Kamphaeng Phet (กำแพงเพชร) is a city in Lower Northern Thailand.
Geographically located in the Lower North on the bank of the Ping River, Kamphaeng Phet is 358 kilometres from Bangkok. To its East are riverine flatlands while the western areas are made up of high mountains lush with fertile forests where a number of national parks have been established.
Areas along the river bank at present-day Mueang district used to host several ancient towns which had played a major role as strategic front-line frontiers since Sukhothai was the kingdom's capital down through the times of Ayutthaya and early Rattanakosin (Bangkok) eras. In fact, the name Kamphaeng Phet actually means as strong as walls or forts make of diamonds.
- The hot springs of Phra Ruang not so far from the main town. A precise route is to follow Highway 101 north (towards Sukhothai) out of Kamphaeng Phet town for 13 km's and then a left and 12 km's up this road you'll come upon the springs, can't be missed.
- Otherwise there are many great national parks where you can do some hiking.
- Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park, north of city (walk north, hard to miss.). 09.00-16.00. In former times Kamphaeng Phet was part of the Sukhothai kingdom. Ruins from this time are found to the immediate north of the new city. In 1991 these, along with the two related historical cities, became a world heritage site. 100b.
- Coffee Today, town centre. (look for the clock and the fountain.). Possibly the best, maybe the only 'western' coffee shop in town. Cappuccinos at 50 baht, selection of sweet snacks, wifi. On the street corner opposite the town fountain. Intersection of Thanon Tesa 1 and Thanon Kamphaengphet. Popular. 2012. medium. (16.4831,99.5231)
- Riverside Scenic Resort is a great and realxing place to stay. Lots of local info and near the old city.
- 3 J Guesthouse, 79 Rachavitee Rd (south side of town.), ☎ 055-713-129, . checkout: 12.00. Low cost, basic rooms (entirely adequate and clean), fan or aircon, very pleasant garden environment. Small range of food offered, bikes for hire (200b a day). Family run business, good spoken English, helpful advice about touring the town and ruines. About 2kms south of city centre. Bike 50b from bus station. 200-400b. (16.4786,99.5355)
|Routes through Kamphaeng Phet