Kamloops is located in British Columbia, Canada. It is the Tournament Capital of Canada. It has hosted Strauss Canada Cup of Curling, Skate Canada, World Fly Fishing Championships, Tim Horton's Olympic Qualifying Bike Race, and World Junior Hockey Championships. Kamloops is a small city with a population just under 93,000.
Flight times into Kamloops
Kamloops Airport (IATA: YKA | ICAO: CYKA) is served by Air Canada Jazz, Central Mountain Air and WestJet, it connects Kamloops to and from Calgary, Vancouver, Prince George and Edmonton(seasonally).
Via rail runs to Kamloops.
Both Major highways in western Canada pass through Kamloops. The TransCanada highway passes through the Fraser valley from Vancouver in the west, and continues east through the rest of BC via Salmon Arm, Revelstoke, the Rogers Pass, Golden, and onto Alberta via Banff and Calgary.
The YellowHead #5 highway heads north from Kamloops to Jasper and Edmonton.
The Coquihalla #5 was originally built for Expo 86 in Vancouver. It was a toll highway up until September 2008, when it was unexpectedly announced that the toll was being lifted immediately, and the toll booths were taken down. This is a boost to Interior British Columbia and welcomed by many. The Coquihalla provides a much quicker route from Vancouver to Kamloops. (Approx 4 hrs by car) This route take you through Hope and Merritt and is considered less scenic than the TransCanada route. The downside of the high altitude road is that it can become dangerous in the winter as sudden weather changes may make the road icy, snow covered or impassible. Check the road conditions before you set out.
- MacArthur Island Park
- Riverside Park- Where the rivers meet
- The BC Wildlife Park
- Thompson Rivers University is Canada's most comprehensive university. Summer campus tours daily, and Wednesday night 'Friends of the Gardens' tours of the largest botanical collection in the interior of B.C.
- Aberdeen Mall is a large two-floor upscale mall, 1320 West Trans Canada Highway, has quite a few attractions, mainly clothes stores. Navigation is also somewhat easier than other malls.
- Two River Junction Musical Revue[www.tworiverjunction.com]
- Kamloops Blazers - Competitive Western Hockey League team. The Blazers play at the Interior Savings Centre.
Climbing at Roche Lake near Kamloops, BC
- Swim -- Adjacent to downtown, Kamloops has a lovely beach park (Riverside Park) along the Thompson River. There is a water park for children and an enclosed swimming area on the river. The Thompson is, however, swift and cold and the swimming area is not always patrolled.
- Climb -- While not as popular among the rock climbing crowd as Squamish or Penticton, there are several areas that offer climbing in and around the Kamloops areas. Climbing information can be found in a free online guide available at CLIMBKamloops.ca
- Ski -- Sun Peaks is an hour or so drive north of Kamloops along Highway 5.
- Golf (approximately 11 18-hole courses, with "Tobiano" being the latest opened June 2007)
- Mountain Bike -- With the hilly and mountainous terrain that varries from wide open to thickly wooded, Kamloops is one of the more popular locations for mountain bike riding in western Canada.
- Kamloops Heritage Railway
- Sunmore Ginseng SPA
- Kamloops Brewery Tours.
- Siwash Lake Ranch (luxury dude ranch), nr. 70 Mile House (2.5 hours north of Kamloops), ☎ 250-395-6541, . 8AM to 9PM PST. Canada's top luxury guest ranch and eco-friendly destination, offering the world's best horseback riding and fly-fishing adventures in a wilderness paradise. (51.33313214137042,-120.91621398925781)
- Horseback Riding/Guest Ranch (Tod Mountain Ranch), 3968 Heffley-Louis Creek Road (45 mins from Kamloops; 15 mins from Sun Peaks)), ☎ 250-578-8869, . Adult oriented guest ranch offering horseback riding vacations in the summer months (May - October). In the winter months, offers affordable accommodation close to Sun Peaks Ski Resort and only 5 mins from the Cahilty snowmobiling trails. Accommodation is in cute cabins and the main lodge has a magnificent stone fireplace, stunning views down the valley, a fab games rooms with pool table, shuffleboard, card table, board games etc. Rates are all inclusive of meals and accommodation and all on-site activities. www.todmountainranch.com
- Ski -- Harper mountain, ☎ 250-573-5115, . Harper mountain is a great place to ski tube or chill out in their lodge watching the mountain. Family friendly field open for night skiing on Thursday and Friday nights 5 to 9 20mins out of Kamloops
- Sanbiki sushi is located on Victoria St in the downtown core. Authentically prepared nigiri, sashimi and maki is elegantly presented. Featuring several popular favourites as well as local and seasonal specialities, this restaurant is reasonably priced and popular with the locals. The itamae is very receptive to dietary restrictions. For the more ethically conscious, only free-range eggs and wild-caught fish (when available) are used.
- Peter's Pasta is located on Victoria St in the downtown core. All pastas and sauces are handmade on-site. Peter himself is often present and is always happy to answer any questions or even just make pleasant conversation. Very popular with the locals -arrive early as they do not take reservations .
- Mountain-High Pizza Either located near the Sprott-Shaw college in Downtown, or at 1465 Trans Canada highway, Mountain-High Pizza is a very good, locally owned and operated pizza shop with a great feel.
- D'agastinos Delicious authentic Italian food located on Victoria St. in the downtown core.
- Frick and Frack Lively atmosphere and offers a wide variety of beer from around the world. Located onVictoria Street across from the casino.
- Harolds Family Restaurant Another local favorite for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This place doesn't look like much but has a great feel, awesome service, and tasty home cooked meals.
The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.
Pubs and Lounges
- The Duchess on Tranquille nightclub is located at 377 Tranquille Road in North Kamloops. This is combination pub, lounge and exotic nightclub. A great amateur exotic dance contest is held on Wednesday nights. During the evening the clientele is 50/50 men and women and there is a very active dance floor with a great lighting system and fogger.
- Cactus Jacks is located on Seymour St in the downtown core. This is a large facility with a distinct country & western theme. Featuring weekly wet T-shirt contests, bikini bullriding and occasional live music acts.
- Northbridge Hotel & Suites, 377 Tranquille Rd, North Kamloops, ☎ 250-376-5168 (email@example.com, fax: 250-376-3781), . checkin: 3 pm; checkout: 11 am. $69 to $119.
- Knights Inn, 625 West Columbia St., ☎ 250-374-6944, .
- Thompson Rivers University Residence & Conference Centre  - Offers Summer accommodations for groups and individuals on the TRU campus. Excellent transit connections to all areas of the city direct from campus.
- Vancouver is approximately 351 kilometers south west. There are trains, flights from the Kamloops airports, as well as two major highways connecting the two cities.
- Sun Peaks - an alpine ski resort located 50 kilometers north of Kamloops.
- Cariboo-Chilcotin, BC's cowboy country and dude ranch region is a one hour drive west of Kamloops