This article is a travel topic
An international dialling prefix is a telephone dialling code used to dial out of a country when making an international call. It's also called international access code, International Direct Dialling (IDD) code, exit code, international call prefix, etc. This is done to avoid confusing the country code with the first few digits of a local phone number.
These codes are different from the unique country calling code every country has which is used to dial in to that country.
When making a call between countries, the caller must first dial the international dialling prefix, then the destination country calling code, then (usually) an area code, then the local subscriber's phone number.
The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) recommends 00 as the general standard for an international call prefix, and this has been implemented by a large number of countries, but not all of them International Telecommunication Union (ITU-T), E.164 - 12 (Page 22). This page only lists the exceptions, but rapid developments may make this list out of date. See External links for externally maintained lists which may be more up-to-date.
Plus (+) sign
When phone numbers are published for use abroad they typically include the country calling code, but show a plus sign (+) prefix in place of any international dialling prefix, to signify that the caller should use the prefix code appropriate for their country International Telecommunication Union (ITU-T), E.123 - 7.1 (Page 9).
Many phones, particularly mobile phones allow this "+" to be entered in their saved number lists, often by holding down the '0' key (most GSM mobile phones) or with two consecutive presses of the * key. When making a call the system then automatically converts the "+" to the correct international prefix, depending on where the phone is being used, which enables callers to use the same stored number from any country they find themselves in.
The disadvantage of the using the "+" sign is that there are some countries that have special international dialling prefixes that offer discounted overseas rates. The "+" sign will automatically be converted to the default dialling prefix which usually carries the regular overseas rates, hence you could forego the discounts.
- If a caller in the USA or Canada wants to call the Mayor of Dunedin in New Zealand, they would dial 011 64 3 477 4000. (The generic international call prefix for North American Numbering Plan (NANPA) countries is 011, then the country code for New Zealand is 64, the area code for Dunedin is 3, and the local number for the Dunedin City Council is 477 4000).
- If a caller in Japan wants to call the same number, they would instead dial 010 64 3 477 4000.
- If a caller in Australia wants to call the same number, they would instead dial 0011 64 3 477 4000.
- If a caller in the UK, China or any other country using the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) recommended 00 prefix, to call the same number they would instead dial 00 64 3 477 4000.
Some Telecommunications service providers or Mobile network operators (wireless carriers) have different international call prefix codes which callers or subscribers can use to route calls through specific networks, sometimes with special pricing arrangements.
Many countries also provide alternative dialling arrangements for calls to neighbouring countries. []
Some of these variations from the generic codes are shown in the list below (but may be out of date).
Countries by International Prefix
all countries not listed below and including but not restricted to:
- All European Union countries
- Most countries in Africa
- Most countries in the Middle East
- Some countries in the former Soviet Republics
- Some countries in Asia
- Most countries in South America
- 00 ~
- Hungary Note: ~ indicates an additional dial tone. It only applies when calling from a landline.
- 00x, where x is the international carrier selection code
- Kenya: 0, 5, 6, 7
- Colombia: 5, 7, 9
- Cambodia: 1, 7
- Indonesia: 1, 7, 8, 9
- Singapore: 1, 8
- South Korea: 1, 2, 3xx, 5, 6, 7xx, 8
- Hong Kong:
- 1 – PCCW
- 60 – PCCW low-cost service
- 7 – The Wharf (Holdings)
- 8 – Hutchison Telecom
- 9 – New World Development Co. Ltd.
- Taiwan: 2, 5, 6, 7, 9
- 00xx, where xx is a carrier selection code
- 12 - CTBC
- 14 - Brasil Telecom
- 15 - Vivo
- 21 - Embratel
- 25 - Global Village Telecom (GVT)
- 31 - Oi
- 41 - TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile)
- 00xxx, where xxx is a carrier selection code
- 01x, where x is the international carrier selection code
- Israel, where to encourage competition between international telephone carriers, a system of prefixes beginning with 01x was introduced, in addition to the 00 prefix. For example, if the subscriber dials 018-1-202-555-1212, the call will be routed to North America via Xfone.
- 012 – 012-Smile
- 013 – 013-NetVision
- 014 – Bezeq International
- 018 – Xfone
- 011 - Any country in the North American Numbering Plan (NANPA)
- 1xx0, where xx is the international carrier selection code
- 8xx, where xx is the international carrier selection code
- Georgia (00 prefix for default carrier is also admissible instead of 8xx)
- 07 – Caucasus Online
- 10 – Telecom Georgia
- 11 – Egrisi (Akhali Kselebi)
- 16 – Silknet (former UTG)
- 18 – Global One
- 54 – Lagi
- 60 – Geonet
- 69 – Service Ltd.
- Russia (for "carrier hot choice" subscribers)
- 10 – Rostelecom
- 26 – Arctel
- 27 – Synterra
- 28 – Comstar
- 56 – GoldenTelecom
- 57 – Transtelecom
- 58 – MTT
- 59 – Orange Business Services
- Finland, where to encourage competition between international telephone carriers, a system of prefixes beginning with 99 was introduced in addition to the 00 prefix. For example, if the subscriber dials 990-1-202-555-1212, the call will be routed to North America via TeliaSonera.
- 990 – TeliaSonera Finland Oyj
- 991 – Saunalahti Group Oyj
- 992 – Globetel Oy
- 994 – TDC Oy FINLAND
- 99500 – Cubio Communications Ltd
- 99511 - Helistamine OU
- 99532 – Saunalahti Group Oyj
- 99533 – TDC Oy FINLAND
- 99541 – DNA Oy
- 99551 – Cubio Communications Ltd
- 99555 – DNA Oy
- 99559 – Elisa Oyj
- 99577 – TDC Oy FINLAND
- 99588 – Globetel Oy
- 99590 – TeliaSonera Finland Oyj
- 99599 – Scandicom Oy
- 996 – DNA Oy
- 9977 – Elisa Oyj
- 998 – Orange Business Finland Oy
- 999 – Elisa Oyj
- Standards and recommendations
|This is a guide article. It has good, detailed information covering the entire topic. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!