*[[Orchha]] About 240 Km
*[[Orchha]] About 240 Km
*[[Panna National Park]]
*[[Panna National Park]]
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 12:53, 26 December 2012
Kanpur is a city in Uttar Pradesh.
Kanpur a major industrial and commercial city located on the banks of the River Ganges. It has an area of over 1,200 km²(5th largest city in India) and had a population of around 6.1 million in the 2008 census. Kanpur is home to several educational institutions, including an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Kanpur), CSJM University, Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (HBTI), University Institute of Engineering and Technology, GSVM Medical College and Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology (AITH).
Located on the national corridor of railways, the city of Kanpur is well connected with the rest of India by rail services, eg. Shadabti Express from Delhi to Kanpur.
It also lies on the Kolkata-New Delhi rail link and hence is connected with Rajdhani expresses (multiple of them, Howrah rajdhani, Guwahati rajdhani, Bhubaneswar rajdhani).
Main Railway Stations in the City
- Kanpur Central: The main railway station of the city lies in Cantonement area. It is connected with Jhansi, Lucknow, New Delhi, Agra, Howrah etc. The trains like Shatabdi, Rajdhani have stoppage here.
- Kanpur Anwarganj: It's the oldest railway station of Kanpur. It is connected with Lucknow, Allahabad, Mathura and Gorakhpur on one side and Farukhabad, Kannauj, Agra, Mathura etc. on the other side.
- Govind Puri: It is the junction Railway station where the line is divided into two parts for Jhansi and New Delhi.
- Panki: This station has only passenger trains stoppage here which provides convenience for the passengers living in the nearby villages of this area.
- Rawatpur: One of the main station in the city to catch trains to & from Farrukhabad & Kasganj.
Even though Kanpur has an airport, there are only five flights per week to Delhi and three per week to Kolkata operated by Air India. If flying from any other city, you can take an Air India (formerly Indian Airlines) flight to Delhi (get your luggage checked through to avoid confusion - Air India offers the service), and then take an Air India flight from Delhi to Kanpur.
Flights directly to Kanpur are quite expensive and not very frequent. Instead, many travelers to\from Kanpur prefer to use the airport at the neighboring city of Lucknow. Lucknow Airport is well-connected to almost all cities in India and many in the Middle-East. It is about 70 kilometers from Kanpur. From Lucknow airport a taxi can be taken to the city railway station or bus station. Trains between the cities can be taken from ‘Charbagh, Lucknow’ which is 10 km away from the Airport; but most are very crowded and not very comfortable. Buses are available from ‘Alambag Bus Stop, Lucknow’ which is 6 km away from the Airport. The frequency of buses between the cities is very high, all types of buses ( both AC as well as non-AC) are available and using the bus is a relatively comfortable option. If you are not on a budget, the best alternative is using a taxi which can be taken from the airport itself.
The flights to Kanpur and Lucknow are generally reliable and timely, but may get delayed or diverted during winter (Dec-Jan) when the region often experiences dense fog. Trains too get affected. Plan your travel accordingly and allow for possible delays.
Kanpur is well connected by road. NH 2 and NH 25 passes nearby. The National Highways which pass thru Kanpur are NH 2, NH 25, NH 86 and NH 91. Kanpur has two major bus stations. The main bus station of Kanpur is Jhakarkati Bus Station. Service of Volvo buses especially Royal Cruisers are available which provide services to Delhi, Jaipur and Agra and other destinations.
There are Air Conditioned city buses running by UPSRTC under JNNURM. These buses offer cheaper rates than Auto Rickshaws. For more information see the page Kanpur Metropolitan Bus Service in Wikipedia.
You can travel using auto rickshaws or the tempo (three wheelers) called Vikram. Vikram is the cheapest mode of transportation. Vikram drivers have a fixed rate for point-to-point travels and its an experience in itself. The quality of auto rickshaws in Kanpur is not very comfortable and there is no system for charging the fare by Kilo meters.
Cycle rickshaws have no fixed fares for the destinations. They are very convenient way of travel, especially for the short distances. One has to bargain for the fare for taking their service.
Private car taxis are available at various hotels and thru travel agencies.
- Shri Radha Krishna Temple (Popularly known as JK Temple), (In the heart of the city near Gumti no. 5 and Pandav Nagar). Wonderful piece of architecture and art and you must see this monument if you visit Kanpur. The Temple has statues of Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva, Lord Hanuman, Lord Vishnu, and Lord Rama. Murals on the temple walls inside depict the scenes from Mahabharat are worth watching. The illuminated towers of the temple can be seen from quite a distance at night. On Sundays, it is usually very crowded in summers as people try to get some relief from the high temperatures in the greenery and openness of the Temple premises.
