Jostedalsbreen is in Sogn og Fjordane of Norway. Jostedalsbreen is the largest glacier on the European mainland.
The glacier and the mountain around became a national park in 1991.
Mountains, some of them bare-scrubed by the ice. Valleys. And Claciers, witch rise to a height of 2083 m (6833 ft).
Flora and fauna
At lower elevation the flora is quite rich. This is because of the melting-water from the ice. Closer to the glacier the flora is artic. On the glacier there is not much animals. But red deer, lynx and wolverines could sometime be seen. In the mountains and valleys around the fauna is richer. Expecially the red deer could often be seen. Eagles could also be seen.
In the valleys and the mountain area around the glacier the climate can be temperated in summertime. On the glacier the temperature is lower. And there can fall snow even in mid-summer.
There is no fee to enter the park.
There are no road in the park. So the only option is walking.
The following atractions are related to the glacier and the park. However they are situated outside the boundaries of the park.
- Norsk bremuseum (Glacier museum), Fjærland, ☎ +47 57693288 (email@example.com, fax: +47 57693287). Jun-Aug: 9AM-7PM, Apr-May and Sep-Oct: 10AM-4PM. Museum regarding glaciers. Also visitorcenter for the park. Adult:110 kr, students: 50 kr, children: 50 kr.
- Jostedalsbreen Nasjonalparksenter, Oppstryn, ☎ +47 57877200 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Visitorcenter, with exhepition about flora, fauna and geology in the park.
- Breheimsenteret, Jostedal, ☎ +47 57683250 (email@example.com, fax: +47 57683240), . 1 May-31 Sep: 10AM-5PM, 21Jun-20Aug: 10AM-7PM. Visitorcenter.
If you only would like to see the glacier, without walking on it, this are the best options:
- Nigardsbreen. In Jostedal, 63 km from Sogndal. In the end of the road there is parking space. From there departures a small boat over the water in front of the glacier. The journeys takes 30 minutes.
- Bøyabreen. In Fjærland, close to route 5 towards Skei. It is possible to see the glacier from the parking space. Or you could walk for about half an our in relativily flat terain.
- Supphellebreen. In Fjærland. 10 km on a side road from the village.
- Briksdalsbreen. In the end of the valley. 22 km from Olden. This is posibly the most well known view of the glacier. From the parking space you could walk 2,5 km or ride with motorized vehicles caled troll-car.
Trekking and glacier walking. Here is a list of organized glacier tours:
- Bødalsbreen, (Meet at Sande Camping), ☎ +47 57876800 or +47 57874040. 10 Jun-15 Sep: at 10AM. A five hour treking, including three hour on the glacier. Children under tvelwe years are not allowed. 500 kr.
- Nigardsbreen, Nigardsbre (Meet diect by the glacier), ☎ +47 57683111 (firstname.lastname@example.org). at 11:30AM, 12:30PM, 14PM, 15PM. An easy tour, also suitable for children. Minimum age is six year. Adult: 200 kr, Children: 100 kr.
- Flatbreen, Fjærland (Meet at Bøyum Camping), ☎ +47 92854674 or +47 57693189. 1 Jul-31Aug: At 8:15 AM. A tour suitable for person with some physical training. Treking for nine hour, including 3 hour on the glacier. Only children over ten year.
Inividual tours could be aranged with the tour-guide upon request.
- Flatbrehytta, Fjærland, ☎ +47 57693229.
- Briksdalsbre fjellstove, Briksdalsbre, ☎ +47 57876800.
- Bødalseter, Loen, ☎ +47 57874590.
- Tungestølen turisthytte, Veitastrond, ☎ +47 41404655 (email@example.com), .
There are no designated camping ground in the park.
Do not enter the glacier without proper equiment. And together with someone who know what they are dooing. Preferably in a organized group with a tour-guide. The sunray get reflected from the white snow, so it nescesary to use sunscreen to protect the skin. Bring warm clothes for tours on the glacier.