Kaiserslautern  is in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.
Nicknamed "K-Town", Kaiserlautern was home to many military personnel during the Cold War, and several American Military Installions, including Ramstein Air Base, are still in operation nearby.
In the middle ages, the town was chosen by Emperor Friedrich I (Barbarossa) as a seat of government.
Kaiserslautern was the smallest of the twelve host cities for the 2006 World Cup.
Touristically, this town has not much to offer but some nice restaurants, bars and nightclubs.
Regional trains travel to Kaiserlautern from Saarbrücken (€10, 45 min) and Neustadt(Weinstr) (€9, 25 min). An ICE from Frankfurt takes 1½ hours and costs €32. An S-Bahn connects with Heidelberg (1¼ hour) and Mannheim (1 hour).
Kaiserslautern has a city bus system. It has also night buses. You can get tickets from the driver.
FC Kaiserslautern - FC Kaiserslautern is Kaiserslautern's professional football/soccer team in Germany's second division.
- The Palentein Forest is 5 minutes away from the city centre, and there are many nice walks available. A classic combination is walking to the Humberg Turm and then visiting the Bremerhof pub, also located in the forest.
- Glockencafe, Glockenstr. 43, tel:0631/60384. Cafe/Restaurant that usually opens at 19:00. If you want to eat budget, go for the baked breads. Otherwise, quality food, beer and nice atmosphere. No loud music and a garden make it a good place to hangout.
- Uwe's Tomate, Schillerplatz 4, tel:0631/93406. Upper class restaurant in the city center. Quality food and service. Good choice for small celebrations.
- 21 is a cocktail bar situated on top of the city-council building, the tallest building in Kaiserslautern. It offers a nice view, if for no other reason because it's the only place in town where you cannot see the city-council building itself.
- Bremerhof - Is a beer-garden situated in the palentine forest, they have a large outdoor service area, with expensive pub food, and normally priced drinks. It's good for the view of the forest, and it is near to a children's playing ground as well as a fenced off area with wild deer.