Jebel Toubkal is a mountain in Morocco's Atlas Mountains.
From Marrakech take a shared taxi to Imlil, cost 40 MAD per seat. The journey takes 75-90 minutes. The taxis leave from a small market 1km (2 blocks) south of the Bab-er-Rob, bus 35 from the Medina goes there. Taxis can be scarce after about 11:00. There should be no need to change transport at Asni as suggested in some older guide books or websites. In Imlil there is a mountain guide agency right next to the car park where the grand taxis are parked. Here a number of people will approach you either proposing the guide you to the refuges or to sell you a map. The maps are not very helpful and are quite expensive! It is perfectly simple to make the walk without a map or guide and to simple ask for directions on the trail if unsure.
From Imlil walk to the Toubkal or CAF Refuge, about 6 hours, straight up the valley through Aroumd and Sidi Chamharouch. A more interesting route crosses the low pass to the west of Imlil to Azib Tamsoult (keep high and head south once across the pass, 4hrs). Camp or stay overnight at the gite there. Next day continue up the gorge past an awesome waterfall and turn sharp left at a path junction (1.5 hours). Go right at the next path junction about 30 minutes further on. Zigzag up an enormous scree slope to a pass with superb views of Toubkal (3 hrs). Descend easily southeast to the refuges. This is a recently constructed route that isn't shown on many maps.
The ascent is on a good, well-marked path all the way. From the refuges cross the river below a waterfall (difficult after heavy rain). Scramble out of the gorge and follow a good path across a scree slope. Continue across boulders to a stream. Cross the stream and scramble up some rocks (cairned). The path makes a loop to the left, then a steep section threads through some massive rocks. The path continues up the corrie and zigzags up to a col at about 4000 metres. Turn left at the col. You can cut the corner here, but the views are better if you stay close to the ridge. After a couple of false summits you see the true summit with its steel surveyors' tower. Towards the top the ridge itself is difficult, so the path stays on the left (west) flank. Takes about 2.5 hours if you're acclimatized.
- Bouinbaden Mohamed, Imlil, PO BOX 15 Asni 42150 Marrakesh, Morocco, GSM: + 188.8.131.52 .26 TEL: +184.108.40.206.26 FAX: + 212.24.37.05 .56, E-mail: email@example.com . Mountain guide and a child of the country; he was selected and formed by the CFAMM (Centre de Formation aux Métiers de Montagne) in Tabant, Aït Bouguemmaz. This hospitable Berber, Attentive, effective, professional, likes to accommodate the walker and to help him discover his country with all the respect and the necessary attention. Mohamed called “Moudir” is one of the first mountain guides to graduate in Morocco, with more than 30 years of experience. Skiing, summer and winter treks, climbs, excursions on 4x4. Organizes transportation, food, accommodation, mules and muleteers and the organisation he provides a complete itinerary for your chosen activity, for a very reasonable price.
- Valleys and solid mass of Toubkal.
- Wonder of the High Atlas; M'Goun.
- Walking & trekking Excursions from the Atlas to the Atlantic.
- Villages and valleys of the High Atlas on 4x4.
- Camel Excursion: the valley of Draa, gardens of the Sahara, the Atlantic coast.
- Excursion in VTT: the high Atlas and its Berber villages, the saghro summet, the djebel Siroua, the valley of Draa, throats of Dades and the valley of Imilchil…
- 4x4 Excursion: to discover the Ksours, the Kasbahs and the magic of the south.
- Atlas Trek Shop, . We are a professional and competent team (guides, muleteers, cooks,..) lead by Mohamed Aztat, an official mountain & desert tour guide Berber by origin and local to the Imlil region.Graduated from Mountain guides shcool in Tabant (CFAMM), Licenced N°385 graduated from the “Royal Moroccan Federation of Skiing and Mountaineering. Acredited Duke of Edinburgh expedition assessor. Co-founder of MTM Travel Company. Mohamed was previously a muleteer, cook and tour guide for many British companies, speak excellent English, French have 13 years experience, He truly loves his job and the region he grew up and lives in . Always proud to introduce his culture to visitors Hiking and Trekking in Morocco Whenever you want to travel and whatever your level of fitness, we can organize your trip to suit you. Whether you want to climb mountains, walk through deep shaded valleys, or ride camels accross the desert; we will enable you to experience your desired holiday. We offer and arrange day trips and longer proper hikes into the mountains, with your transfers from town laid on. We are able to suggest itineraries to meet the requirements of visitors based on the number of days available, please choose an itinerary from the list and we make it happen. If you are a party of 1, 2, 3 or more, family, group of students or Club we can, if you wish, advertise places on your tour to reduce the rate per person.
- Riad Dar Adrar, Imlil, . DAR ADRAR is a small & comfortable guest house in a serene mountain setting in the Toubkal National Park it's owned by a Berber Mountain guide living for several years on the heart of the high Atlas Mountains of Morocco. Guesthouse Dar Adrar features cosy and neat accommodation in beautiful, colourful Berber-style guestrooms, 5 of them with private bathrooms offering grand views over the valley (2 of them with private chimney) , as well as 5 standard rooms with shared facilities , a roof terrace with panoramic views over the Imlil valley, and an on-site Hammam or Turkish bath. A complimentary breakfast is served every day from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. and delicious home-cooked meals can be provided on request. Guests staying at the Dar Adrar can also enjoy trekking & hiking tours starting righ away from the door, guided by the owner Mohamed Aztat himself, a qualified Atlas mountain guide and conveniently rent or buy the necessary mountaineering equipment in the on-site shop by the frontdesk.
- The Imi N'ouassif Guest House, Opposite the ancient village of Fimlil between fields, walnut trees, . Mohamed Bouinbaden is a mountain guide, he was born in Imlil, which is close to the High Atlas mountains North African’s greatest mountain range, the most intriguing and the most beautiful region of Morocco. He is the owner of the 1st ranked guest house in the High Atlas and Imlil "Imi N'ouassif". Imi n'ouassif is a very pleasant and clean Guest House, trekkers have used this House since it opened in 2000. Moulay Ali Guardian, manager & cook, a very smart and intelligent man. Facilities: two sit-down flush toilets, three hot showers. 10 rooms for sleeping middle floor dining area top floor large terrace area an additional room. Meals are prepared in the kitchen next upstairs, you can prepare your own meal by yourself! The Guest House in Imlil can sleep up to 20 people a night and also provides food for people staying and for any trips which they might undertake.