Revision as of 05:12, 31 August 2010
This article is a travel topic
This is a calendar of events and festivals in the month of January.
- 1st: New Years Day (Gregorian calendar) - all night parties and celebrations including fireworks displays in cities and locations worldwide, but especially Western ones
- Late January or early February: Chinese New Year, celebrated in China, Singapore and anywhere where there are large concentrations of Chinese
- 26th: Australia Day in Australia - a public holiday commemorating the arrival of the convict First Fleet in 1788 and the establishment of both the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales. It is celebrated by community events in most suburbs and towns around Australia and in grand style in the city centres and Sydney (especially).
- Australia's largest country music festival is held in Tamworth, northern New South Wales
- 5th: Winter Light Fest, ,Edmonton. This is an attempt at a world class festival of winter in Edmonton. It shall combine Ice on Whyte and a few other events, as well a bunch of new ones to create a winter fest to rival Quebec. It shall run until March.
- January 19 (20 on Leap Year): Timkat Festival Christian celebration with reenactments of Baptism and dancing in Gondar
- 1st: The Paris Parade Festival,  in Paris
See also: Festivals and Events in the Philippines#January
- January 22-26: Dinagyang Festival, A spectacular festival in honor of the Sto. Nino, also one of the most popular festivals in the Philippines and is held Iloilo City, streets are filled up with people as dancers dance and as music plays, colors and sound of the festival brighten up the atmosphere.
- January 22-27: Boracay International Fun Board Cup, held in the white sand beach of Boracay, this is the biggest windsurfing event in the Philippines, people around the world gather and compete.
- January 13th/14th: New Year According to the Julian Calendar. Russians are probably the only people in the world that celebrate New Year twice.
- 31 January to 3 February 2008: MPH Motoring Theatre  at the Cocal-Cola Dome  in Johannesburg with the guys from BBC's Top Gear show
- Mid January: Dusi Canoe Marathon, , in KwaZulu-Natal
- Late January or early February: Korean Lunar New Year (Seollal), South Korea
- Epiphany day is a Christian feast intended to celebrate the incarnation of God in Jesus Christ. National Bank holiday and the official end of the Christmas season in Spain.
- Late January: Kiruna Snow Festival,  in Kiruna
- Last Tuesday in January: Lerwick Up Helly Aa,  in Lerwick on the Shetland Islands. A fire festival celebrating the influence of the Vikings on Scotland, culminating in the burning of a Viking galley.
- Late January or early February: Vietnamese New Year (Tết), Vietnam