Pigeon Island ( Netrani Island ) lies about
10 km off the coast of Murudeshwar in Karnataka. It is a 4 hour drive from [[Goa]], or can be reached by Konkan Railway, with [[Murudeshwar]] and [[Bhatkal]] being the nearest stations. There are currently no local dives centers here ,and all diving at this location is organized by dive centers based in [[Goa]]. |+|
Pigeon Island ( Netrani Island ) lies about off the coast of Murudeshwar in Karnataka. It is a 4 hour drive from [[Goa]], or can be reached by Konkan Railway, with [[Murudeshwar]] and [[Bhatkal]] being the nearest stations. local dives centers here.
|−|The visibility here is generally in the 15-20m range and the dive sites are between 10 to 30m. Marine life is spectacular, with huge schools of Jacks, Barracuda, Triggerfish and Fusiliers. |+|
| || |
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 20:24, 4 October 2011
Karnataka is a state in Southern India.
There are many cities in Karnataka. These are some of the more notable:
Below is a selective list of sites of interest in Karnataka. It is far from exhaustive. For other sites, check regional articles.
Kannada is the official language of the state and the mother tongue of around 70% of the population. Other linguistic minorities include Urdu (9.72%), Telugu (8.34%), Marathi (.5%), Tamil (3.82%), Malayalam (1.69%), Tulu (3.38%), Konkani (1.78%), and Hindi (1.87%). English and Hindi are spoken by most educated people.
Transportation is made easy by the numerous services available from the KSRTC (Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation).They ply not only intra-state buses, but also inter-state buses to neighbouring states. KSRTC reservation counters are aplenty all over the state, and tickets can also be booked online.
- Airavath:Semi-sleeper Volvo a/c buses
Club Class Airavath: Volvo Multi-Axle
- Ambari: Corona AC sleeper class
- Mayura and Meghadoot:Comfortable A/C buses
- Rajahamsa:Non-A/C semi sleeper Deluxe buses comfortable for short distances,and cheap for longer journeys.
Also available are private bus services for interstate areas, as well as to neighboring states. The information for booking tickets and available services from various vendors is available on http://www.redbus.in/.
Pigeon Island ( Netrani Island ) lies about 12 Nm off the coast of Murudeshwar in Karnataka. It is a 4 hour drive from Goa, or can be reached by Konkan Railway, with Murudeshwar and Bhatkal being the nearest stations. The Dreamz Diving is the only local dives centers here.
The visibility here is generally in the 15-20m range and the dive sites are between 10 to 30m. Marine life is spectacular, with huge schools of Jacks, Barracuda, Triggerfish and Fusiliers. Many times giant Groupers, Black Tip Sharks, Kobias and Giant Tunas are spotted here, even Whales, Whale Sharks, Orkas, Dolphins, have been spotted by many divers at Netrani Island.
Netrani is considered to be the best Dive Location from main land India which is accessible within a day's trip to Murudeshwar.
These are a few speciality dishes you can feast on in Karnataka:
- Dosa - A thin dough baked until crisp and containing masala. To eat, pieces are broken off and dipped in one of the amazing sauces that accompany the dish.
- Bisibele Baath - Made of rice and lentils and a lot of spices.
- Raagi and Akki Rotis - Similar to tortillas but made of raagi (English: coracan, finger millet) or rice flour and black cumin, asafoetida, fresh coriander, green chillies and finely chopped onions.
- Raagi Mudde – A staple food in some South Indian households. It is basically made by cooking raagi flour in water and rolling it into thick-consistency balls. Raagi mudde is swallowed and not chewed after dipping it into ghee and sambar.
- Idli - Idli, also romanized "idly", is made by steaming batter — traditionally made from black lentils and rice — into patties using a two to three inch diameter mold.
- Jolada Roti: A thin tortilla made of Jawar baked on both sides for 2-3 minutes, grown in northern part of karnataka. Preferable to have with brinjal curry.
Filter Coffee is very famous and unique about Karnataka. People also drink Badam Milk (crushed almond powder mixed with milk served hot and cold.)