- Allen Forest Zoo. Once a natural habitat for fauna, this is one of the very few zoos which are created in a natural forest area. Greenery and the natural beauty are worth a visit. The natural surroundings in which animals are kept is a nice change from the caged variety that you see around other zoos.
- Ganga Barrage. A dam built across Ganges River near Old Kanpur. Contains Boating Club.
- Gautam Buddha Park, (On the way to IIT Campus). This is the latest addition to Kanpur city. With its huge area and greenery, it makes a good weekend picnic spot.
- Nana Rao Park. Site of the Cawnpore massacre during the Indian Mutiny/War of Independence/Rebellion of 1857. The circular ridge of the well where the bodies of women and children were deposited is still visible and prominent figure of the Rebel forces, Tantya Tope, is represented at the park in statue form.
- Massacre Ghat. Site of the Cawnpore massacre during the Indian Mutiny/War of Independence/Rebellion of 1857. The circular ridge of the well where the bodies of women and children were deposited is still visible and prominent figure of the Rebel forces, Tantya Tope, is represented at the park in statue form.
- Bithoor, (25 km from Kanpur city). This is a popular getaway from Kanpur. This is a riverside of Holy Ganges river. Also known as the birth place of Luv & Kush. A boat ride across the river can be a pleasure ride. There are no active lifeguards at this place so one has to be be cautious.
- Jama Masjid, Patkapur (In the heart of city near Nana Rao Park). This is a biggest and popular mosque of Kanpur.
- Habiba Masjid, (17 km from Kanpur in Jajmau). This is a popular mosque from Kanpur.
- JK Masjid, near new chungi jajmau kanpur-208010 (18 km from Kanpur in Jajmau). This is a mosque from Kanpur.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), (On the western side of the Kanpur), . Campus in a isolated place with greenery and calm environment.
- Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (HBTI), . This is a premier Engineering College in the region. This is the oldest engineering college of North India, after Roorkee. This was established in 1921 by the then Governer of United Province (now Uttar Pradesh) Sir Harcourt Butler. It has a sprawling 280 acres lush green campus having almost all the branches of engineering and Chemical-Technolgy.
- Kanpur Sanghralaya. Kanpur Sanghralaya,a meuseum established by Britishers.It contain old pictures,Books,items and many other things.
- Kanpur Memorial Church. Kanpur Memorial Church,a church established by Britishers.It contain old fountains,Books,items and many other things.
- Gora Cemetry. A cemetry of british millitants situated near Civil Lines.
- Rave@Moti Mall. Rave@Moti Mall,a mall established by Jagran Team.It contain anchors BIG BAZAAR,Pantaloons etc..
- Z Square Mall. Z Square Mall,a mall established by ZAZ Tanners.It contain anchors like Westside,Lifestyle,Jambo Electronics,Big Bazaar and all other big showr
- Kamla Retreat. Kamla Retreat,a meuseum established by JK Group.It contain many items and many other things.
- ISCKON Temple, singpur ,bithoor. ISCKON Temple. best to go on sundays
- Micky House, (Kidwai Nagar). Amusement Park.
- Jungle Water Park, (Bithoor Road). Amusement Park.
- Sports Village, (Bithoor Road). Amusement Park.
- Ekta Park, (Near Pandu River). Amusement Park.
- vaisno devi mandir, damodar nagar (barra kanpur-208027). 05:30am to 9:30pm. Amusement Park. 2Rs par tiket.
- Motijheel. Walk in the morning at Motijheel.
- Rave moti. Watch movies at Rave moti, Rave 3 and Zsquare mall.
- Golf Club. Play golf every morning by joining club.
- Allen park Zoo. Watch animals and birds and learn about them.
- Mahatma Gandhi park. Do boating at Mahatma Gandhi park.
- Check out the market of Naveen market, ppn market, mall road, arya nagar, swaroop nagar, tilak Nagar, gumti no 5
- Check out the value for money clothes specially for ladies you will get in Beconganj area, This place is Hub for all the hand embroidered High , Medium and value for Money works ,Good Boutiques Like Khanam's are in the Vicinity.
- Leather Goods on Meston Raod (Bada Chauraha). Meston road is also good for all other day-to-day items.
- Clothes at Gumti no. 5, Naveen Market, P. Road. Also find wholesale markets at Navghada, General Gunj
- Utensils, Sarees, Bangles and lot of other stuff at reasonable rates at Sisamau. Utensils can also be found at Hatiya.
