Kailua (pronounced cai-luu-ah) is on the Windward Coast of Oahu in Hawaii.
Districts Around or In
- Aikahi - located outside Kaneohe Marine Corps Base
- Enchanted Lakes & Keolu Hills - south of Kailua
- Kaneohe Marine Corps Base - north of Kailua
- Lanikai - south-east of Kailua
- Maunawili - south-west of Kailua
- From Honolulu: Take the H-1 to Pali Highway (route 61), and follow the Pali through the mountains about 12 miles into Kailua town. The road name on route 61 changes twice: once after Castle Junction (Kamehameha Hwy., route 83) to Kalanianiole Highway, then again after Castle Hospital to Kailua Road. Don't let this confuse you.
- From the North Shore/Kaneohe: Take Kamehameha Highway (route 83) west to the Kaneohe Bay Drive & Kamehameha Highway intersection. Take the left turn at the intersection to get onto Kaneohe Bay Drive. Keep going straight as you go over the hill (turns into Mokapu Saddle Road, which becomes Mokapu Blvd.). Take a right turn at the Mokapu Blvd. and Oneawa Street intersection (2nd intersection after the overpass) and keep going straight for about a mile; as this will lead you into Kailua Town.
- From Honolulu: Take TheBus route 56 or 57 from the beach side city bus stop at Ala Moana Center into Kailua (to get to Ala Moana from Waikiki take route 8, 19, or 20). Wait for the 56 or 57 near the Windward 56/57 sign. One of these buses comes by about every 25 minutes, travel time is approximately 35-50 minutes, the last bus returning to Honolulu is at about 9:30pm.
TheBus has 4 routes that travels throughout the Kailua District.
- 56 (Westbound: Kailua/Kaneohe) (Eastbound: Honolulu/Ala Moana or Downtown/Bishop Street)
- This route is Ala Moana to & from Windward Mall. It uses Kailua Road, Oneawa Street, and Kaneohe Bay Drive as it's main roads.
- 57 (Westbound: Kailua/Sea Life Park, Kailua/Waimanalo, or Kailua/Keolu Drive) (Eastbound: Honolulu/Ala Moana or Downtown/Bishop Street)
- Sea Life Park Route: This route uses Kailua Road, Keolu Drive, and Kalanianaole Highway.
- Waimanalo Route: This route uses Kailua Road and Kalanianaole Highway.
- Keolu Drive: This route uses Kailua Road and Keolu Drive.
- 70 (Westbound: Kailua/MCBH/Maunawili) (Eastbound: Lanikai/Kailua Town)
- 8AM-2PM: starts in Maunawili, goes through Kailua Town, circles on Mokapu Blvd (enters & exits Kaneohe Marine Corps Base), and loops route.
- 2PM-7PM: starts at busstop on the corner of Hamakua Drive & Kailua Road, passes by Kailua Beach Park, circles around Lanikai, circles around Maunawili, and loops route.
- kailua411 (make life easy), . Go to kailua411.com for info, coupons and discounts and all the happenings in Kailua. They have excelent articles about Kailua, you can find great coupons and discounts for local businesses and their happenings section has all the upcoming events and activities for Kailua, so it's easy to plan what you want to do. It's great because the site translates to almost any language.
- If you are coming from Honolulu, follow Kailua Road by taking the fork curving off to the right once you get into town. you'll pass a Ford dealership, Bank of Hawaii, Lanikai Juice, and a Macy's. Pass through the first stop light (at Hahani St. in front the Kailua Shopping Center). At the next stoplight (in front of a Mormon church), turn left to continue on Kailua Road for about 1 km. Then take the fork curving to the right. Kailua Beach Park is past the curve. TheBus is Hawaii's award winning transit service which can be taken into Kailua, where a traveler can then catch Route 70 in front of Macy's which goes to the beach. It might be faster to walk, since the 70 only comes by every 60-90 minutes.
- Windsurf: Due to the wind.
- Learn to kiteboard - Kiting.com , Kiteboards.com  in Oahu.
- Scuba dive - Oahu Dive Center  on Hahani St.
- Kayak - Kailua Sailboards and Kayaks  - 130 Kailua Rd near the beach. Half-day or full day rental, singles and doubles. Back rests, dry bags are extra. You can pull the kayaks on trucks (provided) to the beach, push off and kayak out to the various tiny islands there. Flat Island is a seabird sanctuary. Reef shoes are not a bad idea, as the bottom rocks around the islands are rather sharp if you flip or to push off. Beautiful views.
- Global Village,  (on the corner of Hahani St & Kailua Road). Beautiful clothes and gifts owned by a Native Hawaiian Family.
- UDown Shop. Cool clothes and more.
- Lanikai Bath & Body, . All-natural locally made bath and body products with distinct and unique Hawaiian scents.
- Kailua Shopping Center, . Places to eat and shop.
- East Honolulu Clothing Company, 41-1537 Kalanianaole Hwy, Waimanalo (in the Waimanalo Town Shopping Center by Jack in the Box), ☎ 808-259-7677, . 9AM-5PM. Home of Double Paws Wear and Horsechicks Hawaii, it is a combination retail store and fashion design and production studio. Here you will find cool threads, beautiful locally made product, funky retro pop-culture items, fun, artsy, horsey, eclectic and one of a kind gifts.
- Baci Bistro, Aulike St, . Romantic Italian restaurant.
- Boot's and Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen, Hekili St (across from the bowling alley). The best macadamia nut pancakes you'll ever have. They have moved to the corner intersection across from safeway.
- Buzz's Original Steakhouse, 413 Kawailoa Rd, ☎ +1 808 261-4661. Beautiful beach setting located across the street from Kailua Beach Park.
- Crepes No Ka 'Oi, 131 Hekili St (across the street from the bowling alley), ☎ +1 808 263-4088, . M-Th 7AM-8PM, F Sa 7AM-99PM, Su 7AM-2PM and closed Tu. Sweet and savory crepes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and in-between. Also a great assortment of gourmet loose leaf teas and Illy Italian coffee. Under $10.
- Kalapawai Cafe, (at the entrance to Kailua town from the Pali), . Coffee, sandwiches during the day; wine bar and small plates at night.
- Pinky's Pupu Bar & Grill, Kalaheo Ave.
- The Shack, (off of Keolu Dr). Sports bar setting with great burgers and sandwiches.
- Times Coffee Shop, Hamakua Dr. A small cafe that serves the great "fried rice".
- Zia's Caffè Italian Family Restaurant, (on Hamakua Dr next to Boardrider's). Simple cafe with great taste.
- Zippy's, Oneawa St, . Hawaii's favorite local restaurant.
- Lanikai Juice Company, . Smoothies & More.
- Bob's Sports Bar Inc., (on Hamakua Dr).
- Boardrider's Bar & Grill, (on Hamakua Dr). Formerly Jaron's.
- Creekside, (on Hamakua Dr).
- Kailua Palace, (off of Kailua Rd).
- Morning Brew, 600 Kailua Rd (near Times Market), ☎ +1 808 262-7770, . Coffee and more.
- Muddy Waters Espresso Cafe, (in the Aikahi Park Shopping Center). Coffee and assortment of desserts & vegetarian delis. Listen to nightly entertainment; Blues, Folk, and Christian varieties.
- Ohana Karaoke, (in the Kailua Shopping Center).
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!