| || |
| || |
Revision as of 14:47, 8 February 2009
Western Suburbs are a collection of Istanbul neighborhoods, lying west of the city walls of old city. Bakırköy is the main center of this part of the city.
The western suburbs of Istanbul are mostly residential areas and range from multi-million villas in Florya on the coast of Marmara Sea to slums of Bağcılar in the north. In general, the districts on the Marmara coast are upscale, while the districts located farther north inland are full of buildings with no respect to building codes, and minimal aesthetic expectations (slum, in short).
Istanbul’s primary airport, Atatürk International (IST), is located near Yeşilköy, within this district. For more detailed information about how to get to the city center from the airport, see the respective section of main Istanbul article. Please note, while the nearest neighborhood to the airport is Yeşilköy, it is not possible to walk or otherwise easily get to the airport from Yeşilköy, so it is important not to catch a bus or a train with a stop in ‘Yeşilköy’ while in need of getting to the airport. Always look for the dedicated ‘Airport’ (Havaalanı/Havalimanı) stop/station. The instructions on the main Istanbul article are correct, though.
A suburban train (banliyö treni) line connects the coastal part of this district (including Bakırköy and Yeşilköy) with Sirkeci and with numerous other stations located in old city.
Trains from destinations in Europe or European Turkey don’t call at any of the stations located within this district. If you are arriving by a long-distance train, best way to get to these suburbs is to get off the (long-distance) train at Sirkeci station (last station) and then, to catch a suburban train there to your final destination.
Both the southern metro line (departure from Aksaray in city center) and the tram line (with stops in many places in old city and further beyond) eventually reaches somewhere within this district.
Dolmuşes operate on the following lines, almost 24 hours a day:
As anywhere else in Istanbul, there is a vast number of bus lines connecting this district with the rest of the city. The numbers of most useful lines are as follows:
- 71T Taksim-Ataköy (via Aksaray in old city and a stop a little distance away from downtown Bakırköy)
- 72T Taksim-Yeşilköy (via Aksaray in old city and a stop a little distance away from downtown Bakırköy)
- 81 Eminönü-Yeşilköy (via the avenue located directly on the coast)
- 94A Beyazıt-Bakırköy
Also very long, hybrid buses called Metrobüs which have their right-of-way ply through a route in the middle of the major highway heading west, in the north of Bakırköy. They depart from Mecidiyeköy and cut travel time dramatically.
Fast ferries from places in the Asian Side, or occasionally from Eminönü arrive at Bakırköy pier.
- Yeşilköy. A neighbourhood lying on the coast of Marmara Sea, Yeşilköy, or St. Stephen (Agios Stephanos) as called in ancient times, still partly retains more of a town atmosphere with its wooden mansions, churches, and a long verdant park lying along the beach - perfect to take a walk. (Buses: 72T from Taksim and Bakırköy, 81 from Eminönü; dolmuşes from Taksim; suburban train from Sirkeci and Bakırköy)
- Beyti Restaurant, Orman sokak No:8, Florya, ☎ +90 212 663 29 90 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +90 212 663 29 95), . Tue-Sun. Simply, one of the best restaurants in Istanbul, favoured by diners thanks to its delicious meat in the 45's at Küçükçekmece, in a pleasant environment, is like a monument of tradition remembered by people at every age. It has an honourable and respectable level on Turkish and international press. From 50 - 150 TL per person.
- Yüksel Balık Lokantası, Liman Sokak No:3, Yeşilköy, ☎ +90 212 663 97 42, . Great seafood. They can give great advice on what is the best fish for the season and other dishes in general. Around US$ 50 per person.
- Airport Hotel, Atatürk Airport International Terminal (in the airport), ☎ +90 212 425 40 30, .
- Radisson SAS Conference and Airport Hotel, E-5 Karayolu, Sefaköy, ☎ +90 212 425 73 73, . 5-star hotel located close to the airport. Free airport shuttles are provided.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!