- Christ Church College
- Khanam's, 97/11 Kayasthana Road (Talaq Mohal), ☎ +91-512-2540457/9793516756. 11:00~21:00. Female Clothing Range , Boutique and fashion Point , High end hand Embroidered Suits , wedding Gowns and Wedding suits at very getteable price ( accept all major Credit Cards )
- Lal Bangla, . the best & cheapest market in Kanpur with big showrooms of many brands. Besides it is also famous for road side shops. It is also the biggest market in Kanpur. It's near by area Jajmau is famous for leather production. All the leather items can be purchased in Lal Bangla Market. Nearest public transport station is Rama Devi which is well connected with all city roads. Some of the Famous shops are- Rakesh Stores (cheapest departmental store), JS Fashions & Chandani (ready-made garments), Ruju Sports (sports items).
Kanpur is a great place for Chat lovers, the city is planked with chat shops serving pani puri, allu tikki, dahai chat etc.
A popular food junction is the lane at arya nagar, with eatries serving everything from chat, south indian, biryani, egg rolls, burgers, chats to ice creams.
For a range of multi cuisine restaurants vist The Mall, Naveen Market, Civil Lines, Sarvodaya Nagar (Moti Rave) and Swaroop Nagar, restaurants open to 11PM. Check out Aromas in Swaroop Nagar for some awesome burgers. Try the mushroom burger if you are the adventurous kind, you will not be disappointed.
No meal in Kanpur can be completed without eating pan, hence, if you are near cantt, the mall road, near phool bagh gives you excellent paan options, or may just drive till birhana road and grab a pan there. Around the other side however, the lane near halet, is a haven of pan vendors. With alternating medicine and CT scan clinics, the pans here are the best in the city. The pan shops are open comfortably till 2AM. Perfect reason to go out on a drive.
- Baba biryani, Swaroop Nagar,beconganj. Biryani.
- Banarsi ke ladoo. Serves the best boondi ladoos, which are world famous. Infact from a small shop banarsi has grown into a huge store with lots of branches all over the city. The sweet store always has a huge line outside it during all festivities, where the ladoos need to be booked in advanced. Its ladoos have travelled to america also, and is a hot favourite.
- Aromas, Swaroop Nagar. fast food point.
- Ghosh Misthan Bhandar, 80 Feet Road. Among the famous sweets in Kanpur are Rasgolla from this shop.
- Hanuman Chat, P. Road. Chat
- Hathras, Meston Road. Chat.
- Makhan Singh, Arya Nagar. Biryani.
- Peru, Bakarmandi. Biryani.
- Rakesh Biryani, Parade. Do try n scorp Rakesh Ki Biryani in " Kanpur" at Navin Market.
eat A small standing-only place near the Parade Chauraha, the aroma of mouthwatering Chicken Biryani will wipe out all thoughts of chicken flu from your mind. After you dig into the food, you may even end up walking away with a parcel for the evening. I say a parcel for dinner because this place shuts at 3 pm. So drop in between 11.30 am and 3 pm. And, it is closed on Tuesdays.An apology to vegetarians. This place does not cater to them.
- Shanker, Birhana Road. Chat.
- Thaggu ke Ladu, (Next to Somdutt Plaza). This is a small shop. Specialty of this shop are ladoos (balls of dried milk) and icecream. Although high in calories, ladoos are very delicious. Bunty & Babli was also shot here.
- Ram Mishthan Bhandar, Sisamau, Jawahar Nagar. A famous sweet shop offering varieties of mouth watering sweets and snacks and its "Peda" is very famous around the globe.
- Dubey ji chat wale, Hatia bazar, ☎ 0512-2300007. Serving chat to kanpurites for more than 100 years,CHURMA(mix) is famous for its delicious taste.
- Tandoori nights, Swaroop Nagar. Buryani.
- Shahi Darbar, Parade. Biryani.
- The Chat, Swaroop Nagar. Chat.
- Chin mi. Authentic Chinese.
- Chung Fa (Mall St.). Authentic Chinese.
- Energy Point, Swaroop Nagar. Biryani.
- Celebration Point, M.G Marg.
- MC Donald, Z Square Mall,Rave 3 Mall,South X Mall,Mega Mall. Fast food, named for the telephone code of kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially for burgers.
- Moti Mahal, Mega Mall. Fast food, named for the telephone code of kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the indian style foods and Many types of Non Veg.
- Palate. Continental/Mexican/Lebanese.
- Pandit (Restaurant), katheri Bagh, Cantts (near Murry Co. Bridge), . 7am To 11 PM. Serving Indian, Continental,rajasthani,South Indian,Chinese, Chaat, Paani Poori and world famous Laddus alongwith an exotic range of Indian Sweets. 100% Vegetarian all preprations in Cow Ghee. Best Packed Thali for travel served in trains
- Palate. Continental/Mexican/Chinese.
