|Ijevan is a city in Northern Armenia. Just 25 minutes north of Dilijan, it has a much different feel. More of a real town, built along a river, and less of the forested resort feel. The market along the highway is the biggest in the area, and very active. There are some really cool buildings, and nice parks and homes in town, with the river and cafes a great place to stop and enjoy the local scene. There is a Tourist Information office in town, though you shouldn't count on them having an English speaker on hand necessarily.
Minibus/Van from Yerevan's northern bus station. Shared taxi, taxi, care rental.
Walk, or grab a cab.
The town is very nice to explore on foot. Some cool old Soviet architecture, from the old hotels to the chess house are quite cool. Many old homes are of a very nice traditional style, and the river is quite good aside from the litter. There is even a sculpture park, an old ferris wheel needing repairs, and a semi-abandoned botanic garden. Aside from just exploring a bit on foot, there isn't much in the way of specific sites. It's just a pleasant town with some good places to explore in the region.
- Makaravank Monastery, Achajur Village (16km north of Ijevan). The biggest monastery near Ijevan (if you count Goshavank as part of Dilijan's turf), this purple and green stone complex in the forest above the village is a popular spot for a picnic.
- Yenokavan Canyon, Yenokavan Village (1st village north of Ijevan), ☎ (0 263) 3-14-65 Ijevan land line (091) 36-54-37. This canyon is a like a time machine, where once you're past the top of the village, traces of modern life disappear. You are left with beautiful cliffs, forests, rivers, cascades, caves with deep carvings resembling Mayan or Aztec work, and a small camping area with a tree-house, a tiki-style bar, and other shelter made from the sticks and logs of the canyon. It's an awesome place where a guide will take you in, and set up your camping and food for you. Just call!
- Srveghi Monastery, Srveghi Village. This red brick monastery is covered in the Shamshadin section surrounding Berd, but it's quite close to Ijevan.
- Acharkut and Kirants Valley, above Kirants and Acharkut Villages. Above these villages, following the mud road through the lush forest along the river, you first come to the turnoff to Arakelots Monastery on your right, then to the bridge on to your left to get to Deghdznuti Monastery, then further past the bridge is Kirants Monastery. All three are well worth a visit, and combined it's an awesome day... if you can find them!
- Voskepar Church. This 7th century Armenian church in the ruined Azeri village of Askipari, is technically in Azerbaijan. Armenia now controls the territory now and the church is easily seen from the new highway, which is wholly in Armenia.
- Misc. Churches around Ijevan. Some smaller and less significant/impressive churches in the area include the village churches of Gandzakar and Yenokavan, the smaller monastery or Moro-Dzoro near Lusahovit, and Ijevan's own smaller new church.
The tourist information office sells some local handicrafts, from wood carving to small carpets. There is also a local wine factory you might be able to visit and pick up some wine from.
There are a few places in town to get some food, near the market (shuka).
Same as the places to eat.
- Geghetsik Rest-House, Spitak Lakes territory, Ijevan, ☎ (+374 263) 34603, 32195 (093) 992202. This building is situated on a hillside, looking out over a forested landscape. It is located five kilometers from Ijevan. Visitors can avail themselves of the many mountain hiking trails in the area. Amenities: The bed, wardrobe, chair, cold water, heating, bathroom, toilet , TV set(in some rooms) and 2 TV sets general in the lobby, hot water is also available at certain hours 7-9,000/person.
- Milena Guest House, Getahovit village, Ijevan, ☎ (+374 263) 3 21 01. 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 8 beds, has 3 balconies with picturesque scenery
Tourist Information office, or city hall.
Same options as getting in.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!