Nyingma"] Shedrup Ling. It offers bachelors and masters degrees in Buddhist Studies with Himalayan Language (Tibetan, Nepali, and Sanskrit), as well as six week stand alone intensive courses in each.
- Kopan Monastery, . Founded by Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa as the core of what has become an international network of Gelugpa dharma centers, the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT). Located near Baudha, Kopan offers ten-day meditation courses regularly throughout the year, and a month-long course (for which it is famous) every November-to-December. Reservations are necessary.
- Nepal Vipassana Centers, . Vipassana Meditation (a popular Buddhist Meditation) as taught by S. N. Goenka.
- Osho Tapoban Forest Retreat, . Nagarjun Forest (Raniban).
- Patanjali Yoga Center, . The first residential school of Yoga in Nepal.
- Satyananda Yoga Centre, . Group and individual courses. Yoga Camps.
- The Healing Hands Center, . Classes in Ancient Massage / Thai Massage. Five-day course, ten-day course and one-month professional course every month.
- TU Central Library, . It is one of the largest library of Nepal situated within Tribhuvan University premise at Kirtipur. You can get there by regular bus or micro-bus for Kirtipur. It has a large collection of old and new books, journals and newspaper.
- British Council Library  It is in Lainchaur beside British Embassy.
- KEEP  Kathmandu Environmental Education Project have a center in Kathmandu (behind Kilroy's), which provides environmental information about Nepal. They provide books for trekkers to record their experiences in for others to read before they set off. You can ask to see a BBC film entitled "Bearing the Burden" about Nepalese porters. They also provide a water bottle refill service that is also cheaper than buying new bottles.