- 1st: New Years Day (Gregorian calendar). All night parties and celebrations including fireworks displays in many cities, especially Western ones.
- 26th: Australia Day in Australia, a public holiday commentorating the arrival of the convict first fleet in 1788.
- Late January or early February: Chinese New Year, celebrated in China, Singapore and anywhere where there are large concentrations of Chinese
- Late January or early February: Korean Lunar New Year (Seollal), South Korea
- Late January or early February: Vietnamese New Year (Tết), Vietnam