- Baba, Z Square Mall,Bekanganj. Non Veg.
- Kwality, Mall Road. Old and popular this is with its charms of a diner which serves au gratin/baked vegetables still as a delicacy, and where tutti frutti and its famous pudding essentially close a meal. Must try are the desserts here, they are irresistable.
- 0512, Civil Lines. Fast food, named for the telephone code of kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the indian style pizza and pasta.
- Little Chef, Civil Lines. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams.
- Mehfil, Civil Lines. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams.
- KFC, The Mall. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams.
- Moti Mehal, The Mall. Traditional Indian Food and Western Style Food.
- The Landmark Restaurant, The Mall. Traditional Indian Food,Ice Cream,Southern Cusine,Thalis Continental and Western Style Food.
Pubs and bars
There are pubs at Landmark Hotel and at the new malls.
Mufarra is a red drink which you can drink in summer for getting relief of Hot.This is easily available on shops.
Cafes and teahouses
- Banarsi Tea Shop, (At Motijheel Chauraha crossing). Famous tea vendor who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his tea, especially in the morning.
- Cafe Coffee Day, (At all shopping malls). Famous coffee shop from South India where you can have coffee. You can expect a large crowd waiting to have their coffee, especially in the morning.
- Barista Coffee, (At a few shopping malls). Famous coffee shop from the US where you can have your coffee.
There are a number of hotels on Mall Road and G.T Road.
- Geet Hotel, 18/174-175, opp Phollbagh, The Mall. 1 km from Railway stn, 11 km from kanpur Airport.
- Hotel Akashdeep International, 18/177, opp Phool Bagh, The Mall. 10 km from Railway stn, 20 km from kanpur Airport.
- Hotel Atithi, 17/11, The Mall. 2 km from Railway stn, 15 km from kanpur Airport.
- Hotel Paradise, 16/62, Shri Krishana Tower Civil Lines,Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh - 208001,India, ☎ +91-9810068858, . At Hotel Paradise in Kanpur, India, you’ll discover that comfortable can also be affordable. Deluxe yet economical conveniences await your arrival to their lxury hotel. Just like the familiar feel of home, their well-appointed guestrooms offer especially inviting spaces. To keep you pampered day-in and day-out, their prompt round-the-clock services will make your stay one of absolute ease. Best rates on official website start at INR 1,190.00.
- Hotel Mandakini, 40/69B, Hospital Road Parade, The Mall,Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh - 208001, India, ☎ +91-9235605005, . Hotel Mandakini has all the things you require for a convenient and budget-friendly stay in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. Meeting your demand for deluxe yet reasonably priced accommodation, this hotel offers luxurious rooms and suites furnished with premium essentials. Indeed, this hotel in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh stays true to the standards set by the Kukreja Group Hotels by giving you value for your money. With such a guarantee, you can easily enjoy every single day of your stay at Hotel Mandakini. Best rates on official website start at INR 1,190.00.
- Hotel Gagan Plaza, 63/6 The Mall, ☎ +915123027426, . Offers 39 air-conditioned rooms and suites, fitted with a 100-channel cable TV, bathroom with hot and cold water, refrigerator and internet access. It houses two conference rooms that can fit up to 150 and 500 persons, and party and marriage lawn that can accommodate up to 1,000 guests.
- Hotel Mandakini Palace Kanpur, Civil Lines, ☎ +915126451901, . Three star hotel offering nine superior rooms and 12 suites, all have individually controlled air-conditioning, private bath with hot and cold water, and refrigerator. It also has a conference facility and restaurant that can accommodate up to 250 persons. Room rate starts at Rp 2,690.00++.
- Hotel Little Chef Kanpur, Civil Lines. Three star hotel offering nine superior rooms and 12 suites, all have individually controlled air-conditioning, private bath with hot and cold water, and refrigerator. It also has a conference facility and restaurant that can accommodate up to 250 persons. Room rate starts at Rp 2,500++.
- Hotel Vijay Villa Kanpur, Tilak Nagar. Hotel rising high above the high-rise landscape of the city. Room rate starts at Rp 2,500++.
- Landmark Hotel, mall road. Five star hotel rising high above the high-rise landscape of the city's Mall road area.
- Hotel Bliss, Gumti No. 5. The hotel offers a variety of comfort facilities and fine dining at moderate prices. Guests are spoilt with the traditional hospitality and food. The hotel offers an excellent view of the nearby lake and is a recommended stay in Kanpur.
- Hotel Mahadeva Regency, Gumti No. 5. The rooms are air conditioned. Free airport and railway station transfers.