Jim Thorpe is a borough in Carbon County, near Lehighton, Allentown and Lehigh Valley, in the state of Pennsylvania in the United States of America.
The closest airport is Lehigh Valley International Airport, near Allentown. It's booking code is ABE. Lehigh Valley International is roughly a thirty-minute drive from Jim Thorpe.
Domestic flights arrive from Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Charlotte and other Mid-west and East coast hubs. Airlines serving Jim Thorpe inclue US Airways, Delta, Northwest, United, Allegiant, and Pace.
Philadelphia and Newark
If you are more interested in a better fare, you may chose to fly into Philadelphia International Airport (booking code PHL) or Newark Liberty International Airport (booking code EWR). US Airways operates a large hub in Philadelphia and Continental operates a hub in Newark, so there is a good chance you have a direct flight to and from your home airport.
If you are looking for low fares, Southwest flies into Philadelphia as does AirTran. Finding low fares into Newark and Philadelphia is much easier than finding lower fares into Allentown. though Allentown is more closely situated.
Susquehanna Bus Lines offers daily service to Jim Thorpe from both New York City or Philadelphia, with several stops in between. As of 1/2010, the prices are about $45 round-trip to Philly, and $65 r/t to NYC. Leave NYC at 7am or 4pm, or leave Philly at 7:30am or 4:30pm Either way, arrive in Jim Thorpe at 11am or 7pm.
Once you land, you must have a car. Jim Thorpe and the surrounding region have no significant means of public transportation.
Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia and Newark airports have most major rental car agencies on-site. There is also an Enterprise location in Lehighton.
- The Number 9 Mine and Museum, Lansford, . Travel into a real coal mine and learn about the area's coal mining past.
- Asa Packer Mansion, Downtown, . An mansion built in the late 1800s by an influential family.
- Pocono Whitewater Rafting, . This takes place April through October. Rates start at $31.95. Water on the Lehigh River is very shallow during most of the year.
- Blue Mountain Ski Area  is just a few minutes from Jim Thorpe and features several ski hills and a snow tubing area. An all day lift ticket is $39. Check out the ski package in conjunction with Mahoning Inn.
- the Jim Thorpe eXperience (JTX), 37 West Broadway ((call for tours)), ☎ 484-225-1209, . daily. The Jim Thorpe eXperience is a guide service offering hiking, biking, kayak and walking tours in and around Jim Thorpe, PA. Local guides relate the amazing history of the area, while guests enjoy exhilarating outdoor adventures. Tour packages on website or custom tours available. $45-95.
- Sales tax. The state's 6% sales tax does not apply to most clothing.
- Lehighton has a small mall with a Deb, food store, drug store and a gift store, among a few other shops.
- The Lehigh Valley mall is about forty minutes away. Anchored by a JCPenney, Boscov's and Macy's, the mall is home to many more specialty stores and is undergoing expansion at the moment. A multitude of other stores, like TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Sears, Best Buy, Borders, Barnes and Nobles surround the mall, as do more restaurants, especially mid-level chains.
- Tannersville Outlets  are also about forty minutes away, home to outlet stores run by various designers and companies.
- The King of Prussia mall is one of the biggest malls in the country, and just about an hour and a half down the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The King of Prussia is anchored by Nordstrom, Macy's, JCPenney, Sears, Neiman Marcus and Lord & Taylor, as well as many specialty stores.
- Through the Looking Glass, . Romantic atmosphere, live entertainment and interesting eclectic decor. Their breads are all homemade. They offer 6 varieties of soup daily. There are board games and Internet access. This is also a very romantic venue, with dim lights and oil lamps on the tables. Please beware that the service is slow (they admit this) and the management may be hostile should there be a need to manage a problem with your order.
- Platz's, just off of the Mahoning Valley exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike immediately off of Route 209 outside of Lehighton. Platz's is a restaurant similar to Ruby Tuesdays or Applebee’s. The decor and the menu options are similar, however it is not a chain and maintains some local charm. They are well known within the area for their dry buffalo wings.
- Pizza Hut Located in Lehighton. If you have a craving for pizza, you may want to try Pizza Hut, although there are several independent pizza shops in the area. This location also has a salad bar.
- Pepper Jack's Tex-Mex Grill, located in the central Jim Thorpe business district. Expect a cozy, clean atmosphere and friendly staff. However, be wary of the "nachos", which consist of little more than cold velveeta and corn chips tossed on a plate. Nachos aside, the rest of the menu is suspect at best and is far from authentic Tex-Mex.
- Macaluso's, at the Lantern Inn off of Route 209 between Jim Thorpe and Nesquehoning, . A bit more expensive and much more elegant than the above mentioned restaurants, Macaluso's serves Italian food. Highly recommended if you are looking for a more upscale dining experience while in the area.
- Trainer's Inn, Route 209 outside of Lehighton. Upholds a very high reputation with local residents and many tourists. According to many opinions, it has great food.
- Emerald Restaurant/Molly Maguires Pub, Broadway within The Inn at Jim Thorpe. The upstairs, Emerald, is a more traditional dining atmosphere versus Molly Maguires Pub, which is in the basement and offers pub fare. Pricing is average and food is above average.
Hotels and Motels
- The Inn at Jim Thorpe, .
- Mahoning Inn, . (Lehighton)
- Country Inn and Suites, . (Lehighton)
- Hampton Inn, . (Lehighton)
- The Lantern, . (Nesquehoning)
Bed and Breakfasts
- Angel of the Morning Bed and Breakfast, ☎ +1 888 325-2961.
- Alexander House, . Located in the small town of Andreas, this bed and breakfast is further away from Jim Thorpe than other lodging offerings, a twenty to thirty minute drive.
- The Guest House, Lehighton, (610) 377-1857.
- Suites on Broadway, . Located in the center of Jim Thorpe's Historical District. Features private suites for two adults. (570) 325-3570.
- Susquehanna Bus Lines offers daily service to and from Jim Thorpe, with ultimate destinations being New York City or Philadelphia, with several stops in between. As of 1/2010, the prices are about $45 round-trip to Philly, and $65 r/t to NYC. Leave JT at 9am or 5:30pm. Arrive from the cities at 11am or 7pm.
- Trans-Bridge Lines  New York/Atlantic City side trips. The area is only about two hours away from both [New York] and [Atlantic City]. Trans-Bridge offers frequent trips into New York from Allentown, with occasional trips into Atlantic City.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!